Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
SlamaJama said:
not really park slope but vn store on 86th st and bay 16th ( by 18th ave )

Watch out for the fish there though. The system has diease-all tanks are interconnected. The owners have to constantly combat dieases for their collections. Well, at least the owners treat the sick fishes rather than, like couple other LFS in Brooklyn, just let them die in the tanks without any interests in saving them.

remy109

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi, I'm new on MR, so far i know that shops by sunset park sucks, these stores don't know much about sw. and they're over price on some of thier livestock and all accessories.
I've know the owner on 8th ave and 65th Street for years. They just recently moved from 8th ave btw 58th and 59th street. I went buy yesturday to look for a aqua tongs (grabber), they were charging $38 for it. I could have bought 3 for the same price, not to also mention i had them custom order a backsplash 3 weeks ago and it's still not in yet. WTF!!!

The Store on 11th Ave do not seem to have much stuff every time i went by they didn't have much live stock quantity.

I have decided to bring my business elsewhere, I been to this new store on Ave X & 22nd street, I believe the name of the place is Underwater Creations, The staff there are very polite and had my custom orders come in on time, not to mention their excellent pricing on live stock woohoo!!!!, they threw in a couple of freebies for spending $200 my first time there. I could resist all of the uniques live stocks they had.

Last edited:

charile1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
MOIDOL said:
65th street off 8th ave this one don't know jack about SW. $35 for a 5" blue carpet and I have to take it out of the tank my self...lol

They are selling them for $99 now. I guess they caught on. :)

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
$35 for a blue carpet. Damn!.

i don't know what is up with the place on 86 and 18th but they were trying to charge me $50 for purple firefish. did they think they were helfrichi firefish or something?

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
This is no surprise. I actually thought they were closed already. It is becoming almost impossible for brick and mortar stores in NYC ( and most places in the US) to compete with the internet for drygoods and basement operations for livestock. Look at our own community as an example.

The nature of the industry is changing, and I'm not sure that is a good thing long term. What it leaves is really cheap, bad low end shops and really expensive high end stores.

The main question B&M shops raise ( and I think it is a valid one) is where are the new hobbyists going to be generated from? You don't just walk into an internet aquarium site and decide to buy a setup.

It will be intersting to see how this plays out over the next few years.
Randy

tosiek

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
Its very depressing. Just a simple decline in certain types of stores in the new york area through internet or wholesale stores popping up everywhere.

home depot for one destroyed alot of small hardware stores and plumbing suppliers/general contracting goods stores. Used to take a 5 min ride to pick up anything i needed in the morning on the way to a jobsite at really good prices. Now alot have closed down, only a few are around (bout 50% decrease over the past 2-4 years) and the ones that remain the same are super expensive and don't have alot in stock. 2 more stores near me are closing down soon because of it. Janovic paints is about to close down one of them in the near future due to paint costing 2-10$ less per gallon of pain.

Pretty much leaves u with just dealing with home depot where u will spend a good 3 hours in line before u leave. And the service sucks as well as the quality of some items, you need to know the store to find anything reliably, anyone you ask tells you to find someone from the section, who usually is in the back jerking off. But you can;t beat their prices. Good luck finding straight 2x4's if you need more than 5 though.

Also now everyones home that they redo pretty much all looks the same, Homedepot mouldings/doors/fixtures. sometimes when i see new apartments/homes when i visit friends, they all look the same except with a different color on the walls/trim.

Pretty soon all we will be left with are coffee shops, restaurants, Bodega's and the big superstores/malls located in far parts of the boroughs. Everything else you need to shop online for.

remy109

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Does anyone know if the store on 11th Ave between 64th-65th Street is still open? or are they're going out of business?
I went by there a few times for the last 2 weeks and the store gate was down. On tuesday when i went by the store was open and a couple of guys were inside. I kept knocking on the door and all they did was look to see who was out there.
They didn't bother to leave any notes or any type of info in front of the store. that's a unprofessional way of doing business.

Last edited:

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
place between 64-65th on 11 was closed sunday. there were guys working in there. i was so pissed cuz i walked so much and when i got there they just waved me away.

place on 65th and 8th had tons of fish. i wouldn't bother w/ the corals. one tank was really nasty. apparently a huge can of fish food fell in the sump.

place on 86th and 18 has livestock coming in today. they had a 65 RR for $200. made me want to upgrade the seahorse tank.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: