Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Hey guys, so I thought I would create this thread for any beginners or experts that want to share their experience with moving a fully loaded coral reef tank. Well my experience this time around did not go so well! I under estimated how bad the weather was going to be. Don?t get me wrong, I planned for over 3 weeks but now I?m kicking myself in the butt for not just letting someone hold my corals while I made the damn move! WRONG move on my part. Here is a video I literally took 4 days before the move and then the aftermath pictures :/.

https://youtu.be/fzgH7hdVTOA

Facts:
I moved this past Friday from Astoria Queens to Stamford CT.
I moved two tanks. A 220 mixed reef and Display refugium. I did not move any furniture that day.
I broke down the tank Friday morning.
All fish survived with the exception of a few shrimp and anthias
Just about all my corals by Sunday were wiped out!

Game Plan:
I had oxygen, heater and flow for the fish
I had a heater for the corals during the 35 minute ride
I had 200 gallons of premade water waiting for me in Stamford

Issues:
One of the movers accidently knocked off the power supply in the truck for the corals so they were in pretty much freezing weather for over 3 hours because the movers I got from NY decided they didn?t want to make the CT trip so I had to scramble and find someone.
The powerhead I left in the coral buckets when I got to the apartment made the water super warm.

Anyway I can go on and on but this has been an absolutely dreadful weekend and I even considered leaving the hobby after seeing corals I have spent over 3 ? 5 years growing perish away within 48 hours. The smell of death in my apartment was also something else but my wife said no way are we leaving the hobby so we will do what we can to slowly rebuild again. After my buddies Vio and Mike NY hooked e up with some nice beginner SPS frags, I started working towards having a mixed reef and potentially a SPS dominated tank. Maybe now this is the opportunity for me to change the aquascape and flow so I can work towards that!

Please share your experiences so everyone can learn and not make some of the mistakes we have made!

Happy Holidays everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_7832.jpg
    IMG_7832.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 349
  • IMG_7833.jpg
    IMG_7833.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_7834.jpg
    IMG_7834.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_7835.jpg
    IMG_7835.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 352
  • IMG_7837.jpg
    IMG_7837.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_7838.jpg
    IMG_7838.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_7854.jpg
    IMG_7854.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 355
  • IMG_7855.jpg
    IMG_7855.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_7840.jpg
    IMG_7840.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_7852.jpg
    IMG_7852.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 394
  • IMG_7853.jpg
    IMG_7853.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 349

BKLYN REEF

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Sorry to hear this. I feel your pain tho. I recently moved myself and did a tank transfer in late November. Guess summer months are better for this sort of thing. Lol. Wasn't a total loss but I did Lose my 2 year old super male flame wrasse , blotchy anthias and pretty much all of my sps frags and a rainbow chalice. Tuff to bounce back from losses like this but I'm determined to make my reef a masterpiece again. Good luck!1

Reef lover24

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
115   0   0
wow man that setup was gorgeous. Model tank for sure. Tank moves are always rough but I guess you learnt some lessons from this. You'll bounce back.

Happy holidays. Man that naso is one gorgeous fish

BKreefbaby

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
What?s up dude same thing happened to me. But I moved from Broomklyn to Stamford. I probably lost 75% of my stock. Shoot me a pm so we can talk Stamford

Rating - 100%
204   0   0
I want to thank everyone for all the support! I really mean it because losing all your corals in one shot is as rough as it gets. The tank is doing really well and I plan on posting a few progress pics on here an my 220 tank thread. I was able to sell more than half the rock and I really like how the new aquascape came out for some soon to come SPS ha ha

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: