Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I have noticed that everyone is leaning towards acros and the montiporas especially monti digitatas have been few and far between. Are vendors (not just our vendors specifically but all vendors so no "chief" complaints) pushing acros because they can make more money on them instead of montis? Or is it another fad?

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I'll have some Green Montipora Digitata (frags off an original ORA piece) for sale soon. They do indeed grow nice and fast. I'm a big fan.

I have an orange one that's nowhere near big enough to frag yet, hopefully a few months, and am looking to get a blue one of these days.

Jarrett

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
yea man heres the Pink Digi

Attachments

• Jarretts Reef 6-16-12-56.jpg
    Jarretts Reef 6-16-12-56.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 107
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I can't speak for all other vendors but I'm stockpiling digis in my island volcano fortress in an effort to eventually drive the price up as they become "rarer", kind of like diamonds.

In truth though, montipora doesn't really show up on my lists as much as acros do now. I think the acros are more attractive and variable with the color combinations and a lot of the monties you see are the same things that have been around for years so demand hasn't grown like it has for other SPS. It's still out there, it's just that most people shy away because a nice green digi will most likely sit there in the tank while the acro colonies turnover more frequently. The ORA digis we have at Fauna grow enough to be fragged into several regular sized frags before even 1 sells.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I can't speak for all other vendors but I'm stockpiling digis in my island volcano fortress in an effort to eventually drive the price up as they become "rarer", kind of like diamonds.

In truth though, montipora doesn't really show up on my lists as much as acros do now. I think the acros are more attractive and variable with the color combinations and a lot of the monties you see are the same things that have been around for years so demand hasn't grown like it has for other SPS. It's still out there, it's just that most people shy away because a nice green digi will most likely sit there in the tank while the acro colonies turnover more frequently. The ORA digis we have at Fauna grow enough to be fragged into several regular sized frags before even 1 sells.

Great and honest response. Thank you J. Being that I love digis I appreciate your feedback as a vendor and a longtime member. :hug:

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I like digis but there doesn't seem to be alot of variety.

Once you "collect all 4" then there are not many variations available.

Acroporas seem to have an infinite number of colors and growth patterns.

Plus you are comparing a whole genus to a particular species of montipora.

There are MANY species of Acroporas and only one Montipora Digitata.

So it's kind of like saying "where are all of the Acropora Nanas? All I see are a bunch of other types of Acropora."

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
The green digi seems to be quite scarce these days for some reason. I have always ( and still do ) recommend M.digitata as the best beginner SPS--Hardy, affordable and beautiful. And I might add, still worthy of inclusion in any advanced reef system if folks would get over their "rare" designer named coral fixation.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: