Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Stop buying sps corals till you find out what is wrong with your system. You need to check everything alk, cal, mag, nitrates, phosphates. (red sea is a good choice)

Lighting (how close to water is it. If using leds what %)

Salinity

Temp

Check everything with quality test kits before buying another coral thankyou

Last edited:

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I am not sure Petco is the ideal place for that... try a better LFS, or if you know a local reefer, you might get something more serious.

You should post pictures of your reef tank to get our opinion about why these Acros and Montis are dying. I would assume that you are not keeping them with the sharks? (even thought that would be immensely cool, I had read that sharks can hurt their skin on the corals)

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
If you're serious about trying to keep acros (or any coral for that matter) it would better suit you to invest in the appropriate test kits (the ones Tony mentioned are perfect) to do the testing yourself. Honestly, doing your own tests solidifies your knowledge and commitment to these delicate animals. Running to Petco or an LFS for them to test your water shows only a minimal interest in maintaining these critters. Testing on your own is the bare minimum for success with coral.....IMO. ymmv

Russ

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to petco and checked my water. I did it myself but used their chemicals. I don't know why people will think a LFS will be better. Its the same chemicals and procedure. I am going to try zoas and green star polyps. Will they pull a Micheal Jackson and turn white?
Ammonia 0
Nitritie 0
Nitrate between 5 and 10
PH 7.8
Carbonate hardness10.9
Iron .15
Calcium 390
Magnisium 1480
Iodine .05
Phosohate under .5

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
You should try and get your phosphates down (measure using an Hannah checker or other, with 0.01 precision), and your calcium a bit up.

The start-up packages are not bad, but as others have told, softies first then LPS's, then SPS's.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
russ your success has happened cause of my massive orders to a GREAT vendor on the site...

Im going to say this one last time please stop buying corals till you figure out what is wrong with your tank. Forget petco, petsmart, ect.... Get yourself a good test kit for everything you need and a refractometer. If you want to be a reefer and want to house these live animals, you need to be more responsible and stop being one of the downfalls of this hobby. (sorry to be harsh)....... It seems like you could care less if a coral died. If and when in the past i had a coral die I felt miserable and sad not only for the money aspect but for the reason that it was a living thing...

Please be responsible and take care of your issues at hand before adding anything else to your tank. We still haven't seen a full tank shot of your tank as well ;).. Enough of this craziness of buying and killing until you know everything is perfect ;)

Last edited:

Sharkbait420

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral dying is part of the learning process. I tried to keep them alive but it didn't workout. Now people who inject joe juice into anemones, zap them with the majano wand and rip algae out by the roots is messed up. These people are killing living organisms on purpose.Tony I posted my test results so what's wrong. Here is a full tank shot.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: