Flipper

Relaxing on the Reefin
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
yea i had the same thing happen to me when after a tank cleanign where i pulled a bunch of paly's off from the rock work with my fingers. Within 30 minutes i noticed Started a slight sore throat and by 2am i was in a full feve. I managed to break the fevor by 5am and felt crappy the following day but didnt end up in the hospital.

allenjj

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you and family doing better

Glad you and family doing ok. Good reminder that some of our animals need special care and attention when we are even doing simple things like cleaning. I made a mistake with my fox face recently. Am much more careful now.
Happy holidays

ocholoco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
hey

sorry to hear about this but just for next time, use other corals to fight your war, when a coral is taking over in my tank i usually put either a torch,hammer frogspawn, galaxia next to the coral to kill them for me. It has worked for me in the past.

dbriceno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
To all my fellow reefers. Thanks for all the well wishes. My family and I are doing well and I for one learned a big lesson on what NOT to do regarding unwanted corals. Wishing everyone a happy healthy New Year!!

bizzarro

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear you're doing well.

I usually use hot water to clean the buckets but after hearing this a while ago I only use cold water and dump water outside on the lawn.

I still have green palys but I think this is enough warning for me to just get it of entirely and they're spreading.

pcncrc

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Glad you are ok. I did the same thing once, never more in my life, fever, closed lungs, my heart was beating out of controll. I used allergy pills claritin antihistamine it helped me i was better after one day, maybe i did not get too much poison on my system thank you God but i learned my lesson. I was washing my frag rack to remove the same polyps in the picture that grows too fast, in hot water breathing all the vapor, I started to feal flu like symptoms. I had been working with zoas for years fragging, cutting, being careful using gloves, and now only cold water to wash anything from the tank for now on, maybe mask and glasses too.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to test how toxic your water is. I'm nervous after reading how some have had effects without direct contact. I had a tank full of zoas planned but now I'm having second thoughts.

Trump

ReefO'
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear you are all ok.

I had something similar happen to me a few years ago. After all was done, at least I thought all was done, I found out the hard way that it stayed in my water. My arms and hands would get covered in a poison ivy like effect whenever I would put them into the tank, regardless if I had cuts or scrapes on my hands and arms. Although I didn?t do exactly what you did, is there a chance that your water got affected? You mentioned you cleaned some rocks, did you put the rock back in the tank? Regardless you tried sucking the polyps out and at this point they were releasing their toxic poison into the water at this time. I would be careful of this!!! I had to use the heavy duty pond gloves/arm sleeve for a very long time after.

plateboy3293

Plate Collector
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Didn't know inhaling the toxin was possible. Thought it was either eating it or through a wound will have to e more careful next time. But I've done the boiling rocks thing before with those pesky brown ones. No problem.

Glad to hear your alright.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
China_Non_Sterile_Powder_Free_Latex_Examination_Gloves20129141644448.jpg

I wear these every single time i put my hand in the tank. As for fragging, its not really dangerous. Trying to melt them out of water is.

You are better off Kalk'ing them in the tank or just tossing the entire rock and buying a new one.

You can wear glasses and a face mask if you want to play it safe when fragging them.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I like how the OP tailored his story to the forum by stating, "I didn't want to kill my dog" when his wife and kid were also in danger. Glad you are all OK. Set your priorities straight, man.

dbriceno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Dude, I guess you don't own a dog. My wife and daughter seemed fine though stayed in the hospital for observation. My little dog is 13 years old, has heart issues and was not doing well. So yes, while attempting to lighten the severity of the issue, I said, "Even the dog was showing some symptoms. I didn't want to kill my dog". My priorities are quite straight, man.

ducati335i

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
178   0   1
I like how the OP tailored his story to the forum by stating, "I didn't want to kill my dog" when his wife and kid were also in danger. Glad you are all OK. Set your priorities straight, man.

There is always someone that has to ruin threads lol.. I'm 100% sure his wife and daughter come first.. I can't say that for the rest of you though lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: