Rating - 100%
30   0   0
So I will be going out of town for Thanksgiving this year and will not have anyone to take care of my tank for 6 days. This means I will need a highly reliable auto top off system as well as an automatic feeder. I have never run an ATO before, and to be honest it makes me a little bit nervous. I am not concerned about spending a little bit more to get a more reliable system, but really have no idea where to even start.

My tank is ~12 gallons and I am losing about 1 - 1.5 cups of water to evaporation per day. Can I get some insight into the best, most reliable type of system for my tank? Thanks!

8pixel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
168   0   0
I was really nervous about using one as well so what i did was have my aqualifter come on for 2 minutes every few hours and use the float switch as a backup to turn it off if the water level is where it needs to be. That way, if the float fails, the aqualifter never stays on for more than 2 minutes anyway which is around the same amount of evaporation from my tank. I'm using an APEX to manage my aqualifter and float but you could probably use some kind of outlet timer with you ATO.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
what about something like this +2 float switches? http://www.saltwatercritters.com/inc/sdetail/3028

or possibly a reefkeeper lite?

Josh, like Trigger said, that is only the accessory component that you'd attach to a Reefkeeper Lite (the least expensive controller), and you'd still have to add this float switch to that setup:

Digital Aquatics ATO Float Switch Kit

Total setup would include: Reefkeeper Lite + SL2 + Float Switches
That's a much more expensive setup than you need. My recommendation would be the Reef Fanatic ATO Level Controller with a Minijet 404

Hope this helps
Russ

peteyboyny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I set up a gravity feed with a ball float as my ATO when I went away. I made a bracket for mine but u could buy one pretty cheap. A 5g bucket, some 1/4" tubing and you're all set. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FEW DAYS TO TEST RUN YOUR NEW ATO! See how it runs and make any adjustments. Wouldnt want to find out something went wrong that could have been prevented. There is a risk of component failure in ANY setup. Preparedness reduces that risk. IMO, gravity is the simplest.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
My tank is an AIO, there is not much room in the return pump chamber. Could I fill it up a little higher so that the float switches could fit in there no problem. Otherwise I run the risk of the float switches bumping into the return pump or something like that.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
My tank is an AIO, there is not much room in the return pump chamber. Could I fill it up a little higher so that the float switches could fit in there no problem. Otherwise I run the risk of the float switches bumping into the return pump or something like that.

Josh, without taking a tape measure to it, these float switches are approximately 1" diameter. They don't take up a lot of room.

Russ

Attachments

• float switch.jpg
    float switch.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 91

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: