jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
LOL lighting is a touchy subject. I have an extreme deep hatred for LED. I can't really figure out why I care, but something about them makes my blood boil.

Actually here is the "something"

I hate those sparkly glitter lines
I hate the overall dim look of all led tanks
I hate the disco ball effect some fixtures give
I also hate all the how the market place on several reef boards are flooded with different led fixtures.
I hate all the tank threads going on for a year or 2 without colonies grown in yet.
I hate all the newbie threads that can't color or grow SPS under LED (this could be many issues though).
I hate the crazy prices on these fixtures because that put me out of the market to play around with these fixtures more over my display.
I also hate how the companies overrate the spread of the lights.
I hate how the spectrum is left in the hand of the user, who pretty much has no idea what to use. Some guys like to tinker though.

There's probably 20 more things I hate about them but this is off the top of my head. I also hate that Duke is having success under them lol :) But I'm happy for Duke ;)

Last edited:

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Love you Rich lmao. I'm not 100% successful. I have issues with coloring up some hard wild pieces but the tank is still young after my crash and 5 months of new frags in any tank can be challenging no matter what light you use. Out of probably 70 acros I have trouble with about 6 or 7 pieces but I'm patient and hopefully by the summer these pieces will show improvements :)

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
LOL lighting is a touchy subject. I have an extreme deep hatred for LED. I can't really figure out why I care, but something about them makes my blood boil.

Actually here is the "something"

I hate those sparkly glitter lines
I hate the overall dim look of all led tanks
I hate the disco ball effect some fixtures give
I also hate all the how the market place on several reef boards are flooded with different led fixtures.
I hate all the tank threads going on for a year or 2 without colonies grown in yet.
I hate all the newbie threads that can't color or grow SPS under LED (this could be many issues though).
I hate the crazy prices on these fixtures because that put me out of the market to play around with these fixtures more over my display.
I also hate how the companies overrate the spread of the lights.
I hate how the spectrum is left in the hand of the user, who pretty much has no idea what to use. Some guys like to tinker though.

There's probably 20 more things I hate about them but this is off the top of my head. I also hate that Duke is having success under them lol :) But I'm happy for Duke ;)

It's simple. I completely understand and agree with a lot of your points, especially the ones about spectrum and spread. Some things in life just irk us... It's like how I feel about Ford cars/trucks. I just hate them.

Something about the idea of an ATI 6 bulb SunPower fixture over my tank makes me feel warm inside lately.

tommys

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I just took radions off my tank and put a ATI T5 powermodule on my tank like 2.5 weeks ago best decision I ever made looks better already. Everything in tank likes it also .I spent a month trying to decide if I should go this way and glad I did.
I have 1 radion G3 left to sell 500.00

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I just took radions off my tank and put a ATI T5 powermodule on my tank like 2.5 weeks ago best decision I ever made looks better already. Everything in tank likes it also .I spent a month trying to decide if I should go this way and glad I did.
I have 1 radion G3 left to sell 500.00

Well that's pretty interesting to hear. Which fixture exactly did you get and which bulb configuration are you using?

tommys

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I got the 60" ATI 8 bulb hybrid powermodule which has led's also. I have the sunrise and sunset set up with led's and T5'are on for 5 hours mid day. This is were I started led intensity low right now giving some time for everthing to acclimate. I have 3 blue+ 3 Coral+ 1 purple+ 1 atinic all ati bulbs. I am going to switch out 1 of the coral plus for either a aqua blue or blue plus.

evoIX_Reefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
What happened to that T5 vs LED vs MH thread? Who ended up winning? I believe I was finishing up college at that time so I sold my tank and quit for awhile.

This should happen every so often with the best options out there. Interesting to watch results and see reactions because of it.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I have 2 radions and 2 250 w mh over my 220 pretty decent color growth seems painfully slow but there growing and I'm not set up for 400 w mh so it is what it Is ! I'm leaning more and more towards getting 2 more gen 3 radion pros because between the 2 I think the radions look great they go through a beautiful cycle and I think I'm pulling better color on most the sps under the radions
Also tempting seeing the price drop as many ditch them for other lights !

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: