mqur1963

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
2 years ago i never di and out of 5 fish always lost 2 now i been qurantine them for almost 6 to 7 month no lost of live and bought most expensive fish and qt is 40 gal breader

arieln92

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 90.3%
28   3   0
Hell yea i do. When i first started, i got a horrible ich outbreak in my 75G. I had to take out all fish (easier said than done) from the DT. I set up a 30 breeder with a UV, and a HOB filter with a powerhead for circulation. Put them on hyposalinity for a week or two. Left them in there for about amonth with temp at 90F. No outbreak since

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no........ pretty good info. i had two fish die of marine ich within a week of purchase. a copperband butterfly (that was eating) and a powder blue tang. also my tank is about a month old.. does that have anything to do with that? blue mandrin goby, two oscillaris clowns(is that how u spell it...lol). doing fine.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
no........ pretty good info. i had two fish die of marine ich within a week of purchase. a copperband butterfly (that was eating) and a powder blue tang. also my tank is about a month old.. does that have anything to do with that? blue mandrin goby, two oscillaris clowns(is that how u spell it...lol). doing fine.

please research before buying fish.Your new and get a small pass for now :(

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have very challenging fish for a month old system. Fish that should only be attempted by experienced aquarists in mature tanks.
Tread carefully.

thanx..i figured i jumped to fast.... but i thought i was ok..water chem good...cycled.. guess it didnt matter. how long till i can get fish like that? and what makes old water old? and how do u no its old water?:wink1:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
thanx..i figured i jumped to fast.... but i thought i was ok..water chem good...cycled.. guess it didnt matter. how long till i can get fish like that? and what makes old water old? and how do u no its old water?:wink1:

I think you are a better judge of that. Research every single purchase thoroughly and only buy when you are comfortable.
A mature tank is not old water. It's after all the follow up cycles have completed and the bio load in the rocks has permeated through the substrate. It's different for all tanks.

KatLongo

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I used to QT in a 10 gallon tank. However, now my fish are so large that I only put largish fish in the tank. I've found that the stress of a large fish in a 10 gallon aint' worth it! So far, cross fingers and toes, I've been lucky. Not so lucky with the corals I took from a fellow reefer quite a while back -- flat worms that I manage to keep under control, but rear their ugly heads every once in a while.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I have had past experience with pests and all I can say is that for the 450 I am setting up I am going through very strict quarantine. May be a little over the top but theres nothing to lose. Fish will be quarantined in copper for 2-4 weeks. Haven't decided on that yet but ALL coral will and inverts will be in quarentine for 3 months to have any trace of ich die off from even the drops of water that got into the tank while transporting. I have had this experience before where only fish were quarentined but when putting in a coral in the tank somehow days later I got ich for the first time in the tank. So I now and being very cautious. All coral will be dipped too. I will be doing this in intervals to prevent the introduction of new parasite/pests during the quarentine process. When I get this set up anyone that needs quarantining can stop by and drop off whatever they want as long as it is in the interval period I will set up. Great to help people out and basically no extra work for me. The tanks won't be filled up with my stuff anyway.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I have had past experience with pests and all I can say is that for the 450 I am setting up I am going through very strict quarantine. May be a little over the top but theres nothing to lose. Fish will be quarantined in copper for 2-4 weeks. Haven't decided on that yet but ALL coral will and inverts will be in quarentine for 3 months to have any trace of ich die off from even the drops of water that got into the tank while transporting. I have had this experience before where only fish were quarentined but when putting in a coral in the tank somehow days later I got ich for the first time in the tank. So I now and being very cautious. All coral will be dipped too. I will be doing this in intervals to prevent the introduction of new parasite/pests during the quarentine process. When I get this set up anyone that needs quarantining can stop by and drop off whatever they want as long as it is in the interval period I will set up. Great to help people out and basically no extra work for me. The tanks won't be filled up with my stuff anyway.
Sounds good man. I hope you know what you're doing in regards to the copper treatment. Copper if not used correctly can do more harm than good.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: