rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Invert ID: Nudi? Limpet?

I have found this black slug/Nudi/etc in my tank. What is it?

Invert is:
.5" in length
Black, with almost hard shell which is white, and a white bottom (or foot).

This is what I think it is:
Elephant Slug, Shield Slug, Ducksbill Limpet (Scutus sp.)

c126470a.jpg

http://www.seaslugforum.net/find/scutus

****Keep in mind, pictures were taken near top of water, so the is a mirror image from the top of the water****

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

Thanks,

Rook

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
They're very harmless, as they only eat algae. They will only come out at night, when the lights go off, and will disappear into the rocks when they comeback on. They do grow to a good size, but nothing that big where it's a problem.

I have a couple in my tank and every so often they'll shot up eggs and sperms but unless other snails, which breed like crazy and you end up with tons in the tank, you'll be lucky if you get one when they breed.

rookie07

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.5%
235   6   0
Thank you for the response Marrone and Wingo, I was really showing the video of it shooting sperm out.

Marrone: i only have one, can they reproduce asexually?

I think they are amazing!!! I would love a few more...,please tell me they can reproduce alone.

Last edited:
Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Thank you for the response Marrone and Wingo, I was really showing the video of it shooting sperm out.

Marrone: i only have one, can they reproduce asexually?

I think they are amazing!!! I would love a few more...,please tell me they can reproduce alone.

Agreed!. I love it when I had it 5 6 years ago. I always try to search where it hides during his rest. I always like to keep strange animals that comes out only once a while. Friends always ask me why I like to keep tank inhabitants that no can see.:bagfish::lol2:

Now, I am in love with Deer Cowrie. I used collect their shells from the beach when I was a kid. Now I finally know how they look alive.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: