d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
hmmmm...I guess I'll drop a line or two....it might help someone.

I never ever ever QT a fish in 8 years and only got ich once which cleaner wrasses and shrimp took care of because I killed a yellow tang with copper and swore to never again use medicine.

Here is the catch, all of the fish I purchased prior to 2010I purchased from Live Aquaria. All I ever did for those fish was a freshwater 10 minute dip, back in the rubbermaid and a few hours later in the tank, never a problem.

Now, I have to admit I f*&^d UP!
I decided to buy fish locally and support different stores locally and purchased fish, and I did the 48 hour hold ritual and I did the freshwater dips.

I have a case of fin and tail rot that set in after watching one newly added fish develop red spider web spots, bacterial infection. I have been able to narrow down to 1 store I visited. It's not my water quality I checked it, nitrates are a little higher than I would like them to be but who really has nearly zero nitrates and my shrimp, snails, corals and assorted starfish are all doing fine.

These fish looked fine at the store, looked fine in my house but within days showed signs, while stores may treat for parasites, most don't care for over crowding and or bacterial outbreaks.

Lesson learned, don't know where I will fit a QT tank but I will try to set one up for 2 weeks at least going forward and picked up medicine today and will net out the newly sick fish and treat them and hope this bacterial crap does not affect the rest.

None of the affected fish had red spider web type of skin legions when I inspected them nor did the first addition, it had to be brewing and manifested days later....now I have 1 dead blond naso and 4 other less expensive fish showing the same symptoms the naso showed them, stopped eating and died off.

Now I can only wait to see which other fish becomes ill and try to save it and will most likely never ever again buy fish locally, Live Aquaria never failed me, not sure why I deviated.

I am sure that many will say, your fault, you should have QT. I should have, most of us don't and I never had a need to do so. Ick had been my only problem previously but I learned that if you notice it early a freshwater dip and a few cleaners take care of the issue.

If I set up a QT tank I may be inclined to buy locally again but I am still significantly discouraged. If I QT a Live Aquaria fish and it dies 10 days later because its disease did not manifest right away, Live Aquaria stands behind their guarantee. If I buy a fish locally QT it and it dies 10 days later I am stuck holding the bag.

QT is great for preventing an outbreak that I agree with and I am hoping the rest of tank is healthly enough to combat what ever bacteria I introduced with the newly added fish.

I will be monitoring them very closely because as most of you know, survival instinct has fish acting normal to not become a prey and once we do notice it's sick its basically too late.

So QT yes, space and inpatience and guilt for having a fish stuck in a 10 gallon tank or container for 2 weeks simply suck and I will have to begin the whole QT thing.

Also picked up a 27 gallon rubbermaid container at HD to try this QT thing.

Oh, and if anyone has had a similar bacteria and can share treatments or what to expect and you want to share, send me a PM or post here. I know it's bacterial, I now its negative and I know it leads to fungus aka fin and tail rot and no this did not occur from bully stress, naso and chromis were the most active in the tank, always out in the open and the naso went south within 24 hours, ate at night, woke up swimming in the center of the tank, hovering like trying to prove he was ok but did not eat, I took him out and put him in the sump while I rushed to create a QT out of stuff in my house and ran for medicine which I did not find and when I came back he was so weak that the sump pump filter had a hold of him, still alive but barely and he finally died off.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Ick had been my only problem previously but I learned that if you notice it early a freshwater dip and a few cleaners take care of the issue.

The problem with what you posted is that neither fresh water dips or cleaners will take ich. Fresh water dips, or even baths, would cause the ich to die or even release from the fish. Cleaners don't usually even eat the ich, and can't get at the ones that are living inside the fish.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I am sure you are correct, it would be my wildest guess how my hippo and other fish stopped scratching on rocks and why they became regulars at cleaning stations....

That was all I did, freshwater dips and cleaners....yellow tang started scratching, I panicked, went to lfs purchased a 10 gallon tank and copper. I added copper drops per instructions, put the fish, eventually went to bed and fish was dead at morning. I cursed the copper, I yanked my hair and swore to never use copper again.

Days later other fish were rubbing rocks and I did what I did and it stopped, I guess it was magic or it was dandruff...

The problem with what you posted is that neither fresh water dips or cleaners will take ich. Fresh water dips, or even baths, would cause the ich to die or even release from the fish. Cleaners don't usually even eat the ich, and can't get at the ones that are living inside the fish.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good info. I guess from what ur saying live aquaria is great. I bought fish locally through a friend (copperband butterfly, and powder blue tang) they both developed ich and died. I was also told by some of u on MR, that those fish are advanced and besides that my tank was not mature enough. With that ill wait for those fish. In the meanwhile I noticed that the clowns now have ich ( original fish in tank) I have ordered some reef safe meds from live aquaria. Hopefully I can treat the tank.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I am sure you are correct, it would be my wildest guess how my hippo and other fish stopped scratching on rocks and why they became regulars at cleaning stations....

That was all I did, freshwater dips and cleaners....yellow tang started scratching, I panicked, went to lfs purchased a 10 gallon tank and copper. I added copper drops per instructions, put the fish, eventually went to bed and fish was dead at morning. I cursed the copper, I yanked my hair and swore to never use copper again.

Days later other fish were rubbing rocks and I did what I did and it stopped, I guess it was magic or it was dandruff...

it's very possible that it wasn't ich to begin with. As for Copper, you need to use a test kit when treating with it. Too little, and it doesn't work, too much, and it can wipe out all you fish.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Live Aquaria fish from the Diver Den are heavily treated before they're made available for sale, the regular fish that sell aren't, as they come out of LA. In he end you still need to QT fish from them, regardless if they're from the Diver Den or from their LA distribution center.

Here is some good info on parasite:
http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/pests/

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Freshwater dips, you take fresh ro water or treated tap water, bring the temp up to match that of the water in which you are holding the fish. You put the fish in and you don't multi task because you will forget about the fish.

10 minutes later you put him back in the saltwater, if you fish have parasites and its so obvious the freshwater dip provides relief to the fish.

a product called quick cure should help your fish out.

Oh I forgot to ask. Did u mention a freshwater dip for 10min? That doesn't kill tje fish? Someone please explain this whole freshwater dip thing to me please. Thanx.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Before you dip or give a bath to any fish you not only need to bring the water temp up but you need to bring the Ph up to the same level that that fish was at. This is very important. Also, you need to watch the fish to see how it's doing, if it's nothing do well you need to remove the fish and place it back into the tank.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I had the copper test, bunch of powders and tiny little spoons if I recall.

I hate the stuff, should be simpler to use.

It was ich, velvet takes a different form once it sets in and I am like everyone else, I stare at the fish swimming around in a daze and you cannot mistake a fish scratching on rocks over and over and over, it's impossible to ignore it. Once it has to much ich poor fish just throws in the towel and remains motionless.

I have never been to live aquaria so I dont know if how they are setup. I will most likely always be a customer of live aquaria. With their 2 week guarantee they have plenty of incentive to send me the healthiest fish they have and they dont mess around with your credit, I had credits put back on my credit card without a problem. I bought from other places that also have guarantees and they create a freaking nightmare over it. One place had me wrap a damn fish in salt and mail it, a well known place and it was a cheap fish not the expensive one on the list. Live Aquaria rocks period.

Lastly, I took the sick fish out and I should have taken a picture because I did not arrange everything back the way it was. Tomorrow I guess i shall see what aquascape mess I created. It did not take long but it did get messy. removed all the corals and rock because I was not going to chase 6 lighting fast chromis all over the place.

it's very possible that it wasn't ich to begin with. As for Copper, you need to use a test kit when treating with it. Too little, and it doesn't work, too much, and it can wipe out all you fish.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
I have never been to live aquaria so I dont know if how they are setup. I will most likely always be a customer of live aquaria. With their 2 week guarantee they have plenty of incentive to send me the healthiest fish they have
most people can NOT go to Live Aquaria...those fish are shipped direct from a Calif. wholesaler/importer! (only 'dealers' can go into the wholesale facility)

They are not treated or QT'd...they are the exact same 'quality' fish that any LFS can have shipped to them!

That being said, Live Aquaria is a great vendor that guarantees it's livestock...but don't expect every fish/purchase to be 'perfect'!

I have purchased many fish online, and from the MR vendors, all without problems...but still prefer to be able to see the fish, before paying for it!

motortrendz

Mainland Aquatics
Vendor
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
i do not QT my fish for my personal tank... with thatr said i do QT all my coral until they have gone thru a cycle of dips to ensure they are healthy and pest free.. alot of maricultured coral winds up coming in with AEFW and need to be taken care of before they can go into a stable system.. i qt all my coral for abt 2 weeks the get dipped in revive or coral rx right out of the bag, then the next day they get it agsain with the use of a turkey baster to blow of any hard to reach areas, then they will sit for a few days to 2 weeks(depending on what i see when i dip) and get it once more before going into the grow out tank, where they will then be fragged and left to heal and regrow..

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I was not alluding to being able to go to the Live Aquaria facilities, I mentioned it in response a post and to not being able to speak as to their practices.

Even if Live Aquaria does not do anything special or out of the ordinary I am still inclined to say they rock, I spent a couple of thousand over the years with them and never ever ever a problem.

most people can NOT go to Live Aquaria...those fish are shipped direct from a Calif. wholesaler/importer! (only 'dealers' can go into the wholesale facility)

They are not treated or QT'd...they are the exact same 'quality' fish that any LFS can have shipped to them!

That being said, Live Aquaria is a great vendor that guarantees it's livestock...but don't expect every fish/purchase to be 'perfect'!

I have purchased many fish online, and from the MR vendors, all without problems...but still prefer to be able to see the fish, before paying for it!

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
I never ever add PH buffer or should I say added PH buffer to the freshwater dips. However, this time around I am correcting some of my practices so I purchased Marine buffer last week with my carbon order from DrFS.

From now on I intend on adding a touch of buffer to decrease stress but I have not lost a fish yet due to the dips.

Before you dip or give a bath to any fish you not only need to bring the water temp up but you need to bring the Ph up to the same level that that fish was at. This is very important. Also, you need to watch the fish to see how it's doing, if it's nothing do well you need to remove the fish and place it back into the tank.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
Since this thread is about helping people with information I will summarize the following to provide useable advice:

QT for a week or 2, it will provide good stress relief and allow u to inspect it over several days. QT does not mean your fish wont die or have something manifest after you bring it home, it means you wont spread it.

Have the following 3 products in hand: Quick cure, ph buffer, marine antibiotic, 10 gallon container, small heater, small powerhead....it will save you a headache when you try to save a fish. Realize that common parasites are very treatable, bacterial stuff is like cancer and by the time you see the symptoms it usually is too late, its not me saying it, I read it in countless articles over the past week as I researched what the hell was happening in my clean tank.

Most importantly, if you chose to buy from a local store with no guarantee I suggest you visit the place several times before becoming a customer. Inspect their tanks, notice if there is any sick fish in a any given tank and remember some of the better staffed places have a tight routine of inspecting their tanks a couple of times a day and removing questionable fish before the customers see them so it does not mean their system is disease free, it does mean they do a much better job at fighting it but it does not mean they are perfect.

Lastly, don't go insane when a fish dies, I use to go banana's, felt responsible, blamed myself (still working on it), the blond Naso was adorable. It's a hobby not a family member, if you keep your water clean, feed them and meet their other needs, there is not much else you can do, well, QT to save your other fish from death.

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
[PDF OVERLAY][/PDF OVERLAY]Have the following 3 products in hand: Quick cure, ph buffer, marine antibiotic, 10 gallon container, small heater, small powerhead[PDF OVERLAY][/PDF OVERLAY]

You mean the following 6 products ... And how will you know if the ph is spot on? So you need a ph test kit. Sound like most of what you are saying is quoted from books. Do you quaratine your fish?

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
sorry, at work multi tasking, kept adding stuff and did not update the number.

marine buffer when used properly stabalizes your PH to 8.2 or 8.3 and it does not go beyond that, hence buffer, you dont need a PH test kit, follow the instructions and that is it.

Dont put a table spoon into 1 gallon of water, follow the instructions but if you buy the right one, its a safe products will not create PH spikes.

You mean the following 6 products ... And how will you know if the ph is spot on? So you need a ph test kit. Sound like most of what you are saying is quoted from books. Do you quaratine your fish?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: