• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now let's see how you automated the tank with the PLC :D I gotta see some one elses set up, so I can feel the "need" to finish mine :lol: I just need another $300 in terminal blocks, ducting and wire PLUS the motivation to wire it up :( With 30 relays, 22 inputs and 14 float switches to wire up and get Charles to help me change my programming, motivation is ar an all time low on the project :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked and looked, but couldn't find it - what bulbs are you using? :D

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Ok.. here are some more update pics for you.

The pumps....

pumps.gif

I covered the back of the tank with some black coroplast. tis velcroed to the back so I can remove it for cleaning as well as to take a peek behind the rockwork if needed. This way I wont see through the tank into the room behind.

tank-back-covered.gif

The front with back covered.. and my ghost in the tank. :)

tank-back-covered2.gif

I also finished pumbing in the filter manifold... to allow me to easily hookup the Ca reactor, Phosphate reactor, and Carbon easily. its all teed in from the main circulation pump.

filter-manifolds.gif

Now its off to take a break from the tank and do some other stuff in the basement to finish it off.

sanjay.

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I wish I had the money and time for a 500G!!!

And what is coroplast? Is it kind of like starboard? And did you just put 3M "sticky-back" velcro strips on the glass and the coroplast? I've been trying to figure something like this out for my built-in-the-wall FW planted tank but this sounds like the best idea so far!

BTW, keep the pictures coming!!! Looks awesome so far! :D

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Coroplast is a corrugated plastic material that is used by sign makers. Its quite light and comes in a large variety of colors. I paid $20 for a full 8ftX4ft sheet.

Yep, put some velcro on the glass and the sheet to hold it in place. I filled the gaps with black electrical tape.

sanjay.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you made incredible progress. And you thought you weren't going to get it done before fall ;)

bleedingthought

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sanjay":1d7ko8jx said:
Coroplast is a corrugated plastic material that is used by sign makers. Its quite light and comes in a large variety of colors. I paid $20 for a full 8ftX4ft sheet.

Yep, put some velcro on the glass and the sheet to hold it in place. I filled the gaps with black electrical tape.

sanjay.
Where can you get coroplast?

TIA :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bleedingthought":gwijqyuf said:
Sanjay":gwijqyuf said:

sanjay.
Where can you get coroplast?

TIA :D

Tap Plastics has it. :D

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the tank and especially the way you lifted it! Did you do anythng "special" for the evaporation with the tank being in the basement?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Are you using a humidistat to control the unit? I am in the planning stages for a large basement tank. Thanks for the answers!

sanjay

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Ok.. here is the update.

The scratched glass has been fixed (replaced), waited 2 weeks after it was done to let it cure. tank is now full with salt water and up to temp. I have been building the rock work gradually.

I have been planning the rockwork in the form of pillars to allow for a more open structure, and still be able to get rock to stack up high enough.

here is how I am assembling the rock, using thorite to glue smaller peices to make larger ones.

assemble-rocks1.gif

assemble-rocks2.gif

Then drilling the rock, and stacking them on a tile base using a acrylic or fiberglass rod. Here as some initial experiments using a cpvc pipe.

rock-try-1.gif

rock-try-2.gif

rock-try-3.gif

rock-try-4.gif

sanjay.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: