rkaiser

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
I have been shopping for a tank and the price differences from vendor to vendor are insane. I tried to compare apples to apples as far as what they say you are getting and am sure quality is a factor.

I am looking at a 72"x30"x25" and the price fluxuation was close to 2000.00. Lowest I found was glass cages starting at 990.00 for a 72x36x25 and with the options came out to about 1500. highest other quote was 4880.00

What can someone expect to pay for a 3 sided starphire peninsula tank with the dimensions above? With usual updates, black silicone/ polished/bevel edges, etc?

This is almost as confusing as building my house.

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
You can expect higher prices from other places like miracles and such. I was quoted 4k from them for mine. GC came out to ~2.5k + taxes and delivery so the difference wasn't that huge. And from what ive seen between glass cages which seems to be the cheapest and the other custom places is thought put into building the tanks and cleanliness. I still don't get how they get prices down that low but your getting a descently done glass box for what you pay for. We don't know who else you went to so hard for people to say "such and such will give you a beautiful tank compared to GC". although GC tanks do look alot better than what i used to see 3 years ago.

rkaiser

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I didn't want to bash any vendors here, as they are all respected in the field. I just don't get the cost fluxuation. Even folks that build the tank themselves aren't sure how GC is doing it. Which makes it a little scary.

Either that or they are pushing down costs to make tank pricing more realistic and affordable....more likely trying to deal in quantity over quality.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Most of the complaints, that I've seen about GLASS CAGES, had to do with 'sloppy' silicone work on glass tanks. (which you should be able to clean up, if it happens). I have a 450g acrylic tank from them , that is custom made to my specs...came just the way I wanted, delivered early, and was FAR less expensive than any other quote I got! :shhh: The cost of living is MUCH less in Tennesee!

Semibfy

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yeah, I didn't want to bash any vendors here, as they are all respected in the field. I just don't get the cost fluxuation. Even folks that build the tank themselves aren't sure how GC is doing it. Which makes it a little scary.

Either that or they are pushing down costs to make tank pricing more realistic and affordable....more likely trying to deal in quantity over quality.

One thing for sure, make sure the custom mfr are fully insured, including repair/replacing wood floors etc etc.. Not kidding.
Well known mfr are known to be very reliable when unfortunate mishap take place thus bit more costly. Shop around. I know FT in Queens NY used to have the cheapest prices on commonly avail tanks. Like any other business, each lfs have thier own marketing strategies to bring customers in.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
no one sells factory tanks cheaper then petland discounts, factory tank pricing will vary depending on the quanity of tansk they purchase, petland purchase's thousands at a time making them able to sell considerable cheaper. ive owned a few glass cages tanks as well. other then sloppy sealant work and glass could be cut a little better there is nothing wrong with their tanks

Tim

Tim`s Aquatics
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
If you do get a custom tank made and delivered to your house make sure you open and inspect it before the shipping co. leaves. I have a friend who had a tank delivered from Canada the shipping co. dropped it off and the owner never inspected it.When he unpacked it, it cracked in two spots rite in front of him.He called the builder and they said there was nothing they could do. Needless to say he was out about $5000. Lesson learned the hard way.....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: