PolandSpring

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I would like to know how badly Hurricane Sandy has wiped out the reefing community in NY & NJ. I would hate to see less reefers on Long island. It is always nice to travel close to buy some frags/trade/ just talk in general.

Lets keep it short and clean so its easy to count.

Every Post
  • Post a reply only ONCE
  • Whether you will stay in the hobby or take a break
  • How many losses you had in the tank
  • 100% - Total Loss
  • 75% Most lost
  • 50% Half lost
  • 25% Lost just a few pieces
  • 0% - No loss

I'll start off:

0% Loss
Will stay in hobby

** Luckily I got power on tuesday even after my entire town was under 6 feet of water**

Last edited:

knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
Most likely 100% Loss in my office tank in Chinatown. I have yet to get back into the office.
Will definitely stay in hobby...but probably no more office tank just home tank.

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like one wrasse loss. 66 hours without power. Life saver battery air pump. All SpS alive. Temp went down to 70. Will stay but was thinking of quitting if loss of SpS.. Power is back on.............

Last edited:

ECFENCING

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
0% Loss. Power off for 48 hours. Luckily my neighbor lent me his portable honda generator (honda eu2000i) since he upgraded to a whole house generator. Ran generator only for 12 hours due to gas shortage and ran battery powered air pump for 12 hours. I also received an offer of help from another reefer (akma). Thanks Perry.

This is a great hobby and I've met some really nice people on this site so I would probably stay in and am realizing the beauty of maintaining a smaller tank.

Will be prepared next time though. Currently making plans to ensure that the tank is backed up for at least 5 days but not sure how I will accomplish that yet (either whole house generator or small generator. Not sure I want to deal with the 1.5 hour gas lines though).

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
0 percent loss but I tore my reef down as soon as I saw how extensive the damage was to my area. Rockaway beach is a waste land and wont have utilities for many months. Good news is all my corals and fish are alive in pseudos tank. The color actually looks great under his led kessil. I still have all the equipment for my reef and I will keep my rock alive until I setup the tank again. Overall this really sucks a$$

Master Shake

captain of tying knots
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
4 feet of water in my house...no power
50% loss as of now have someone holding whats left hopefully nothing else dies
will definitely stay in hobby

spiz641

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0% Loss .. No Power from Monday 8pm till Wednesday 9pm Bronx Morris Park area... All Run on Backup APC UPS and 4 Batteries a night with 4 Charging at work for Swapping so UPS was never down.
Def gonna Buy a Small Generator, carrying 70lbs of Batteries back an fourth to work to charge wasn't fun .. But Happy everything made it through

I wish everyone else good luck in this Tuff time

thirty5

A Little Annoyed!
Rating - 96.6%
84   3   0
Luckily I never lost power so I didn't lose anything. If anyone is in NJ and needs to house any fish let me know. I have 2 QT's that I can set up. I just need to make some fresh SW. I can possibly hold some corals if needed but would need to go in my DT, I do not have a QT for corals with proper lighting.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: