albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
You cannot calibrate a hydro. If crud builds upon the float its registering as less. I think they are useless and completely unreliable.

You can calibrate it against a refractometer... I usually recheck mine every few months, and they are still 'dead on' for about a year...been doing this for many years. I give them a quick rinse with fresh water after each use...much easier and quicker to use than refracto

ChrisB

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I had similar issue in the past and to raise salinty I would take my auto top off line and put it into a container of freshly made saltwater , to lower I would take out a gallon or 1/2 gallon a day and let my auto top off add fresh ro water. Go with the refractometer for the extra bucks its not worth lives stock being lost and give you a better Idea of your salinity.
In this hobby everyone has their way of doing things. If you are close to Staten Island I would gladly test your water with a refractometer vs the hydrometer would love to see the results.

cmantis

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Thanks. Ill look into getting the refractometer in the near future. Im downgrading to a 10 gallon soon :)

Keeping parameters in check in a smaller tank is much more difficult. I would say keep the tank that you have.

I am back in NYC now but if you need to borrow a refractometer or test kits they are still in Princeton and can make arrangements for you to swing by.

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
reef

Keeping parameters in check in a smaller tank is much more difficult. I would say keep the tank that you have.

I am back in NYC now but if you need to borrow a refractometer or test kits they are still in Princeton and can make arrangements for you to swing by.

Thanks man :). For now the hydrometer is fine. Ill see how everything is when I get home
Its time for a break

Last edited:

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
SO everything is fixed now. I lost my utter choas, half of my blue hornet frag, acan frag, all my sps, VDMS, emeralds on fire by cherry corals, and have learned my lesson. Just got an ro unit so definately looking to do a 20 gal water change to better help with the process.

Koolaidreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 92.3%
48   4   0
:)

That's what life is all about man, learning from your mistakes :) Good luck keeping everything on track. If your ever out east on LI, hit me up, I have some zoas I can cut for you :beer:
Thanks for the offer dude, appreciate it. Don't think ill be out there anytime soon, ive never been to long island in my life lol... well as far as I remember

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: