Rating - 97.4%
114   3   0
This was on the Eco tech page thought I would share
epyhymu8.jpg

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Yep the new Pro is impressive. Now the questions. What MH Reflector? This can make a HUGE difference in par numbers. I would like to see the par the Radion is throwing 12" off center of puck.

No doubt LED's have punch. Anything w optics will. And the main reason 9/10 people bleach their stuff.

What I want to see is a long term study of at least 1-2 years of the same tank lit by both fixtures. Like what Vivid is doing. But Long Term.

Whats the price on the Pro?

selkoner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.4%
114   3   0
Yep the new Pro is impressive. Now the questions. What MH Reflector? This can make a HUGE difference in par numbers. I would like to see the par the Radion is throwing 12" off center of puck.

No doubt LED's have punch. Anything w optics will. And the main reason 9/10 people bleach their stuff.

What I want to see is a long term study of at least 1-2 years of the same tank lit by both fixtures. Like what Vivid is doing. But Long Term.

Whats the price on the Pro?

I think the pro is $899 but not sure... I have my 1st gen radion sins it came out almost and this light is the best thing in my tank I upgraded to the new lens even tho I didn't have too but it makes quite a change ....

rkaragozler

Newbiee 4 Ever
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
I have to agree, what kind of bulb, ballast, reflector, and distance to surface of water.
Was the par readings done dead center to the fixtures, and also in the same spot for all the units, was their any water movement in the tank?
I would love to see more results.

strgazr27

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
123   0   0
Here are a few PAR shots for comparison. These are 250W MH's that are 14.5" ABOVE the WL in a 24" deep tank. Sand bed par #'s are crazy for 40" of total reach. These are Lumenbrite Reflectors. I swear by them and will run no other. Their output and spread is phenomenal. Par values of 150 15" from center of reflector at 14" AWL. You will not see a Radion pull that off ;) I really would like to see a long term real world comparison. I am a Tech nut at heart and would love to run LED's but at this point I have not seen enough of an advantage to make me give up my halides..

Jer_180g12K250ParTest12.jpg

Even more impressive are these 175W units. Heat is almost a non issue with these reflectors because of how high you can mount them and still get the par you want.

140PAR_3light_14inches.jpg

Here are some other Radion PAR tests that show lower values than those above. Again it is an advertising photo and we get that. Just want real world numbers. Hopefully Vivid keeps that display up and running for an extended period.

figure_2_radion.jpg

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
If the PAR is enough to grow corals in your tank why do we care about these numbers beyond that point? Clearly, better LED's provide enough PAR to grow coral in even the deepest tanks, but they are limited by their spread and to an increasingly lesser degree by their spectral and aesthetic qualities.

For larger tanks they are still prohibitively expensive IMO compared to other options, for smaller systems the gap has narrowed. I think we are past the days where LEDs need to prove their ability to grow anything. Now it is down to cost, features, aesthetics and appropriate application on a given system.

Frankly, I think many people over light their tanks. Heck, I used to grow Acropora under normal out put florescent tubes. I'm not sure why every new technology introduced turns into a pissing match even after the evidence suggests they are effective. All the available reef lighting options work if they are applied correctly.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
If the PAR is enough to grow corals in your tank why do we care about these numbers beyond that point? Clearly, better LED's provide enough PAR to grow coral in even the deepest tanks, but they are limited by their spread and to an increasingly lesser degree by their spectral and aesthetic qualities.

For larger tanks they are still prohibitively expensive IMO compared to other options, for smaller systems the gap has narrowed. I think we are past the days where LEDs need to prove their ability to grow anything. Now it is down to cost, features, aesthetics and appropriate application on a given system.

Frankly, I think many people over light their tanks. Heck, I used to grow Acropora under normal out put florescent tubes. I'm not sure why every new technology introduced turns into a pissing match even after the evidence suggests they are effective. All the available reef lighting options work if they are applied correctly.

Very, very well said. I agree 100%. I still don't get why people care about how others light their tanks. It makes no sense to me.

petraio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i agree with strgazr halide are proven to be good reef light after that t5 from a good company I have see led and none of them can keep colors but can not speak of the water quality of those tanks with led !! the cost just crazy as any new electronics to hit the market ! it doesn't justify to change a fixture, now if you starting from the scratch there is a gain

FathomLED

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 66.7%
6   3   0
Thanks for directing me to the thread selkoner. I did not want to post on the Radion thread but had felt compelled to. Anyway just got back from and install and dead tired. I will catch up and hopefully have a coversation about this.

dubs

renegade reefer
Rating - 100%
250   0   0
even if led are getting better mh still got them cook and i will run mh till they stop making the bulbs i don't really care what other are running on there tanks the colors etc the only advantage to me is the less electric that consume and that is offset buy the ridiculous price some of these unit cost

selkoner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.4%
114   3   0
even if led are getting better mh still got them cook and i will run mh till they stop making the bulbs i don't really care what other are running on there tanks the colors etc the only advantage to me is the less electric that consume and that is offset buy the ridiculous price some of these unit cost

Lol can I ask you a few quick questions dubs ... Can you dim your MH and still get the same out put ? Also what goes on after the lights go out ( after your light cycle) ? Do you have moon lights ?

Also what size tank do you have ?

Last question what's the evaporation like in your tank ??

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: