Status
Not open for further replies.

powder blue 3000

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to everyone, i have a 5 inch blonde naso tang with cloudy eyes so i decided to give him a fresh water dip (my first ever). Started by using a 5-gal bucket of tap water match the temp in the tank 78 degrees to the water in the bucket then added nova-qua plus to break down the chloramines then added kent marine super-buffer to match the ph in my tank 8.0 left him in for 5min then put him back in my main system he seems to be lay-boring and still has cloudy eyes, my question how long should a fresh water dip last? and for how many days? did some research on wetweb media and found no specific time fresh water dip should last nor for how long....

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
In my honest opinion you should never fresh water dip fish! Only zoanthids can be freshwater dipped successfully.

QT tanks are the proper treatment with pristine water conditions. Think of it this way, if every time you had a cold (viral infection) would you like chicken soup and rest or a dip in bleach/ethanol/disinfectant? Don't underestimate a fishes immune system to counter disease.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
Deanos said:
Wetwebmedia suggested a freshwater dip? Can you provide us the link to that page?

Nevermind :irked: I found one in reference to Marine Ich. It was suggested to use before placing a fish in a treatment tank. Was that what you were doing?

powder blue 3000

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Denos i didn't say they suggested it, what i said was in my research for fresh water dips they did not specify time nor length, any help would be appreciated.......

powder blue 3000

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its crazy how you get more sarcasm then answer on mr, the reason i gave him a fresh water dip was because he wasn't eating for 3 days and his eyes were cloudy i thought maybe he had some parasite i had him for two months and this is the first time that he has failed to eat....

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
It's funny how people do things.......then ask questions after...

The symptoms you describe does not justify a FreshWater dip.
So the answer is: you stressed / injured the fish out for no apparent reason.
There are other options to attempt to cure the symptoms you state.

DevIouS

- Untitled -
Rating - 100%
108   0   0
Oh by the way there is such a procedure called fresh water dip for various reasons www.wetwebmedia.com I'm sure 90% of LFS use this practice!!!!
Deanos said:
Nevermind :irked: I found one in reference to Marine Ich. It was suggested to use before placing a fish in a treatment tank. Was that what you were doing?

:tired:

& what size is your tank???

Last edited:

powder blue 3000

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your information i ask questions at my LFS before i fresh water dip him and did some research not eating for three days is a reason, he might have a parasite? in any event i'll try RC for some answer thanks anyway.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
powder blue 3000 said:
For your information i ask questions at my LFS before i fresh water dip him and did some research not eating for three days is a reason, he might have a parasite? in any event i'll try RC for some answer thanks anyway.
Your LFS gave you wrong advice.

...............and now your attacking MR based on our sound advice.

Good luck on RC maybe you'll find the "expert" advice your looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: