jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Picking up where this thread left off.

I have gone back and forth with this decision more times than a girl trying to pick out a free pair of shoes.

I will now be removing all the rock to kill and then cook :bablefish

Mike / Slama has graciously offered to house my larger fish for me, I know his skimmer will be able to handle the extra load for sure.
He will be taking the tangs, sailfin, hippo, scopas, and yellow, along with the blue throat trigger. I know these fish are super easy to catch, put food in the water then scoop them out with your hands if you want :rolleyes:

I will be keeping a flame angel, clownfish, black goby, mandarin, the large blue damsel I've had for eight years, and two new CBB's I just got to help with the aptasia problem.

The coral I will be keeping the larger pieces, the smaller ones I will be dipping and giving to others to keep for me till the tank is ready.

As per spykes instructions I will be super cleaning and cooking the rocks,
his method is, bake in sun, clean with vinegar to remove the top layer of crap, place in bleach to make the rocks nice and white, then soak in a declorinator to remove the bleach, then cook for a month or so.

So people coming to help, dace, kris, phil, dave, etc. please bring some containers to bring stuff home in. I will be dipping the coral for you, and I'm sure there will be a bunch of frags from the bases that you will be able to keep.

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Phil: it was a party in your head ;)

Randy: This seems to be the best way to tackle the aptasia problem and the AEFW's at once.

Herman: I might need you to hold some corals, call me later.

Mike: for some reason my rock would not let coraline grow on it.
it's about 8 years old from an old FOLR tank, so I'm hoping after this process the rock will be covered in purple and green coraline.

your right it is a lot of work but I hope it will pay off in the end.

I also have some resin rocks I will be using, I'll take pics later, they will look real once the coraline takes hold, and I can place the acros on them with out fear of AEFW's. Also the resin rocks are hollow with holes in them so the fish will have plenty of caves with minimal rocks in the tank.
If I find base rock with no aptasia on it I will be keeping that in the tank or sump for the bacteria.

P

Pedro

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
J,

I think we need to merge Kris's "16th upgrade" thread with this one. I get the feeling this is going to turn into the next "My 16th Big Changes" Thread. LMAO

I know it's hard to decide. But what makes it easier is that since you are breaking it down to begin with, then you might as well do it right!

About the rock cooking, that's a good idea. Now can't we do the same by cooking it in say RO/DI water? That will not only kill everything, but wouldn't it also allow for the rock to leach any trapped phosphates back out?

Just a suggestion, but try to document the whole rock cooking process so that we can use it for reference. :wink1:

kimoyo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
jhale said:
As per spykes instructions I will be super cleaning and cooking the rocks,
his method is, bake in sun, clean with vinegar to remove the top layer of crap, place in bleach to make the rocks nice and white, then soak in a declorinator to remove the bleach, then cook for a month or so.
If your going to do this, you might as well just put them in some muriatic acid. It will kill anything on them and dissolve off the outer layers of rock which the phosphates are bound to. Can't leave them in the acid for too long because it will eat thru the rock.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
WingoAgency said:
I can come to help after Saturday. LMK

I would like to trade a 8 years old rock that you cannot grow coraline on it to study it.

BTW the way thanks for the free aptasia-now I have two slightly different looking ones :tongue1: :tongue1: :tongue1: :shhh:

wingo you can come by and I'll give you some of the poor rock.

kimoyo said:
If your going to do this, you might as well just put them in some muriatic acid. It will kill anything on them and dissolve off the outer layers of rock which the phosphates are bound to. Can't leave them in the acid for too long because it will eat thru the rock.

Paul, at this point there's no Po4 on the rocks I can detect.

muriatic acid is a bit more hardcore than I want to deal with :eek:

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
jhale said:
wingo you can come by and I'll give you some of the poor rock.

Thanks in advance.

BTW you commented strange things happened in my tank, I thinks same goes for your tank - rock 8 years old and still no coraline while other SPS are doing good :tongue1: :tongue1: :tongue1: J/K J/K

jhale said:
Paul, at this point there's no Po4 on the rocks I can detect.

How you test for it on the rock ?:scratchch

LeslieS

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
JH, I have a bunch of 18 gal clear plastic containers on wheels and one 18 gal opaque container. Do you need any to cook your rock in?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
yes Leslie, I could usse those! I keep buying them LOL

I'll pay for your cab to get them here :)

not to cook the rock, but as fish storage for a day or two.

Last edited:

regal

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Jhale,

Anything I can do to help LMK. I have a 38g tub that I used to qt new fish, a berlin classic skimmer, a few powerheads, all you can borrow. Not to mention the 30g acrylic tank/sump I got from Don last winter still sitting in the garage and the 100g rubbermaid tub that I use for water change (don't need it for a few weeks since I just did a water change less than a month ago, but it is heavy though)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
pics of the big day

first big thanks to all who helped out.

Leslie aka tank girl, was a trooper and a half, she came at 11 and stayed till the end :)

Dave / daceman another huge help, he got to move all the coral out of the tank,
no small job.

Dean / deanos answered all my dumb questions throughout the day, without google!
and he showed me the proper way to kalk aptasia, lol.

Kris / nano helped kalk, and ID tons of stuff and kept his hands out of his pockets and manned the drain hose ;)

Jawwad kept us entertained and helped move some fish.

Dave / spykes came by and berrated us for being noobs then took my fish to mikes house, JK dave :D

Ty/ brattramp, helped me out catching some fish, and making fun of ink.

don / ink brought me some brand new clip on fans, drank a beer then left, we had to stop him from
taking my mandarin who he has fallen in love with. thanks don it was short but sweet :D

julie / mr widow came with don but had to leave due to health reasons :( sorry julie.

keith / nycfish stopped by to pick up some coral, that was pizza money ,lol

kasei / pseudo came to pick up coral , but ended up drinking eating, and making us pee our pants laughing.

phil / devious came by with lissette to hang out later on in the night, cool Pilly :)

and Jerry / B fishy came over with beer :D and to take leslie back home :lol2:

thanks to all you made it a fun, no stress day!

the last full tank shot of the old reef
last supper.jpg

150 gallons of new water made with seachem reef salt
water.jpg

Last edited:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
large green cap

this is the cap Dave got, look at this beautiful thing, it was stuffed in the back of my tank. how great it would have been to have just this on rock in it's own spot. this has given me new ideas for the next aqauscaping. I really want to have less coral stuffed into the tank,
i think it will look more natural and avoid the "fruit stand" look as dave/spykes calls it.

cap.jpg

dave and cap.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: