BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Hobby is in exact opposite of decline,, thanks to social media; kids in Ohio, Montana, wherever can order everything they need to set up a tank and hundreds of thousands of people instantly available to answer questions or sell them more stuff.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Nobody really leaves,,
This is so true! Even people that announce that they're out of the hobby, and sell their whole setup, wind up coming back a short time later usually with a smaller tank.

then there are those of us that just dont post much anymore

This is also true, a lot of people just stop posting, though they do continue to read the boards from time to time they just don't post. There are a lot of people like this, just like there are a lot of people that aren't on any boards, or even heard of boards to being with.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
This is so true! Even people that announce that they're out of the hobby, and sell their whole setup, wind up coming back a short time later usually with a smaller tank.

:theyareon

I sold my whole setup, the guy was kind of a newbie, had a small tank with 1 fish and 1 hammer frag that he's set up and enjoyed for the past few months. He'll never know how much he got hooked up, he got so much equipment and coral. BUT no friends that did this and no idea what a forum was; he saw my add on craigslist. MEANWHILE I have a small frag tank filled with all the colorful goodies I've collected over the years that are uncommon for when I eventually decide to go full blown mixed reef again.

r_jay

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I am just getting back into the hobby. I moved from Houston, TX last year and had to sell 2 fully stocked biocubes and a 65g full setup. I really wanted to keep it all but there was no way I could make the trip work (we HAD to spend a week in Disney world):rolleyes:

I'll never fully leave this hobby, it's too much fun and the fellow reefers are amazing (my experience in Houston, hopefully here too!) anyway thought I'd say hello and look forward to getting set up again. I have big plans for my little biocube (sad after having lots of room in TX) but now I can focus on just one nano. Hope to get started on my build this January and start a thread. I'm a budget reefer so I'll be taking my time:wink1:

Last edited:

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I am out completely. My decision was a mixture of money, time, family priorities and members of this community. I am very happy with my kids, girlfriend, home renovations, dogs, trains, rc cars and not having to care for a tank as well as deal with some people. Simply put. Yes people do leave.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

greengny

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I am just getting back into the hobby. I moved from Houston, TX last year and had to sell 2 fully stocked biocubes and a 65g full setup. I really wanted to keep it all but there was no way I could make the trip work (we HAD to spend a week in Disney world):rolleyes:

I'll never fully leave this hobby, it's too much fun and the fellow reefers are amazing (my experience in Houston, hopefully here too!) anyway thought I'd say hello and look forward to getting set up again. I have big plans for my little biocube (sad after having lots of room in TX) but now I can focus on just one nano. Hope to get started on my build this January and start a thread. I'm a budget reefer so I'll be taking my time:wink1:

Welcome to the community r_jay. Good luck with your new build. Lots of great people on this forum. Happy Holidays.

BioMan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
...can we define "lazy" because I'm pretty sure part of the fun in this hobby is designing a way to automate everything from lights to water changes.

mrdobie

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Share the enthusiasm for the hobby. Some times i think other reefers want others to go through what they went through instead of helping. Hate to sound so sadistic but read some of the replays to questions and you will see what i mean. People ask a question and others inbox the trying to sell them a product to solve or fix a problem.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: