jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm looking for some answers reguarding coral loosing it's color after being treated with pro coral care.

what causes this to happen, and what is the best way to help the coral regain it's color?

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
jhale said:
I'm looking for some answers reguarding coral loosing it's color after being treated with pro coral care.

what causes this to happen, and what is the best way to help the coral regain it's color?

It makesme feel a little funny inside, whe the acropora moderator asks a question which boils down to "How do I make my coral's color up" :)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
meschaefer said:
It makesme feel a little funny inside, whe the acropora moderator asks a question which boils down to "How do I make my coral's color up" :)

sorry but i never had to nuke all my coral with iodine before.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
mshur said:
jon,
dont worry,they will come back in a few weeks.
for how long did u dip them? did u find any aefw?

mike

I dipped them for as short a time as possible, I found worms on a few corals.

if I found worms they sat in the dip for about 20 minutes, no worms I took them out after five minutes. it took no more than 30 seconds for the worms to come off the coral.

one is dead it was two small, another I found too many on it to save, that was one of the original aquacultured figi colonies.

the other is a large home grown acro colony now in my holding tank. I saw maybe three worms on it. I'll dip it next week to see if there were any eggs that hatched, I could not find any eggs on it by looking at it.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
meschaefer said:

Matt,
You obviously misunderstood the meaning of this thread. While AEFW is not a new threat in nature, it is a rather new epidemic in our closed reef systems. So many people are dealing with the ill affects this bug has including myself.

This bug has forced many reefers to tear down their tanks and treat every individual acro colony in it including all the rocks. In Jhales case he had to basically start over. Throwing away some rocks and boiling others just to be sure that the worms are erradicated. Even with all the precautions he has taken there is no guarantee that all is wiped out.

Your comment suggests that you have never dipped any coral thus not knowing what the effects are on the coral. On top of stressing the coral to its limits and possibly killing it one of the less desireable effects Procure or any Iodine based medication has is that it will turn even the most brightly colored sps into a stressed brown pile of coral. Recoloring and reviving it is a serious subject.

Unless you are the type of reefer that has strict quarantime procedures that isolate newcomers for two months or more, I would suggest that you read up on Jhales latest threads on the AEFW and its effects, because more than likely you will be affected by it also.

One thing for sure is that we can agree that Jhale is a great SPS mod. Not only did he keep sps successfully but thanks to his propagation of the fine species he held in his tank, about half the people on this site are enjoying them as well.

So his question does not boil down to how do I make my sps color up. Its "how do i color up my sps after the AEFW treatment" That my friend should not make you feel "funny" as you so nicely put it.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
meschaefer said:
Does anybody know the "incubation" time for AEFW eggs?

There are no definitive timeframes as of now but they are getting closer to being able to give a definite answer.

Currently it is being said the AEFW can not survive in our tanks for more that 5 days without a host. Simply removing the coral does not cut it. You have to scrape off the encrusting base completely for the erradication to be successful.

The egg incubation time is thought to be about 2 weeks. A successfull erradication is though to take approximately 1 month if done correctly.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
DaRealDvs1 said:
Jon:
Besides the TMPC dip, would the sudden break-down of your established system & then basically setting up new........contribute to the color loss?

the coral sitting in rubbermaid bins for four days without light might have had some effect on them. but we did notice that most of the corals had retained some decent amount of color. it was after dipping a day later that the brown blahs set in.

as far as the coral was concerned it was being moved to cleaner water, I'm not sure that by itself would make them brown out.

also some of the coral had stronger negative reaction to the dip.
I doubt the purple monster will be purple any time soon, but the purple nana barely lost a beat.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
These are the horror stories that keep me awake at night. This is also why I try to dip everything for a few and then put them in a small holding tank before they get to my main. After long periods of success we are sometimes lulled into a false sense of security and thats when tragedy can strike. Also Herman, I think that Meschaefer was just trying to be light and point out the humor in the acro moderator asking that question so vaguely. It really didn't require you jumping on him like that for really no reason.

Last edited:

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
lfsmarineguy said:
These are the horror stories that keep me awake at night. This is also why I try to dip everything for a few and then put them in a small holding tank before they get to my main. After long periods of success we are sometimes lulled into a false sense of security and thats when tragedy can strike. Also Herman, I think that Meschaefer was just trying to be light and point out the humor in the acro moderator asking that question so vaguely. It really didn't require you jumping on him like that for really no reason.
There was nothing vague about the question and I fail to see the humor in losing half an established system and having to start over. There is a time and place for everything!

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
lfsmarineguy said:
I think that Meschaefer was just trying to be light and point out the humor in the acro moderator asking that question so vaguely.

to be honest after the past two weeks I'm really not in a "funny" mood about the tank. Was it that vauge? If you know what the problem is I did not think so.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
lol, lets just keep this an informative thread so that others will not have to go through the same thing as I did.
Listen to everyone when they tell you to QT all your incoming coral!!!

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
lfsmarineguy,

lfsmarineguy said:
Also Herman, I think that Meschaefer was just trying to be light and point out the humor in the acro moderator asking that question so vaguely. It really didn't require you jumping on him like that for really no reason.

I definitely see the value in trying to cast a lighter heart to the comment but I don't think it was vague, either. Although Matt may have been trying to come off as lightheartedly humorous, it did not read that way. It came off as sarcastic and inappropriate. John is a laid back person (from my experience) but is probably pretty frustrated about this whole thing. With that in mind, I would think it is better to err on the side of caution, especially when appearing to criticize a moderator.

E

ezee

Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
J,

jhale said:
lol, lets just keep this an informative thread so that others will not have to go through the same thing as I did.
Listen to everyone when they tell you to QT all your incoming coral!!!

Didn't mean to inflame things, I was posting that last one as you put this one up. I thought it was good to give Matt a good idea of what it looked like, so he knows why Herman jumped on him.

E

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: