marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
Well, I am talking for myself. I have tried Xenia on multiple of occassion, actually tried one recently from Alan and it just crocks on me. Dont ask me for my parameters cause I dont test them. I have SPS, LPS and some softies but for some reason the xenia does not thrieve in my tank. Some member told me to add iodine to my tank. I still have not tired it but do ya think this might work.
Thanks for the help.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
There should be sufficient iodine in your salt mix. Perhaps buy an Iodine Test kit and see what your numbers are? If you do chose to dose, you will need to have one anyway as you can OD a tank on iodine. :(

I currently have Xenia growing well in my tank, but at other times I couldn't keep it alive in there while other corals were thriving. At the same time I've seen some low nutrient tanks with it growing like crazy...might be an element that we are unaware of :confused:

charlie1225

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Mine also grew like crazy. This was when I didn't change my water for six months and only topped off. Xenias too over my whole tank from one colony to about 35 colonies in six months. FYI, I dosed four drops of iodine in my 90 gallon RR every other day.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I have xenia in a predatory tank and they grow like wild...I do not dose and my parameters in there are....well lets just say far from my sps tank...These tend to like nutrient rich water. At least from what i have observed over the last couple of years in various settings.

Last edited:

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Hey Mark,

Xenias are REALLY interesting. Superhardy only because you barely have to maintain them but the key is the position in the tank. For me I lost a xenia because way too much flow was blasting on him and it died gradually.

I repositioned my other Xenia and have indirect amount of flow going to it and it is middle level of the tank, and it's been growing again, I'll let you know if it multiplies and maybe I can frag you a piece in the near future hopefully.

They seem to like water with more nitrates than what many of us reefers feel comfortable with. I remember I had a Xenia in a Eclipse System 6 and the nitrate in the tank were 125 ppm and it GREW LIKE CRAZY. Obviously, we don't want that haha.

ocholoco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
hey

Hey mark I have a similiar problem. The problem that I have is that I buy pulsing xenias and they are pulsing like crazy when I buy them but then I put them in my tank they live but they dont pulse, I think it might be either a flow or a light issue you may have. Xenias are very hardy coral.

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So I have some interesting Xenia experience. Got some from Josh (thank you btw) and it grew like mad. Was great to watch and did great. Got some more and put two pieces in the corners of my tank. Did well for a bit then one day the corner pieces (at the same time) died. Tested water and all was perfect. Xenia in the front middle of the tank was doing well as was xenia in top middle on rock. No clue why those pieces died but I can only assume it had to do with its location in my tank. I had pieces on the glass in the corners and was hoping it would grow like mad there.

We see what the future holds for my xenia.
My take home lesson was besides obvious good parameters, positioning of the xenia!

It loves light in my opinion

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
Well I do have enough light. I run t-5's and MH's. I dont test my water parameters cause everythings is thrieving in my tank and lets just be honest a lot of members dont test their parameters. Probably the only thing I have under control is my calcium level, saltinity, and temp.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Well I do have enough light. I run t-5's and MH's. I dont test my water parameters cause everythings is thrieving in my tank and lets just be honest a lot of members dont test their parameters. Probably the only thing I have under control is my calcium level, saltinity, and temp.

How can you have the calcium, salinity, and temp under control if you don't test your parameters?
A lot of those people who don't test their parameters are usually the ones posting "why is this coral dying?"
:irked:

marki24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99.1%
116   1   0
How can you have the calcium, salinity, and temp under control if you don't test your parameters?
A lot of those people who don't test their parameters are usually the ones posting "why is this coral dying?"
:irked:

:irked: So why is all my sps thrieving and not the xenia?

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
You sure do have adequate lighting, i should of been more clear when i said they like lighting. I found it was the placement so that is amount of light along with flow and all that other fun stuff!
just my $0.02
Either way I hope you get it figured out and can grow some as I think they are great!
any pics?

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
:irked: So why is all my sps thrieving and not the xenia?

So because your sps are "thriving", you think your water parameters automatically perfect?
I noticed people all have a different definition of "thriving". Some people consider keeping SPS alive at status quo is thriving, while others consider a few inches growth. How many times bigger has your SPS grown since you got them? And what type of SPS? How many different types of SPS is in your tank?
Also, your xenia can be dying for a number of reasons besides water quality. You might be putting it in a spot where there may be less flow and/or light then the SPS as well. The SPS could be stripping the alk from the water and therefore the xenia dies. Eventually without proper testing and dosage, the SPS itself will starve itself and die.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: