fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I have a Deep Blue 80gal shallow mixed reef at the moment. It's lit by 2 Ecotech Radion Pros, running around 55%. I absolutely LOVE the programming and customization offered by EcoSmartLive. The colors are good and the sunrise/sunset/ramping is great, so much more natural that the old MH bulb in my NanoCube that used to go from 0% off to 100% on. My SPS are growing and my LPS are pretty darn happy too, but there's just something about these T5 tanks that I can't stop drooling over. I have had these lights on my tank since November and I think that the corals should be totally acclimated by now. I'm just not getting the coloration in my SPS that I know is possible. For those who wonder, my PO4 tests between 0.00-0.04 w Hanna Checker and my Nitrates show a basically 0 with 2 separate Red Sea Test kits, which is prob not helping my coloration issues as I'm sure a little more Nitrates would help out with the colors, but that may be a topic for another post (or maybe not).

If I were to change the lights to T5, I would ideally go with an ATI SunPower 48" 6 bulb, with possibly a Reefbrite LED strip, that I see all these guys using. I know I've seen the programmable SunPower light and am not familiar with all the features, but if anyone has any personal experience with the SunPower fixtures or would like to offer up any advise, I'd love to hear what you think.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 622

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
your tank looks good to me.
i think our own tanks never look good to ourselves.

Thanks so much for the compliment!! Your point is totally valid and sometimes we're just never satisfied. Another part of me thinks maybe I should just spend 6 months doing nothing but doing water changes, dosing and looking at it, before I make a major change.

edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Thanks so much for the compliment!! Your point is totally valid and sometimes we're just never satisfied. Another part of me thinks maybe I should just spend 6 months doing nothing but doing water changes, dosing and looking at it, before I make a major change.

yea your so right, i know I'm never satisfied. sounds like a plan.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Here is some of the problem. If your looking at corals on the web most likely your looking at over saturated pictures that make your corals look bad. I've seen pics of people's tanks who run MH or t5s on the web then go to their house and you don't see the same colors as their pics. Before you go and switch lighting why not bump your po4 up a bit and your no3. Po4 at around .05 to .08 and no3 to 5 to 10 and see where your colors are and check your potassium once a week and dose accordingly.

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
One thing I am ashamed to admit is that I don't own a potassium test kit yet, as I've been meaning to buy one recently. I only have 5 fish in my 80gal and most are 2" or less besides my juvenile yellow tang. I run Phosban and carbon in my BRS dual reactor, skim24hrs (although it idles for prob 1/2 the time it's running) and have a fuge, lit by a Kessil H150 purple spectrum the produces a decent amount of chaeto. I feed about a cube of mixed frozen a day. I'm always so afraid of a phosphate or nitrate spike, that I don't really know the best way to get my levels up a safe amount, while not letting them get too high.

I was considering getting a few more fish (prob anthias) and cutting the phosban down to maybe 1/3 the recommended amount. Idk... Maybe I'm getting too neurotic and i should explore other options first.

There's just something about this look that I love.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 620

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
I run rowa at about half to maybe 3/4 recommended. I use aminos and when my po4 starts rising I cut the aminos till I change my rowa which is about a week if not dosing amino. I like checking my pi4 and no 3 once a week. Hard to get a spike if your checking that one time a week. I am a big testing person. I check my alk once a day. It don't bother me at all I like to do it.

offdahooklikeoj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
287   0   0
Your tank looks great thus far. I have the same tank just all sps. I run 3 AI hydras and added a 2 bulb T5 retro fit kit about 2 months ago (ati coral plus). The t5's did make a positive difference in coloration. Im currently not doing water changes in attempt to get the nutrients to rise a bit. my parameters are stable via automated dosing. I also am gradually taking the rowaphos offline, and will be using it when necessary. I wouldnt over think it, and just make any changes gradually. Good luck

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I run rowa at about half to maybe 3/4 recommended. I use aminos and when my po4 starts rising I cut the aminos till I change my rowa which is about a week if not dosing amino. I like checking my pi4 and no 3 once a week. Hard to get a spike if your checking that one time a week. I am a big testing person. I check my alk once a day. It don't bother me at all I like to do it.

I am a BIG fan of testing my water! I test my Alk every other day, even though I dose Ca, Alk and Mag. I also do small, 5gal weekly water changes with RSCP salt, as the mixed levels are closest to my maintained levels. I still have slightly browned Acros that have great PE, even with PO4 @ 0.00. I really do enjoy testing my water.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I agree with the guys to feed more/get more fish. You can get better results with that lighting, but I don't like all LED for lighting in general. LED spread is terrible, too many shadows. I won't run MH alone for the same reason. I am a huge T5 fan. IME they grow corals faster than any other lighting, and give the best coverage. The problem with T5 is that you really need to balance your nutrient level or you will have a tank full of pastel colors, but some guys like that.

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
You know a lot of people on here including myself will hate on you for this right!?!

Your tank is beautiful. Get some more fish and or feed a little cyclopeeze.

Thanks. I'll try and get my nutrient level up a little. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my LEDs and I think Ecotech is a phenomenal company. I guess I'm just on a kick to spend money or change something. I'll ride it out, don't worry ;)

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
For some reference the past week my corals have looked a little faded and pastel looking especially a purple stylo and just checked my no3 using salifert and I'm at 0. Now I'll stop my 1ml dose of vodka and get that number back up and my colors should be richer in color. Also my K keeps dropping that can play a roll in it as well but I know it's not my lighting because my colors are usually great. Once the no3 is back to 5 to
10 I'll be happy again :)

fredro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
For some reference the past week my corals have looked a little faded and pastel looking especially a purple stylo and just checked my no3 using salifert and I'm at 0. Now I'll stop my 1ml dose of vodka and get that number back up and my colors should be richer in color. Also my K keeps dropping that can play a roll in it as well but I know it's not my lighting because my colors are usually great. Once the no3 is back to 5 to
10 I'll be happy again :)

I haven't been able to find a K test let around besides the red sea one on eBay and I've heard they suck. I can't seem to find the salifert one around. I'm

dj ze

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
i ran led for around 7 years two and a half months ago i changed to an 8 bulb ati sunpower and man what a change almost all my corals especially lps morphed unto colors i had never seen before every day that i look at my tank seems like it just gets more & more colorful with the t5's

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: