edd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
I like how the OP tailored his story to the forum by stating, "I didn't want to kill my dog" when his wife and kid were also in danger. Glad you are all OK. Set your priorities straight, man.

this comment was completely uncalled for, the op clearly stated his wife and daughter first. i think his priorities are in good order.

bigbris1

Re-reefer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Dude, I guess you don't own a dog. My wife and daughter seemed fine though stayed in the hospital for observation. My little dog is 13 years old, has heart issues and was not doing well. So yes, while attempting to lighten the severity of the issue, I said, "Even the dog was showing some symptoms. I didn't want to kill my dog". My priorities are quite straight, man.

Good to hear. I've owned dogs and many, many other pets. You never know where someone's priorities are :)

And for all of the others who quoted me, I'm not one to sugarcoat things. Get it straight.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I don't know if it was explained yet but the danger starts when you rupture the polyp's tissue releasing the palytoxin into the hot water. That hot water steams up and aerosolizes the toxin where it is then inhaled. Inhaling palytoxin is (or any chemical for that matter) FAR worse than ingesting it. If ingested it has to go through your digestive tract where it's absorbed much slower, but in the lungs it's fired right into your blood stream where the full effects will hammer you.

You should really wear a mask if you're going to be doing anything where corals might be damaged (fragging or some types of maintenance) since any kind of organic matter that ends up in your lungs can cause major problems.

Sandyp1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is crazy ! I actually have a 12 gallon at work and this exact same paly is over growing in my tank. I was about to start to frag it off this week.
Now I'm thinking, should I just throw out the whole rock? It's growing like wildfire! What should I do and be safe doing it ?

dbriceno

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is crazy ! I actually have a 12 gallon at work and this exact same paly is over growing in my tank. I was about to start to frag it off this week.
Now I'm thinking, should I just throw out the whole rock? It's growing like wildfire! What should I do and be safe doing it ?

Sandy, If not covered by corals that you wish to retain, I'd recommend throwing away the rock. I've heard the Majano Wand can be used on these zoas. I should be getting mine on Friday. I'll post the results.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My entire family hospitalized

Back in July this happened to my family. Our LFS sent someone to get rid of some zooanthids that were taking over the tank. He took the rocks out and scrubbed them over our slop sink. Several hours later the owner of the LFS called to tell me the worker was in the hospital and we should all get checked out. My wife, my 3 year old, my two month old and I ended up hospitalized for 48 hrs with high fevers, nausea, vomiting and dehydration. I have never felt this sick before. Thankfully, no one was permanently affected, but this scared the s*** out of me.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: