Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I can't believe it.

I bought two anthias from them yesterday and one of them is already dead. My tank is nearly all SPS, with three other fish that are doing fine. The one other anthia is fine as well.

I called them up and asked if I could get a refund. They said "No refunds, livestock is non-refundable". What the hell is up with this? I could get the same fish SHIPPED from CA, FL, wherever and I would get an arrive-alive guarantee. This normally means the fish is guaranteed to stay alive for 5 days or something.

Honestly, what the **** is up with this store? I have spent thousands of dollars there and this is the first time I have ever asked for a replacement or a refund. I live in Manhattan (no long commute), I acclimate very slowly, if a fish dies they should replace it!

Also, Suresha (sp?) had the nerve to ask me if I checked my water conditions! Give me a ******* break. Why don't you check the water conditions of your tank of dead LPS? The health of most of the coral in there is atrocious!

From now on, the only thing I will ever buy there again is brine shrimp. I don't care if it costs more somewhere else (how could it?) or if I have to drive out to LI, NJ, CT, wherever.

I get more appreciation from mail order places that have no idea who I am!

</venting>

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Absolutely, Positively, Completely, and Totally AGREE .

The place is a complete ripoff and is inhabited with complete a**holes (and I don't mean the creatures submerged in water).

I swore to never buy anything from them again a long time ago.

I say we boycott the place. I'm with ya Josh.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Josh

I don't think any of the store in the areas will guarantee marine fish only fresh water. This is because fresh water fish cost less and marine fish are more diffitcult to keep. Most places will lose their shirt if they have to reimburse people for their marine fish loses.

Most mail order place guarantee there fish because you can't see them before they ship and you don't know if they're ok otherwise you'll be taking a chance.

That being said I think you should take the back to them, in person, and tell them what happen and either get some sort of refund or a discount on another fish.

I had a sitution with them where I want to buy a fish and have them hold it for a week, while I setup my new tanks, and Suresha told me no.
At that point, after all the years of buying fish and things from them, I stop going there. Well after about 8 months or so I showed up and Suresha couldn't have been nicer to me.

Josh I would asked for either a refund or some sort of discount and if they tell you no just tell him good buy and your going somewhere else.

Michael

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt buy anything from New World even with your money.LOL. Josh we have a great alternative to New world here in Manhattan. Just give Joe (Joes Place)a call let him know what you need. Im sure if he doesnt have the fish he would try to get it. I believe he would stand behinde his product to. The shop is cross town but its in this borough.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I've only been going to New World to get brine when Petland is out. I haven't bought any livestock in there in a while mostly due to the extremely poor health of all their coral. I don't think even Suresha would say that their stock tanks are doing well. Nearly everything in there over the past 4 weeks has has noticable decay or outright tissue loss, the worst ones being their LPS.

I flushed the fish once I got off the phone, I had already made my mind up that this was definately the last straw.

Suresha, there is a limit to how poorly you can treat loyal customers. Judging by your less-than-stellar reviews on this site you clearly don't know that.

NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you say refund. do you mean credit or replacement ass well?
no refund is understandable. no matter.

other than that, your best bet is to go there with the dead fish and let them se you and speak to you in person.

But honestly, if their tanks look as bad as everyone says, why buy from them in the first place?
Thats an

NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you say refund. do you mean credit or replacement ass well?
no refund is understandable. no matter.

other than that, your best bet is to go there with the dead fish and let them se you and speak to you in person.

But honestly, if their tanks look as bad as everyone says, why buy from them in the first place?
Thats an

NaClH2oTANK

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hit add reply by mistake.
I was saying...

That's another reason I like House of Fins so much.
They know me. By name.
And they have customers that spend tons of money. way more than I do.
I have only had one thing fom them die. and they replaced it.
no questions asked.

House of Laughter

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 100%
310   0   0
Man-O-Man

When will these guys ever learn? I guess when everyone stops going there - I can honeslty say, I have never had a good experience there - staff is always rude and I spend 40 minutes there once before anyone asked me for assistance.

Understandable, no refunds on marine fish, I agree - but even the local petland guy by me knows my tank and its health - a fish dies in my tank, they make good on anther purchase - this is the very least they should do for you.

As an aside, I haven't been to NWA in 8 months and frequent just about every other shop every weekend - their loss.

Josh,

Absolutly Fish had some beautiful Anthias about 3 weeks ago - beautiful orange and pink - they were 49.99 each (not bad for them). Let me know next time you want to hitch a ride.

House

triggerboy

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with you Josh. Everytime I go in there they treat me like I'm some sort of invisable idoit. Never mind the demeaning things they say to my wife when she stops in to pick things up for me (she works 5 blocks from there) Annoying when I get that type of attitude while my tank looks better than any of theirs!!!! I don't think I've spent in the thousands like some... but defintely in the mid hundreds... and I don't buy really expensive fish (probably why I'm invisable to them). I now try to buy from Absolute Fish in Clifton... it's a bit of a ride, but I'm happier there than dealing with the people at New World, maybe if we all stop going they will wise up a bit.

J.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I dropped a handful of pennies in their main reef tank.....That will teach them!!! J/K

I bought one thing from that store, a green digitata. The same digi that I traded with lots of you guys. Honestly I stopped going there when I asked some guy (Mid eastern man) how much for the Pinpoint PH monitor? He said $160, I said no not the controller, the monitor. He said it's $160!!! Does he know how cheap these things are online? I then asked well how much is the controller?...answer: very expensive. What a J/O

[ February 08, 2004, 04:53 AM: Message edited by: jackson6745 ]

Melt

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
well.i second my fellow reefers,everything bout htat store suck, I when by a week ago and got a parking ticket for $115...

"my wife said good for you"

everytime i said i will never step foot back in that store, i still find my self going there after a year or so...

it was a better store when it was on 8 street...

bigmanny

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work not to far from this place. I have to agree
with you all. I have never bought anything there because nothing looks good. I take the train ride up to Sal's (NYAQUARIA)and I am never disappointed
or leave unapperciated. Even the CT stores have good quality if you don't mind the prices. I don't expect any shop in the metro area to offer the same prices as mail order. They don't even make an effort to make you want to shop there.I can't believe no one has stepped in to the city and put them out of biz.

Manny

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bout time the rest of you learned.

They sell anything to anyone, don't give a rats ass about the customer and they are so overpriced it's frightening.

Liveaquaria.com not only gives you an arrive alive, they also give a 5 or 10 day guarantee and they REFUND your money if the animal dies. No store credit (unless you want it).

Most lfs will not refund or give credit on salt animals, especially not corals. I really don't see this as a problem. Instead, knowing a customer is a valuable commodity, they should simply give you a big discount on a replacement.

jreef

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Gee...didn't we go through this about a year ago?

Josh: If there is a group serious about opening a store in Manhattan, I'd be interested.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to beat a dead horse, but we just got 4 Baggnai cardinals from New World...one died before the first night was over. The other three lasted another few days. $100 down the drain!

We have vowed not to go back. Ever.

E

erik2003

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, I have never had anything die from there. Plus the staff has been pretty nice to me. I understand the prices are way way high, but I think that is due to the rent and their expenses.

However, you can only beat their prices buy buying multiples from the internet (which I did, and most of those died -from petsolutions.com sales).

Over all I still go there, I think their supply is vastly superior to PetDiscount. I think their quality is second to none and they have everything you need. They have a good array of fish frozen food, and supplements.

Sorry to rain on the beatdown but I like the place. Even though it IS expensive.

cla009

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This place is a ripoff. They have a few nice things in their showtank but most of the stuff for sale especially the LPS is dying. Never had a problem with their staff, I guess this is because I have never spoken to them :) If you're in the market to be ripped, I would def recommend this place.

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Erik,

There are a LOT of other places in the area that have a much better selection of more than healthy livestock. When I first got into reefing I thought it was the only place around to buy nice coral, now I know better.

I live very close to them, and still consider it worth my while to drive to NJ, LI, or CT to make my purchases.

The livestock supply is so much better, you'd be amazed. Not to mention New World seems to be having some problems with their coral tanks recently and everything in there looks just about dead. I really wish it wasn't so, it would save me a lot of time to buy from them, but I would rather not waste my money, and at this point I'm looking for livestock aside from their typical leathers and hammer corals.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: