Status
Not open for further replies.

myblock175

A.K.A TECH KING
Rating - 93.3%
139   10   0
I got a bunch of mangroves but they don't look like they're doing too good. Anyone on here know how to maintain them? And what kind of light should i use? I currently have a FINNEX REFUGIUM CLIP LIGHT on them. HELP!!!!!!!!

CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE CLOSE MODS CLOSE THREAD

Last edited:

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Do they have leaves already? If they are just pods they can take a few months before you see any leaves.

If they have leaves I found that spraying them often with RO water is very important.

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I used a plant bulb and cheap work light from Homie. Spray with RO water often and your good to go. They are pretty easy actually, they just take a while to get going.

Also, be sure to watch for falling leaves. They will produce PO4 if allowed to decay in fuge.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
i never spray my mangrove i got 15 reall healty ones growing like crazy ...they need bright light i used a 100w clear phillip bulb from hd also they need a substrate i used carib sea mineral mud .. there are other ways i see people grow them but what i mention is how i grow mine

myblock175

A.K.A TECH KING
Rating - 93.3%
139   10   0
yo dubs where did u get the clip on to hold the bulb from though? that's what I'm trying to find out. I have the mangroves in live sand and crushed coral with some live rock. but my fuge light is only 26 watts. And I was told to spray the leaves once a day everyday

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have it in my sump without any sand just LR .Home depot 15 watt fluorescent light and is doing great. Like stated before if stem has leaves it will be quicker than just stem. It can take a few months once it's starts. I did hear you spraying leaves is good thing too.

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
It depends on how they do. The shop light and bulb at HD are only like $20 total so it's not a big investment. I can only tell you that my mangroves really took off with that set up.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
Can I get some facts on this spray mangrove theory ??? I have never spray mine and don't plan on starting eather am renegader I got my mangrove with just the shoots maybe a small leave popping out and in 4/5 months I have a forest growing i might have trim them soon

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Dubs, it's just what I read when I bought them. I think I bought them from Reefcleaners.com which used to be and maybe still is a vendor here on MR. In the direction on magrove care it said to spray them enough to keep the salt spray off. I have just been doing it cause it works for me.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
The whole left side of my sump is mangrove and no joke that forest serious and by the way this not my first time growing mangrove this what I do I plant the mangroves in mineral mud from carib sea(sand work also) about 1/4 up were the mangrove go from brown to the green stem and then they are in water 1/3 of the whole plant about 3" /4" above the substrate 100w phillips eco friendly clear bulb from home depot 3.49 for 2 and thats it. Am bizzy guy and with all the other things I have do with my tank clean skimmer/filter sock ect if I had to do stuff to ny mangrove i really dint think I would keep them

Last edited:

James983

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
As the saying goes, there are many ways to skin a cat. I hear you about busy Dubs. I have 4 kids and no time. But spaying only takes a few seconds and has become routine. Missing a day or two or three is not crucial.
It's just part of "my" routine, like feeding the fish, cleaning the glass, and cleaning skimmer skunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: