FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Got a huge ball of cheato over the weekend and put in my refuge. I immediately notice there were flatworms and i removed hob fuge. So with fuge diconeccted from main tank none crawled into my main display, unless eggs can flow into tank???

What should i do with cheato? And fuge? Should i throw it all away and wash fuge? Should i treat fuge and keep cheato?

Its HUGE ball of cheato loaded with pods worms stars snails etc.

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
Positive its flatworm. Going to dump today. These larvae, could they have made it to the display tank? Are they free flowing? Or eggs flatworms attach to glass/substrate?

When i dump the cheato..... How the i clean fuge to make sure i kill and remove all flatworms and eggs that may be in fuge?

Vibegar? Chlorine? Tap?

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Toss the Cheato and id buy that Flatwork remover stuff and treat in JUST the fuge.

It could have gotten to your main tank, but who knows unless you start seeing them.

If you are comfortable treating the entire tank, I would do that. Better safe than sorry.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Positive its flatworm. Going to dump today. These larvae, could they have made it to the display tank? Are they free flowing? Or eggs flatworms attach to glass/substrate?

When i dump the cheato..... How the i clean fuge to make sure i kill and remove all flatworms and eggs that may be in fuge?

Vibegar? Chlorine? Tap?
Flatworm stuff from salifert, not cheap though

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Just clean out the hang on Reg with hot water, that should kill whatever is in it.

As for the flat worms, what type are that? Some types aren't that bad, and if it's those types that you have, I wouldn't worry about treating the whole tank. As posted already, a number of fish will eat them.

FlyTekk

KISS KeepItSimpleStupid
Rating - 98.6%
139   2   0
They are the Red Planaria.

The guy who gave me cheato knew he had them but said they never harmed anything. Maybe he has a fish that eats them, or a pump between fuge and sump.

Either way guardo if you want the cheato ill bring into work. I work in midtown. PM me. Its huge and fuuuull of life. Maybe a lil too much life.

Which brings me to my next question. My Refuge rubble is now loaded with worms. The good bristle worms. Is it safe to remove them and throw them in display tank before i nuke the the refugium? Im worried that a flat worm or egg could somehow be attached to bristle worm.

dnreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If you really want to keep the cheato, toss the cheato into a bucket and treat with flatworm exit. If you're concerned that you might have gotten some planaria into the display tank then treat the system profilactically. The only time that treating flatworms becomes a problem is when you're tank is heavily infested. It is the toxins they release upon dying that can foul your tank. I you only have a few and nip them in the bud early you should have no problem. Just be ready to do at least a 25% water change after treatment. Salifert's Flatworm Exit does a great job.

btw, I treat all corals, rocks and algaes with Flatworm exit befor they go into my display tank. It is hard to see only 1 or 2 flatworms and once they start to reproduce in the tank they can take off like weeds.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: