• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
0%...just got power back tonight...the generator ran like a champ for four days straight powering the tank and the household essentials, but the 2-3 hours waiting for gas is crazy...I'm saving for a bigger household generator to run on NG..prayers are with everyone who lost everything, not just their tanks.

mqur1963

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
100% lost 3000 dollars worth of fish lost, over 1000 worth of coral gone. They all lived untill Thursday on d' battery air pump. Also, my 9v battery 260 gal pump died first day, but the amazing thing was when I first woke up on thursday morning, the entire tank was polluted. All the fishes were dead and in one corner. The temperature was also only 66 degrees in the tank.

BobNY

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Haven't posted in a while. So far 0% loss. Still no power since Monday afternoon :(. I have been running my tank on a generator a few hours at a time. My ORA Red Gonipora is looking like it might not make it, but everything else is looking ok. Not sure how much longer I can keep this up though. Getting gas is pretty difficult. I have probably spent 10 hrs in gas lines the past few days. I thought I was going to loose my Mandarin the other morning. The tank went down to about 70 deg over night. He wasn't looking so good. Luckily he seemed to make a full recovery after the temp came up. Let's hope the power comes back on soon. The stress is killing me.
SO sorry to hear of everyones losses :(

BFITZ06

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Got my power back up today... But tanks don't look that great main tank hit 66 the other night when my generator ran out of gas when I was stuck at work. Think I lost most of my acans , but zoas and fish look good . I can't complain I'm lucky I still have my house .

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
75% loss in reef tank. Dwarf seahorses seem fine. Circulation appeared good (the backup battery from Ecotech ran my MP10 for about 80 hours, plus I had an air pump running), but temperature went down to 67 degrees when the electricity came back up (7pm Friday).

Will stay, but will try to find a solution for the heating, as the APC I have did not cut it, it just beeped when the black-out started, and that was it.

grknyer

Official Lurker
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
havent seen my tank since sunday, which is located by wall street. I'm assuming 100% lost right now
Unless your building has a generator you can bet you are going to find 100% loss. I work down there and the power is still out. They cut the power Monday evening. I am down here at the moment and we might have power tomorrow morning.
Sorry to hear about your losses everybody. I would have had a 100% loss too and would be out of the hobby for good. GOODLUCK EVERYONE!!!!!!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Power out since Monday, no loss yet but been running heater/ph/light 2 hrs/day on generator, and heater/ph on golfcart battery's at other times, can't keep the temp above 68 or so but I'm crossing my fingers only have some softies, a 5 line wrasse and a percula so may be hardy enough to last, we'll see good luck everyone. Oh in east massapequa btw

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
30% loss so far, lost 9 fish and sps frags; temps dropped to 68, generator kept running out of gas. Decided yesterday to break down everything to save what I could, clowns/anemones went to mom and everything else that survived went to Atlantis.

Will rebuild everything after the cleanup and powers back, will also look into NG generator for next time.

knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
Got back to my office this morning...been cleaning up since.

100% LOSS

Attachments

• tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 243
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 241

fifty50

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No power since 9:30p Monday; no loss thus far. been running the mp10 with a car jumpstart battery pack. it's been working well; charge for 2hr in the car with a AC inverter and it powers the mp10 for 48hr's. i haven't tested to see how long it will go, but i should when power is back up so i know for the future. have blankets wrapped and over the tank. every 12hr or so i've been boiling tank water on the stove and slowly adding it back. fed the clownfish this morning and they're eating so that's a good sign.

BaaMNYC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
324   0   0
Wow, my condolences to everyone that lost so much. I see so many users that are staples on mr. I hope you guys don't give up on the hobby.

P.s. I find it extremely insensitive to those that post they never lost power and have a 0% loss.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: