KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
While there are not a lot of 'recalls' of dangerous products in our hobby, on occasion there are and we have decided that it would be best if we added a new 'sticky' to the General Discussion Forum for these recalls.
(Thanks to House of Laughter for this great suggestion!)

What is a 'sticky'? ...as some may not be familiar with the term..on the top of many forums here are Threads that contain important information related to the forum they are attached to. For Example..in the Fish Forum there are Stickys about certain fish diseases and specific types of fish. On the 'Reefs for Beginners' forum there is a lot of information that first time reefers should be familiar with!

To access our 'Stickys' you need to use the drop down menu on the 'Forums' menu on the Blue info bar under the scrolling banner ads.

The Sticky that is being added today is not new news, but is information that some folks are not familiar with (someone was trying to sell this item here today and we deleted that thread due to the danger of the product)

THESE ARE THE RECALLS YOU WILL FIND ON THIS THREAD AND THE POST # YOU WILL FIND THEM IN:

MARINELAND STEALTH HEATER RECALL (POST #1)
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11202.html

KENT CARBON RECALL (POST # 12)
http://reefbuilders.com/2012/02/23/kent-marine-reef-carbon-recall/

Vortech Battery Backup Cable Recall (POST #19)
http://ecotechmarine.com/recall/

Thanks and Happy & Safe Reefing!

Last edited by a moderator:

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
This is a helpful thread for many new hobbyists so that they can be aware of some of the products that they are purchasing.
However I feel pertinent product recall information like this should be broadcast through PMs or Emails with links to members when new recall info is provided.
Well at least links to the updated post info.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
This is a helpful thread for many new hobbyists so that they can be aware of some of the products that they are purchasing.
However I feel pertinent product recall information like this should be broadcast through PMs or Emails with links to members when new recall info is provided.
Well at least links to the updated post info.

That is an excellent suggestion.. I knew you had a heart... contrary to popular belief ;)

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
This Sticky is a great idea!
I actually have a Stealth Pro in my system and didn't know about the recall until I just saw it here :Yikes:

Fortunately it is plugged into my Apex as my backup heater set to come on at a lower temp if my main heater fails. So it hasn't had power to it in a long time.

Custom05Taco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
This Sticky is a great idea!
I actually have a Stealth Pro in my system and didn't know about the recall until I just saw it here :Yikes:

Fortunately it is plugged into my Apex as my backup heater set to come on at a lower temp if my main heater fails. So it hasn't had power to it in a long time.

You should be able to contact them for a new heater or your money back

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact United Pet Group at (800) 338-4896 between 7:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m. ET Monday through Friday, or visit the firm's website at www.marineland.com

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

h2o

Wanna be clown fish pimp
Rating - 100%
98   0   0

I'm never buying anything made by KENT ever again I ran out of esv carbon local stores didn't have it so I went with Kent a week later I noticed Orange stains rust like on my reactor shortly after half my sps bleached including red table 12"x8 that I grew from 1" then did a huge water change and things started to come back I still have the Kent container that's half way full because I had a feeling this was the problem .

What do I do I lost like $2000 g because of them . At this point I doubt I get my money back but as long as I'm around I'm gonna make sure no one buys a thing from them til they go out of biz.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I'm never buying anything made by KENT ever again I ran out of esv carbon local stores didn't have it so I went with Kent a week later I noticed Orange stains rust like on my reactor shortly after half my sps bleached including red table 12"x8 that I grew from 1" then did a huge water change and things started to come back I still have the Kent container that's half way full because I had a feeling this was the problem .

What do I do I lost like $2000 g because of them . At this point I doubt I get my money back but as long as I'm around I'm gonna make sure no one buys a thing from them til they go out of biz.

I would contact them, they may reimburse you for your lost, especially if they has a problem with their product and they had to recall it. It mayn't be for the full amount, as they may cap it, but you may get something.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Another reminder folks. We just had another member lose most of his tank due to one of the Stealth heaters :(

People have said to me," I've had mine for years, it works fine".

No, it doesn't.

Please get these out of your tank if you still have one!

SIReefer

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
Thanks Kathy. I have 2 heaters in my 120 sump - 1 being a 250 watt stealth pro. The heater was not operational even though the light was on. My temps were ok as the other 300 watt heater compensated. Im glad it just shut down & didnt go the other way & cook the tank. I called Marineland & they are sending me a $28 check upon receipt of the defective heater. I dont know how I missed this thread. Thanks again!!!!!!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: