Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
The reef gremlins seem to be angry these past few days as I know of several longtime reefers with serious system issues. Today was my turn. After avoiding Sandy and the recent Pratt fire, I was greeted this morning by a text from one of my co-workers that the reef looked cloudy white. This is never a good thing and it is an even worse thing when you are 5 hours away in Vermont on a family vacation. Diagnosing quickly over the phone, it was pretty obvious that the chiller had failed in the on position and the tank was very cold. I wasn't sure how cold because the chiller had the temp readout I use built into it and it was reading nonsense.

I had no choice but to call in the troops starting with my heroic student helpers Will and Taylor Jane. They started plugging in heaters and floating boiling water in containers to begin to bring the temperature up. Next I called old reliable Richie K. who hurried over to take charge of the situation. I can't count how many times he has risen to the rescue for MR members. He brought Nottick along with him and they were joined by James a bit later on.

All of them were there all day long and into the evening performing large water changes, carbon changes and removing seriously compromised livestock. It turns out the tank had dropped into the low 60's, but as best as I can figure it wasn't there for more than 10-15 hrs. Low temp is better than high temp, so I am cautiously optimistic.

Surprisingly, not much has crapped out --yet, and we are hopeful a total wipeout has been averted. The morning will tell a lot and the coming days will be delicate for sure. I return tomorrow evening and hopefully will have less than tragic news to report.

I really can't thank Richie, Nottick, James and my Pratt Reef club kids enough. Without them, this surely would have been a total disaster.

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
First off thank you for trusting us to look after the tank.
It is the least we can do for a true reefer that has helped so many others, here.

Before water change when we first arrived.
before.jpg

After 1st water change, it doesn't look like much but started to see some of the corals, and clam starting to look better.
after1.jpg

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Glad u had the manpower randy. Good job to all that helped out and to hear coral theory was ready to jump in thats just awesome. Nothing like manhattanreefs.com. What a great community ;). Randy ur tank is an inspiration to so many. Why does stuff happen when we are away?

TaylorJane

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still here. Going to be here with Will until 2am.
Wonderful way to begin the week! - happy monday
but in good news: we found several berghia that we added after the fall swap. they are happy and alive.

James

Zen-Reefer
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Randy has helped many people out in a lot of situations (myself alone countless times)... this was what anyone would have done if able and asked. I hope we did enough to save the reef, it would be a big loss for the NYC reefing community if it doesn't pull through, it is one of the nicest tanks in the tri-state and more importantly, it serves as a living ambassador to the hobby for a lot of students and other people who don't know much about reefing.

TaylorJane

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be posting updates.
Right now I am monitoring the system as fresh RODI water is being made to be mixed into salt water for water changes tomorrow.
I am also emptying the protien skimmer as it fills which is about every hour. And it is pretty nasty.
Keeping an eye on some corals that aren't looking great. staying hopeful.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I will be posting updates.
Right now I am monitoring the system as fresh RODI water is being made to be mixed into salt water for water changes tomorrow.
I am also emptying the protien skimmer as it fills which is about every hour. And it is pretty nasty.
Keeping an eye on some corals that aren't looking great. staying hopeful.
TJ - you are a super special lady!! We all thank you and Will & Richie and the others at Pratt..and James too! for all you are doing to help our favorite reef!!! :hug:

TaylorJane

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About to clean the skimmer again.
Currently upto about 70 gallons of water made.
May have to pull out one more coral that is looking pretty bad.
Temp has been steady at 77.5 for a few hours.
Salinity is at 1.027

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: