btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
Once again why not do DIY???
I know it is not as easy as it sounds but the upfront cost is a fraction of what you would pay for the already built units.

Using my tank as an example:
All prices estimated
180g 72x24x24
60 white LEDs X $6= 360
60 royal blue LEDs x $4=240
3x [ 9x16 heatsinks$68=204
2x hlg 240 drivers (runs 60leds) $100=. 200
Arduino controller for dimming runs 4 channels = 50
Wire +hardware+misc
Fans 3x $10= 30.

$1084

So for your size tank $2200 is the overall price.
Yes Chris and others are right about halides being cheaper. Not going to argue their points but, at least this gives you another option. I have tested my par with my local reef clubs meter. @24" NO OPTICS I recorded 240 lux (I believe lux is correct measurement) @ 6" NO OPTICS 880lux
All flow was off and I was 75% white and 90% blue.

Now since your tank is double the size double my setup
If any question about how well the coverage, color of corals, or growth please come by and see my tank. IMO best results and money saving results Is the DIY.
Side note if you need more light penetration you could always add optics as time goes on.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Once again why not do DIY???
I know it is not as easy as it sounds but the upfront cost is a fraction of what you would pay for the already built units.

All prices estimated
180g 72x24x24
60 white LEDs X $6= 360
Wire +hardware+misc
Fans 3x $10= 30.

$1084

Yes Chris and others are right about halides being cheaper. Not going to argue their points but, at least this gives you another option. I have tested my par with my local reef clubs meter. @24" NO OPTICS I recorded 240 lux (I believe lux is correct measurement) @ 6" NO OPTICS 880lux

If any question about how well the coverage, color of corals, or growth please come by and see my tank. IMO best results and money saving results Is the DIY.
Side note if you need more light penetration you could always add optics as time goes on.

+ time...

3 Orphek Atlantiks would retail for $360 over the $2200 but come with customer support and a 3 year warranty with only a few minutes to unbox. What are you really saving?

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Where did you get the DIY kit?

QUOTE=btldreef;1316723]Once again why not do DIY???

All prices estimated
180g 72x24x24
60 white LEDs X $6= 360
Wire +hardware+misc
Fans 3x $10= 30.

$1084

Side note if you need more light penetration you could always add optics as time goes on.[/QUOTE]

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Btld I had a DIY fixture I should have never sold it! I was happy with it but when it broke I had to pay to have it fixed I bought it ! Would rather have a manufacture warrantee and few units if one goes not the end of world ship it back! That being said if I had the time to learn how to build I would

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
Matt I would definitely help you build it. It can be made easily enough to do a quick simple repair. I have owned my setup for 3.5 -4 years. It can be fixed overnight or next day. I have helped many build theirs. Once I show you and help you, you will understand how easy it is too.

E.intheC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
150   0   0
One thing about DIY is the ability to choose the LEDs. There's no way I'd build a DIY led and not include neutral whites, warm whites, Violet/UV, and possibly a red, cyan, and maybe a green or two. Full spectrum LEDs are definitely possible. Even with solderless LEDs.

btldreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
180   2   0
E.in.the.c ... Your right the spectrum could be added. I have built a few with cyan, green, red, etc. I personally didn't like the output. If you dim at the right rate and percentages you can achieve the color you are looking for. I have had just royal blue and cool whites the entire time and I can get them to dim enough to give me a nice purplish/blue color that I like.

Quick example... I can get my pinks and purples to pop with just royal blues and whites.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1364402547.539327.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1364402547.539327.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 145

vio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98.9%
271   3   0
One thing about DIY is the ability to choose the LEDs. There's no way I'd build a DIY led and not include neutral whites, warm whites, Violet/UV, and possibly a red, cyan, and maybe a green or two. Full spectrum LEDs are definitely possible. Even with solderless LEDs.

+1,bhazard451 he got two over his tank (Evergrow IT 2080) i also order one.Good point about full spectrum.

crox99

Audi Sport
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Matt I would definitely help you build it. It can be made easily enough to do a quick simple repair. I have owned my setup for 3.5 -4 years. It can be fixed overnight or next day. I have helped many build theirs. Once I show you and help you, you will understand how easy it is too.

I am also thinking of the rapidled.com but I am afraid I wouldn't be able to put it together.

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have a 150 high that is 4 X 2 X 30" high.
I bought 2 Nova A6 LEDs that are dimmable 180 watts each with 90 deg optics from a place in VA that covers the warranty for $600 delivered.
You would need 3 units so that would be $900 and I am growing SPS wherever I want to.
You could get something like this and upgrade when the budget allows.

Mike's Reef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Fathom Leds

Just to clarify an important point. IMO The Fathom LEDs should not be considered to be generic AIs. This is a huge misstatement. I have seen AI and Fathom over one of the best tanks in the entire tri state area. The individual will remain nameless. The Fathom are different lights. Very different from AIs just to clarify.

FathomLED

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 66.7%
6   3   0
Where did you get the DIY kit?

QUOTE=btldreef;1316723]Once again why not do DIY???

All prices estimated
180g 72x24x24
60 white LEDs X $6= 360
Wire +hardware+misc
Fans 3x $10= 30.

$1084

[/QUOTE]

Par is measured in Micromoles. But there is a lot more to it than just PAR.

FathomLED

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 66.7%
6   3   0
+1,bhazard451 he got two over his tank (Evergrow IT 2080) i also order one.Good point about full spectrum.

White light is full spectrum. The effect of concentrating the light of a certain spectrum via an optic is where you start playing with fire. Never saw a green sun nor a red one for that matter. But that color is still found in white light just not concentrated. Goes back to the prism and how white light comes out in a rainbow. Dont understand why this gimmick has people shifting around spectrums like it will not have an ill effect on corals. Might as well go through the pile of old used T5 bulbs and see which one does the most damage due to spectral shift.
Really need a speactralradiometer to see this effect.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: