jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Leslie and her new serpent star. I thought it would be much happier in her sand bed than my BB. I had got this from Josh when he took down his tank, Josh remember having a tank :lol:

tank gurl.jpg

some of the rocks drying out on the front balcony, I put aside some of the other rock that had no aptasia for a closer look.

rocks.jpg

Dave/spykes and me

jon dave.jpg

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I left Dean, Kris, and Leslie in charge of emptying the tank
emptying.jpg

they did a perfect job :)
empty tank.jpg

what the h*ll layed all these eggs on the durso stand pipes ?
they looked like clutchs of AEFW but it was hard to say, the only thing in the
bottom of the overflow I could find were some bristle worms
durso.jpg

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
fear factor MR style

i offered any coral Kris wanted if he ate just one bristle worm.

he did not go home with any coral :D sorry Kris

worms.jpg

Leslie and Jerry took these guys for the sand bed in their sump.

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Glad everything went well. Just make sure you re-inpect everything before you put it back.

Btw, what is the right way of kalking the aips?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Pedro said:
Glad everything went well. Just make sure you re-inpect everything before you put it back.

Btw, what is the right way of kalking the aips?

I'm using my macro lens to look at everything Pedro ;)

I should clarify the aptasia thing.

I was mixing my kalk totaly wrong. I was making a very watery mix and injecting it into the aptasia. I did this because I had used Joes Juice before and thought that was the way the kalk mix should look.
Dean and Kris showed me your supposed to mix enough kalk with RO water to achieve a toothpaste like consistancy, then this gets fed to the aptasia, and after it eats it you then go back and cover the entire thing with the paste. I was probably just pissing off the aptasia and making them reproduce more, :arg:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the aftermath

in order to ensure all the aptasia and AEFW's were purged from the system, we came up with a plan to nuke the entire tank and plumbing in one go, tap water and 3 gallons of distilled white vinigar. this also served the purpose to loosen all the old coraline so cleaning the tank would be easy.

I had to promise Ink the tank would be sparkly new or he was going to make me get a new one :rolleyes:

So this is what happens to a 1.5 year old reef tank with NYC tap water and 3 gallons of vinager in 15 hours.

aftermath.jpg

pink foam.jpg

pink.jpg

to flush the system I will drain the tank again, duh, and fill the sump with 40 gallons of fresh mixed salt water. I will have a salt bucket in the tank under the return to catch the water coming out of the plumbing. The sump and the tank will just get wiped down with some RO water. :bablefish

scarf_ace1981

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
103   0   0
wow jonathan. you made that look so easy. you did have some great help.

how many aptasia where on that clam?

btw you have a very nice home. you sure we live on the same borough?:biglaugh:

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
WOWOOWWWeeee... Man wish I was there.
Sorry J, I was planning to go there but went to the subway out of habit to go home and once I realized it, I was already half way home. Sorry :(. Anyways, best of luck to you and let me know when I can stop by to check out the war zone. :D

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
scarf_ace1981 said:
wow jonathan. you made that look so easy. you did have some great help.

how many aptasia where on that clam?

btw you have a very nice home. you sure we live on the same borough?:biglaugh:

thanks for the home props, have you seen some apts in the city?
they make my place look like an outhouse lol.

there must have been 15 or so aptasia on the poor clam, I still have a few small one to take of on him, and his big brother needs some help as well.

Q, :smash: come over tomorrow there is still a bunch to do :rolleyes:

jawwad2004

Rating - 100%
37   0   0
J,
Man, was that a Mission, and your last "full tank shot," only one word describes it, pristine!
Regardless it was fun hanging out with everyone! If you need me to come by tomorrow give me a call.

By the way, the frags are doing excellent in my tank! (i almost glued my fingers together, lol) Great polyp extension. If you decide to get rid of one of those copperbands, let me know, ill take it.

tomzpc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's some job! Seems a bid extreme to me. Cooking it to rid it of detritus and nutrients is one thing but sterilizing it? At that point why not just go out and buy some cheap dead base rock?

Regardless of my opinion on your method, best of luck returning it to it's once former glory (as evidenced by your pic)! :)

Tom

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
the end game

Silicone Your Boards Down

why do you ask? well I sucked out every last bit of crap on the bottom of the tank, I wanted to see what was under the boards and I did not want the stuff on top to mix with the stuff on the bottom. I pried up the boards with a screw driver and when the first one came up this is what the tank looked like, from bright pink to dark black :eek:

dirty tank.jpg

I had to put my hand in there to get the boards out I could barely see my hand in the tank right next to the glass.

I had fun scraping the board with a chisel to get the coraline off. funny the vinigar took it off the glass but did nothing at all to the marina board.

board.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: