Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Following thread, any changes, hopefully improvements?

interceptor treatment didnt seem to help.

I sent off a sample to aquariumwatertesting.com to see if they pick up anything. Did another huge water change today.

My guess is high TOC.

I don't see how it could be high TOC. I have been doing massive water changes like crazy. Have a deltec skimmer rated double my tank size. Have always kept nitrates and phosphates low. I have always had very low nutrient levels and done weekly water changes, etc.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Ken Feldman's talk was very illuminating on this point. TOC is not the same as phosphate or nitrate. In controlled experiments, it killed corals at significantly higher rates than phosphates, nitrates and even ammonia. It isn't phosphate or nitrate, so your test kits wouldn't measure it. Your skimmer will only remove, at best, approximately 20-30% of your TOC and it will peak everytime you feed and about four hours after the lights come on.

Maybe the corals are producing it faster than you can change the water? Or maybe it has built up very very slowly and it only reaching levels that are detrimental to your corals?

How much carbon are you running on your system and how often do you change it?

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
interesting theory but i have been making water like a mad man. If massive frequent water changes do not help lower my TOC than i guess i am screwed.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Lissa I do use GAC.

i just read Ken's article. At this point it looks like Ken's theory is just a theory at this point with a bit of anecdotal evidence. I will definitely look forward to reading his future findings.

The inexplicable mass mortality of corals in seemingly healthy reef aquaria remains one of the most perplexing and frustrating events in the hobby. Reef bulletin boards all too frequently contain threads that begin "Help! My tank is crashing; my corals are dying, but all of my measurable water parameters are within expected ranges. What's wrong?" Could it be possible that elevated levels of DOC, for whatever the reason, are contributing to, or even causing, the coral loss? Might increases in DOC lead to runaway growth of the corals' bacterial symbiont population that in turn might precipitate a critical imbalance in (some of) the bacterial components of the coral holobiont? These questions are not answerable at present, since there is a complete lack of data on DOC (or TOC) levels in marine aquariums. Thus, basic data like basal TOC levels in successful aquariums, and how those levels might change in response to various stimuli (i.e., tank inhabitants, feeding, different husbandry techniques, ? skimming, ? GAC, ? ozone, etc) have yet to be recorded. Only after a broad and comprehensive database of marine aquarium DOC (TOC) levels has been compiled can some judgments about the significance of DOC levels on coral (and overall livestock) health be offered.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I caught a emerald crab eating the tips of SPS and flesh off LPS once.

Why don't you set a QT tank for a few affected coral and see what happens?

I do have emeralds in my tank. Unfortunately i don't think i will be able to convince the wife of a QT tank right now. We have realtors showing our condo right now and we have to keep the place free from clutter.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Ooh, ALSO in Ken's experiment charting the fluctuations in TOC over the course of a weeklong period, his largest jump in TOC was directly after he did a water change. TOC jumped after each feeding (he feeds 3x weekly) but the biggest leap was right after the water change. We speculated a little bit about this during the Q&A section about whether or not this might have to do with removing the good stuff that helps to process the TOC (bacteria etc.) when we do water changes. Unfortunately, he didn't have a chance to repeat the experiement to see if that was an idiosyncratic week or not.

But, let's say it ISN'T - if you got a bigger peak in TOC after every water change and your TOC is peaking at fatal levels for corals, then water changes could actually be more detrimental.

When I was having this problem, I got rid of it by switching to a larger tank. While that means I did a 100% water change (I kept maybe 15g of my previous water), it means that there was a greater water volume for my TOC to be diluted and I lost a bunch of corals so there were fewer putting out TOCs.

Just some thoughts.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My results came back from aquariumwatertesting.com. Everything looks good except for low IODINE. Does anyone think low iodine could be my problem? I am going to pick up some iodine on the way home. Hope it helps...

Ammonia (NH3-4) ........................Good ........................................ 0.004
Nitrite (NO2)................................Good ........................................ 0.017
Nitrate (NO3)...............................Good ............................................2.8
Phosphate (PO4) ..........................Good ......................................... 0.06
Silica (SiO2-3) .............................Good ...........................................0.4
Potassium (K) ..............................Good .......................................... 421
Calcium (Ca)................................Good .......................................... 444
Boron (B) ....................................Good ...........................................3.0
Molybdenum (Mo).........................Good ............................................0.1
Strontium (Sr) .............................Good ............................................8.8
Magnesium (Mg) ..........................Good ......................................... 1248
Iodine (I?)....................................Low.......................................... 0.01
Copper (Cu++) ............................Good ......................................... 0.01
Alkalinity (meq/L).........................Good .......................................... 3.74

i'll pick up some iodine tonight. if anyone has any experiences with low iodine please chime in.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
From what I understand about iodine (I have horn sharks which need consistent levels so I have done a lot of research on it) is that many marine inverts including corals rely on iodine as an essential element. So I would think this could be a problem although I do not have direct experience with low levels and corals to say for sure. Low levels of iodine will cause eye infections in horn sharks and death for many shrimp. Do you have shrimp or clams? If so, notice any problems with them?

Last edited:
Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
It doesn't seem directly related to your Acro issue, but I have a large red lobo that has been in my care for over a decade that one day a few months ago started to pale and lose heads for no apparent reason. The normal parameters seemed fine as did the other tank inhabitants. On a lark, kind of on instinct I added some ESV potassium iodide for about 3 days ina row and the colony showed almost immediate improvement--- the color began to return and the tissue recession stopped cold. The coral has been fine ever since and I rather imprecisely add the iodide a few times a week. You certainly won't harm anything by trying. Good luck.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have been dosing Brightwell Iodion since my last post. It appears my corals are healing. New tissue appears to be growing over the dead spots on my SPS. So far so good, i'll keep everyone posted.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: