Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi gals & guys, curious about this, so I'm putting the ? to you.;)

In the past 4 yrs. I have never had my ro/di slow down production (40 gallons in 24hr.) even when I allowed the prefilters to go over a year without changing them.

Currently my pre-filters are 10 months old, and a month ago the filtered water entering my Brute container had slowed down TERRIBLY. I allowed it to continue filtering just to see how long it would take it to fill my 40 gallon Brute. Well 7 days later, and it only made up to 30 gallons.

I've been told my water pressure was really low for that to happen so I ordered a booster pump. Should be here any time today. Darn FedEx:screama:

Now, I'm told it is the clogged prefilters.

How the heck did 10 month old prefilters that were barely used end up getting clogged, when 18 month old prefilters under constant use never clogged?

I don't understand this. Can you help me understand that one?;)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Do you back flush the membrane?

Yes, and when the issue started I back flushed it for 30 minutes. I know that was excessive.;)

OK, so my "Booster Pump" arrived along with a gauge.;) I installed the gauge in the line that comes out of the pump to my reservoir. The gauge is reading 46 PSI with the valve to the drum on off. Once I open the valve to fill the reservoir (which is nothing more then a 40 gallon brute) the PSI drops to 42.
The Booster Pump kicks on briefly, and immediately shuts off.

I called Air Water Ice, and left a message. It was after 6 PM. Guess they'll call me some time tomorrow.:(

Anyone have this problem with the their booster pump?

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you havent needed a booster pump in 4 years then you most likley dont need one. Do you know what your water pressure is? You have changed the prefilters what about the membrane? Do you flush the membrane? The membrane is good for about 2-3 years, depending on use. As acvernon said if they did work in your area the prefilter can get clogged in one day depending on how much debris went in the line.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
If you havent needed a booster pump in 4 years then you most likley dont need one. Do you know what your water pressure is? You have changed the prefilters what about the membrane? Do you flush the membrane? The membrane is good for about 2-3 years, depending on use. As acvernon said if they did work in your area the prefilter can get clogged in one day depending on how much debris went in the line.

Yeah, I figured it couldn't hurt.;) I did test it, and can't remember what it was. But I do have the gauge just past the pump before the ro/di. Without the ro/di going it reads 46 PSI, with the ro/di going it reads 42 PSI.
Yes, I replaced all the pre filters, DI & membrane last year November, 2010. Barely did any water changes, so therefor barely made any water.
Yes, I did get a flush valve kit within the last year, and started flushing.;)

Wouldn't I see dirty water coming from my faucets if that was the case?

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That pump can give 100 psi but dont go that high there is a needle valve to adjust make it around 65-75. If you still cant get more pressure something else is wrong. Mabey your gauge, a valve is partialy closed. You may want to go to the hardware stoe get a gauge you can put on a spigot and see what you have in the house.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
That pump can give 100 psi but dont go that high there is a needle valve to adjust make it around 65-75. If you still cant get more pressure something else is wrong. Mabey your gauge, a valve is partialy closed. You may want to go to the hardware stoe get a gauge you can put on a spigot and see what you have in the house.

I know, but I don't want to mess with the pump just yet. I just got it. I'm waiting to hear from AWI before I start messing with it.;)

I will see if Lowes has a gauge I can put on one of the spigot tomorrow.

BTW, all valves are fully opened.;)

Thanks for all your input, and advice NewfiDog I really do appreciate it!

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
3:29 PM still waiting on AWI to return my call.:( Message left explained that the "BRAND NEW" booster pump is not working. I've tried calling again today, but keep being sent to voice mail. Sent PM through MR yesterday evening as well..... Sent email @ 3:57PM. Getting really annoyed with AWI now...

What kind of customer service is this?

Went out purchased pressure gauge which we attached right above the meter. PSI in to the house is 48.

Last edited:

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Columbus day weekend. It's funny your bring this up. I am looking at buying that booster pump as well. I think it is an issue of adjustment on that needle valve. I have no idea how they work and will be researching more this weekend. Will follow this thread to see what happens :)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I just read the instuctions on there page. They give you an allen key to adjust the cut off switch, which by the picture is going to be the little black peice next to the pump. It does not go into any detail.

My point exactly! Their instructions suc_s lemons...... The instructions sheets they sent in the box were for how to change the filters on the ro/di. Just one problem with them: I DIDN'T ORDER ANY FILTERS, just the pump....

I worry that if I mess with the pump, even if only to make an adjustment, and there is actually something wrong with the pump they'll turn around, and tell me that I "voided their warranty".:tired:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Columbus day weekend. It's funny your bring this up. I am looking at buying that booster pump as well. I think it is an issue of adjustment on that needle valve. I have no idea how they work and will be researching more this weekend. Will follow this thread to see what happens :)

aznt, I only bought their pump because I have their ro/di unit. I would have much prefer to get it from another vendor that actually cares about their customers like: BRS or Saltwatercritters.............
All because I didn't want to end up with a pump that was not compatible to AWI's ro/di.........:supermad:

Far as I am concerned air water & ice needs to up their customer service....... up a notch or two.:supermad:

These are the only instructions I find on their website:

Typhoon Deionization
Installation Instructions for our Residential and Reefkeeper Units
Extreme Typhoon Installation Instructions

Reefkeeper Installation Guide
Dual Home Reef Installation Guide
Residential RO Installation Guide
Compact Reefkeeper
Mighty Mite

Instructions

Push-In Fittings- How to use

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to Change Filters

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Float Valve

Diagram of Float Valve

Nothing on the Booster Pump.:tired:

Well, looks like I am stuck till at the very least Tuesday: The following is from their site:

COMMUNICATIONS: We are open Monday to Friday from 9 AM to 4 PM Eastern Standard Time. **Starting May 6th we will be operating on our Summer Schedule. Hours of operation will be Monday through Thursday 9 AM - 4 PM, and Friday we will be open from 9 AM - 1 PM.** E-Mail is preferred for inquiries. We review e-mails several times each day. Our e-mail address is [email protected],. Please include your telephone number in your e-mail. Our telephone number is 772-461-0256. Feel free to leave a message if we are unable to answer.

Last edited:

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. It appears this has happened to a few others (searching other forums; was hoping someone documented their installation process -- no joy), lack of support and poor documentation on this particular product. I have the Aquatec 8800, and it was plug 'n play.

NewfiDog

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a search and there are lots of complaints about the pump and the customer service. But what i read is you adjust the pressure with the bypass valve in the middle. You open or close till you get the pressure you want, not sure i have plenty pressure in my house so i dont have one. Someone here has to have one. Try the bypass valve.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Hi Widdy, this one was plug, but not so much Play.:( I have no idea what could be the problem. Might be something as simple as turning a knob for all I know.LOL

Won't know till at least Tuesday now.

I should not have order this from them, since it took Cliff a little over a month to respond to my PM.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: