tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Randy, what is yours at the office and in home??

I'm in brooklyn and see a rise in my usual TDS numbers.
Usually 40-45, for the past week it's been 50-55.

I've been worried about the pipes in this building. It's a relatively new construction maybe...7yrs old? but sat around for 4 of those years unused.

Aquageek

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't measured the the in Manhattan in a long time since I started buying gallons of r/o water.....however it used to run very low like around 32 when I would test it. I live UWS-70th and Broadway. What I've noticed over the years is that the TDS is higher in the warmer weather. I even notice a stronger smell from the tap.

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Alright, might be getting to the bottom of this finally.

A month ago I contacted 311 through the "sanitation services" website. They tried to call me back once, I was unavailable, and when I called back the number I was given was always busy.

However, a week later our building's boiler was cleaned. (not 100% sure it is due to my notifying 311, but...)

Before the cleaning, the TDS was around 200.
A week after that, it had dropped to around 100.

I am making water now (aka 2 weeks after the cleaning) and the TDS is around 59.

So if you ever see your TDS jumping around, try and get some information about when your boiler was last cleaned!

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Hey folks,

Going back to that. I noticed that the resin in my DI unit was changing color fast lately, and saw that there was a jump in TDS to... 250! (normally it is around 46).

When pouring water from the sink, you can also see "bubbles" that are not there in general.

After checking first with the super of my building that it was not a local problem, I contacted the city, and their answer was interesting:

- there are currently some areas of the town which are getting water from the Croton Watershed, instead of the Catskill/Delaware one.
- the higher TDS is normal, and safe
- this is a temporary change, and it will roll back to the Catskill/Delaware basin, but they could not tell me when.

Side note: I live on the East 20's in Manhattan.

So... if you have noticed your water is different from what you are used to, that might be just that. They told me that they did get a lot of calls because "people have electronic meters and check it themselves nowadays".

smallreef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
mine used to be a consistent 25/26 from the faucet (battery park) for years. The last couple of months I've seen it raise to around 35/36 and was wondering the same thing.

(we have a water treatment plant inside of our building)

Geraud

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
49   0   0
It really depends on the area. At the output of your RO/DI it should be 0. Input depends on your area. No idea about New Jersey sadly. I do know it is higher than New York.

The only thing is you need to change the DI resin more often.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: