thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I need to order some things to plumb new setup. Before i do i was wondering how many people use relief drain coming off main pump. The last setup i had i had a PVC manifold from main pump to display, one of the ball valves had PVC pipe running back to sump and was opened slightly to serve as relief. This an absolute thing?Serve actual purpose? Worth it, not worth it? Tia.

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Which pump are you running on this tank? If you are running a high pressure pump or a pump that is overrated for your tank. You may get too much pressure through the returns. To lessen that pressure you open the relief valve so that the water pumps back into the skimmer section.

People may tell you to put a valve directly off the pump and just close it a bit, but that causes back pressure on the pump. IMO you let the pump run full and use the relief valve to control the pressure/flow in the DT.

So for example in my tank running the Blue Line 55, with my single return. If I close my relief valve there would be so much pressure/flow in my tank it would create a sand storm and blow crap all over the place. So by opening the relief it lessens the pressure/flow in the tank.

:)

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Here it is...
This is the manifold that comes off the main pump. You will see 4 valves in this picture. The topmost one turns the manifold on and off. This is because I do water changes with my main pump. So I turn off the manifold so all flow goes into the sink.

The next valve (from the top) is the relief that goes back into the skimmer section.
The next valve is for my biopellet reactor
The next valve is not being used, but is available for another reactor such as carbon or anything else. I also plan to use that with just a hose on it, so that I can do water changes in my QTs. Since I use the water from my DT to to water changes in my QT, I will just pump the water from there into tanks :)

20120812_094308.jpg

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
I would stick to the regular ball valve after pump method. Restricting flow after the pump does not damage or affect the pump, and in some cases, actually will reduce electricity consumption of the pump. Just do not restrict flow before the pump and you're fine.
I see no benefit to the "relief drain" except for using more plumbing parts and taking up space.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Restricting flow after the pump does not damage or affect the pump, and in some cases, actually will reduce electricity consumption of the pump. Just do not restrict flow before the pump and you're fine.

+1
I see no benefit to the "relief drain" except for using more plumbing parts and taking up space.
I have used a 'relief drain' to keep circulation thru the filter/sump, while diverting flow from the DT.

REEFLECTIONS

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
i think it's a good idea, in fact later on in the month i'm plumbing a system for someone whose pump is too large for their system, and i planned on doing the exact same thing. plus you can manifold off that to run reactors, supply a fuge, or just dump some water back into the skimmer section for an additional cleaning. it doesn't take up that much space, and the pvc valve is not very expensive.

thirty6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
All good points, I'll stick with what i know
I did find it to be a pia to plumb stuff off man pump through manifold as the connectors weren't readily available, then i felt like a was putting a huge puzzle togethr just to run cabon

Coral Theory

Advanced Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
LOL. You guys in Jersey are crazy. Am I invited to the party?

I agree with thirty5 method of tee-ing off the main return pump to relieve pressure. However, I solved the great question of why?

My personal tank sump is design with a center return with the skimmer/overflow to the left and the fuge to the right. (Most sumps are skimmer/fuge/return) The main return is tee off to feed the fuge. I went with this for two main reasons, cleaner water and less "Floating Poop" and also serves the purpose of relieving pressure to the pump. This tee off also allows me to control the flow rate through the fuge.

As a side note, I have a secondary tee to a separate 40B tank as well. Wow, feel the pump pressure relief.

Disclaimer: This the view of "J" and only "J" and does not effect the views of Coral Theory. LOL

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: