Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have used a restricting ball valve on the output side of my last two setups without a problem. This merely replicates more head pressure on the pump and it will function fine like this.

In the past I have run into hydraulic applications that made me think about how this installation.
On the aircraft systems I have worked on, the flight controls are actuated by hydraulic pressure from a offset variable displacement piston/cylinder type pump. The offset creates the output variation and is controlled by a valve that maintains 3000 psi within the system. In short, if nothing is being moved, there is no demand and there is no output from the pump.
A simple hydraulic system, such as a log splitter, has a fixed output hydraulic pump that is pumping fluid the entire time. That pump has to have some kind of return so when the log splitter is not in the process of moving then there is a pressure relief value that dumps all the fluid back to the reservoir. If it did not, the pump would fail 100% of the time.

Both these systems are like our tanks in that our sumps are on all the time, however, most pumps we use can handle back pressure. If it can it is OK to add some type of restriction on the output of our returns. If they cannot handle back pressure, then you would need to plumb an overflow.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
LOL. You guys in Jersey are crazy. Am I invited to the party?

I agree with thirty5 method of tee-ing off the main return pump to relieve pressure. However, I solved the great question of why?

My personal tank sump is design with a center return with the skimmer/overflow to the left and the fuge to the right. (Most sumps are skimmer/fuge/return) The main return is tee off to feed the fuge. I went with this for two main reasons, cleaner water and less "Floating Poop" and also serves the purpose of relieving pressure to the pump. This tee off also allows me to control the flow rate through the fuge.

As a side note, I have a secondary tee to a separate 40B tank as well. Wow, feel the pump pressure relief.

Disclaimer: This the view of "J" and only "J" and does not effect the views of Coral Theory. LOL

you can head this way anytime you like...

i like the idea of the "t" going into fuge section, do you simply have it running into fuge or do you have some sort of spray bar or similar item attached to the other end to direct flow in the fuge?

Brando457

NJRC Member
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Ant has the spray bar, which I most likely will copy with my new tank :).

Coral Theory us NJ boys know how to party? rough house idk?

Joe I'm picturing Ant walking through an aisle while I jump off the top of a shelf and hit him with the brando elbow.

Coral Theory

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
66   0   0

Joe I'm picturing Ant walking through an aisle while I jump off the top of a shelf and hit him with the brando elbow.

Ant needs to have the taser powered up. I'll make sure to taser you as your Brando elbow strikes Ant.:biggrin:

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0

And if you miss you go through the concrete floor

Ant needs to have the taser powered up. I'll make sure to taser you as your Brando elbow strikes Ant.:biggrin:
thanks for watching my back Jimmy

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I just want to add, I totally would advise to add extra ports on the manifold because you'll likely want to add things later which will make it much easier. Try adding 2 or 3 more then you think you'll need. I thought 4 would be enough, I was mistaken. :eek:
I don't consider any of them relief valves, just valves to run additional equipment so I don't need additional pumps to run them. :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: