DontXtripNfall

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Wingo gave me two to see if they eat some cyano... i've seen them go on it and peck at something but it didn't seem like they are eating... only time will tell i guess.. Paul how tiny are the horseshoes like dime sized? i've never seen the really tiny ones

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
I put them in my 150G rock tank and the belly of my FW fish.

I left the rest in every here and there so that they can clean the algae on the rocks and bottom of my tank.

Hmm, I need to test them with hair algae-if they do eat it, it would be so great since my friend has a hair algae bloom. I know they don't touch aptasia for sure.

They don't touch meat because they do not pick on the dead frys nor shrimps.... While the snails and hermits are over them.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Wingo, Bob and Booze, it looks like amphipod/shrimp collection is over. No one in four forums wants to go. (bunch of Sissies) I am going to be anchored off of that beach all weekend but I don't think I will make it to shore. If I do I will try to take some pictures.
We moor out further at that mooring I showed you and tie up with a few other boats. It is too far to swim to the beach from there and I don't need any more shrimp or amphipods yet.
Let me know when you guys want to go back.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
oh, wasn't paying attn. I would go tuesday or wednesday. There is absolutely nothing going on at school. Would I be able to bring someone? I don't know if she'd want to go, she isn't into aquatic wildlife..or boats...but I'll ask.

What do I bring if I ever get to go?
(btw, does this require swimming?)

boozeman

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Hi Tunicata !!
no swimming required you can wade into shore.
bring a change of clothes(you will get wet), also wear some type of closed 'aqua shoe' , a net, and a bucket or two, some lunch.......and two silver coins to pay Charon :D

btw, to any people on the line considering doing this.... it is a lot of fun !!!!

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Would I be able to bring someone? I don't know if she'd want to go,

Yes you could and if she is even partially good looking she comes for free, if she is real good looking (at least better looking than Booze) I will pay her to come.
:tongue1:
There is no swimming just as Booze said, you have to wade to shore in 5'deep water.
She can sit on the boat and tempt skin cancer, I mean listen to the music and tan. (there is a sun shade top)
It is a 10 minute boat ride at 5 mph right near shore. I am a lisensed Captain and never lost anyone or sunk the boat (not yet anyway)
If anyone wants, we could take a short tour of the Gold Coast where there is the Mansion where they filmed "the Great Gatsby" (I know, before your time, look it up) also Arizona Ice Tea's home and the owner of Weight Watchers. Or of course we could just collect and go home.
If we get 4 people we split the gas which is $12.00 a person :tongueani
(gas is $5.40 a gallon on the dock and I get about 3 miles to the gallon, I am not making out on this)
If anyone else wants to go on Wednesday morning, now is the time to let me know. Even if you don't want to collect you can sit in the boat or swim.
Have a great day, I know I will because I am going to that beach now.
Paul
Execution Lighthouse right out of my Harbor commissioned by George Washington and one of my favorite SCUBA spots.

While diving off this lighthouse for lobsters years ago we come up to sit on the rocks to check out our catch. We noticed that the steel door which was sealed since WW2 was broken down so we went in with our SCUBA lights. The entire first floor which used to be a kitchen for the keeper was filled with WW 2 radio and Radar equipment. Old vacuum tubes and huge microphones. We diden't want to bring any of it in the water to get it to the boat so we decided to come back in a few days with a Zodiac boat. We did but by then the island was circled with a barbed wire fence and the door was again sealed. We got nothing but lobsters.

HuckelberryIsland006.jpg

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Joe unfortunately my boat is booked up all summer on the weekends but next week it will be low tide in the afternoon so maybe we can go again.
This is Huckelberry Island off New Rochelle my other favorite SCUBA place. At night you could collect 7" mantis shrimp and temperate anemones here. The Island was a big party place during Prohibition where they used to have gin parties while they watched out for the Coast Guard. It is uninhabited and the largest cormarant sanctuaries in the world. Not really legal to go ashore there but no one ever bothered me.

It is a really nice exploring spot and on one small part of the Island, collecting pods is great.

I should start chartering collecting/sightseeing tours

HuckelberryIsland008.jpg

Last edited:

boozeman

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip, That started from this tropic port, aboard this tiny ship. The mate was a mighty sailin' man, the Skipper brave and sure. Five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour. A three hour tour.....

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip, That started from this tropic port, aboard this tiny ship. The mate was a mighty sailin' man, the Skipper brave and sure. Five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour. A three hour tour.....

Yes and Maryann and Ginger can come for free. Mr and Mrs Howell can pay double, and the Professor can give amphipod talks while Gilligan waxes the boat.
Here is my "Ship"
BoatwithCynthia009.jpg

Last edited:

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Booze I am enjoying that Cognac you brought. When it is empty which will be very soon I willl buy another bottle. I like it as much as Grand Marnier.
I was again at the collection place yesterday and today but I diden't go ashore.
Out of the four forums I am a member of, no one wants to go collecting this wednesday so I guess I will go by myself. Maybe I will bring a camera this time. I can't man the two man net for the shrimp so I will just get amphipods. I am not sure what I am going to do with them yet, maybe I can train them to do circus tricks.
I had a boat problem yesterday where the gear shift handle came off in my hand, not good if you want to stop. I fixed it today by drilling and tapping some set screws in it.
The tank where I am keeping my extra amphipods is very cloudy and I can't hardly see the other side, thats what happens when you collect too much and have no place for them. The bacteria bloom will clear soon and the amphipods, shrimp, snails and crabs don't seem to care.
Take care.
Paul

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: