thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thank you. He was scratching his face, when he eats it's almost like he has a bad taste his mouth or something is iritating his face. No visible signs of ich. What do you think he might have?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
If you don't think it's ich then I would have done a fresh water dip for about 5 min, with Ph and temp adjusted, and then check what came off the fish. Sometimes it's very hard to see if it's gill flukes, especially as some are very small, then I would treat with either Prazipro or the power. The copper maybe a reason it's not eating that well, as some fish don't do well with copper.

Mattl22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I've been using prazi pro for all additions usually just dump some strait into bag b4 I add fish watch closely usually nothing comes off but few butterfly's I saw a lot of flukes start to wiggle and fall off fish it's a good idea to use it imo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The thing with Prazipro is it's a very water down version of Praziquantel. To have a real good effect you need to use a much higher dose of it, and in the end a fresh water bath would probably be more effective for gill flukes. Then again you need to know if you actually have gill flukes or not.

thomashtom

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Thanks he has been in the QT tank for about 2 1/2 weeks with a 1/4 dose of copper and 2 doses of Prazipro with water changes between doses. I dipped him a couple of days ago for about 6 min with temp an ph being same as tank. The copper level is very low but I will take your advice and put cuprisorb in filter to remove the remaining copper to see if that helps. I may do another dip. It just makes wonder how any flukes could possibly still be alive?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Flukes are really tough to kill off, and as with a number of other parasites it takes quite a while to kill them off, even with the medication. And remember eggs aren't effective by the medication, so it takes a number of treatments sometime to get rid of them. In the end it's a tough battle.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Just got home from work after leaving home at 5am. One regular foxface dead. On powerhead of course. Other magnificent foxface on powerhead but not dead. Moved to another location. See if he makes it through the night.
So for all the stories we here about buying fish same day out of all the fish I bought I'm happy to say only 1 death
Don't worry foxface I'll be replacing you and get you a girlfriend some time soon. Your memory lives on. Lmao

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Lmao Pat. I don't mind thread taking a turn since it went toward knowledge of our hobby. Anything that can benefit or help us i am all for
Your right as far as fish deaths I may own the record. Every day of the week I have lost a fish or 2. Nothing to brag about. Lessons learned. All the money I've lost I'm surprised I'm still here. People have left for a lot less. I've been doing good up until my 1 Black Friday death and implementing QT

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yeah it does sucks. I've lost more fish in the first 1-2 days of qt. look up chloroquine phosphate works on most fish 1 month preventative treatment. It's not too good for wrasses though.
The resurgence of interest in CP is great. It's experimenting and sharing info about what works that fine tunes it into success. IMO that's why we see huge gains in this hobby in the last decade. Sharing of info via the internet and great free sites like this.

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Sorry for your loss. Out of 10 fish I only lost 1(so far. Knock on wood)
You placed your potter straight into your display? I hope it doesn't contaminate your tank. Sounds like a dose of prazi may be needed

b-ridge

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 87.8%
79   11   0
Yes that is true but with most stores running there systems together when Black Friday fish come in. And if they have anything chances are it's gonna effect almost everything. Not saying anything is wrong with Black Friday fish. I just remember the big discussion on here couple weeks back about buying fish same day they come in and the stress and mortality rate

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Regardless of how long they have had the fish, or if it just came in and never went into their system, you should always QT the fish before placing it into you MT. And yes, buying fish that come in the same day you do take a big chance that the fish may stress out and die from all the movement between tanks and such, but most store did have fish that were in their stores for quite sometime, and with the Black Friday sales that they were running some really good deals were out there.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: