Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I didn't...

... then I got a rip roaring bacterial bloom in my main tank and lost 2 clownfish in a particularly ugly fashion.

Now everything gets QT-ed in a small 10g tank. Both the QT and the DT run UV sterilizers too. All corals get dipped in CoralRX or Revive.

When and if I get new clownfish, because of their tendency to carry parasites, they are getting the extra step methylene blue dips before QT and then being QT-ed extra long...probably more than a month. I'm not watching them die again.

Course I only have a 50g and won't be putting in any fish like a tang that would require a bigger QT tank. If in the distant future I am fortunate enough to own a big display (WTB 250g), I'll have to figure out a bigger QT tank. That'll probably be when I get out of NYC and into a house too.

Long story short - I'm a believer in QT/

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
I don't qt. don't have the room. When I do have the room will like ro have a dedicated fishroom. So far never had an total tank wipe out like some. But I did have many unexplained losses of new additions that could have probably been saved if I observed them in qt

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I QT all my fish, and have a 50-60gal tank that I use.

For the people that say they don't have the room, well you don't need a very large setup, unless the fish is very large. A 5-20gal Rubbermaid container will work very well, and when you're not using it, you can use it to store things. Basically just set it up when you plan on a buying a fish, and then do a water change from your main tank and use that water in the QT.

sunny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Yes, I do now. I have a 125G QT setup with a SWC 160 cone skimmer.
I also have a 30G QT setup for smaller fish and diversity of treatment. I use them both depending on which fish like copper and which does not...

Sunny

irvp13

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I dont, no space. But following Marrone's advice, what type of filter you put on a plastic bin?

I QT all my fish, and have a 50-60gal tank that I use.

For the people that say they don't have the room, well you don't need a very large setup, unless the fish is very large. A 5-20gal Rubbermaid container will work very well, and when you're not using it, you can use it to store things. Basically just set it up when you plan on a buying a fish, and then do a water change from your main tank and use that water in the QT.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Basically you're just looking for just for water movement, so you could use an air pump, power head or one of those Mini-Jet pump. They also make smaller power heard type filters that you can place carbon and a pad inside of it. You could also just a sponge filter, which you would place in your main tank or sump where it would pick up some bacteria. You would also do large weekly water changes, using the water from your main tank when you do water changes.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I didn't for my first fish(pair of occ clowns) but then I learned so yes.

Also, I'm with Marrone. You don't need a big tank to QT unless you're buying fish full grown. pretty much any juvie can live in a 5-15 gal tank with a heater, PH, HOB filter & standard canopy for a month or 2. you don't even REALLY need the PH. I don't recommend the plastic bins as it's harder to observe the fish imo. but whatever works for you.

jgraz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
No QT here. Never had a problem with any fish yet. But, I will be QTing all coral from here out. Somehow monti eating nudis got into my system. I apparently caught it esrly and only lost s couple of pieces, it could have been much worse.

Arati

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
56   0   0
id like to know from the people who don't qt how often do you get flatys redbugs, nudi's ich ect? or do people just dip corals and then put them in? (what about eggs?)

I cant believe people just drop corals into their reefs?

im careful as hell and in the past 5 years i have had ich,brook,velvet, nudi's also bubble algae aptasia and one time an evil snail... something that kills anemones and something that killed fish in 2days that i have never seen anything like...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: