jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
it's not that strange, those screws cost more money.
sad to say they would rather have the money than worry about your coral.
I'd write to them and see what they say, from what I hear danner has great
customer service. lets see what they do for you.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
nanoreefer22 said:
Hey Shaun,

Sorry to hear about those Mags and your tank. I really hope it bounces back cause you know i was WoWed when I saw it. If you need help with anything let me know. I'll be around monday if you need anything.
-Kris
Thanks Kris!! :D

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
solbby said:
Rich - is your problems (?) causing SPS bleaching from the tips? Good indication of slow toxicity due to leaching effects.

No, my corals are stning from the base up. According to bomber my problem is from too much po4 in my rocks but he's full of shiznit! I clean a slight film of algae on my glass every 7 days or so, is this a sign of high po4? My old tank had a MUCH higher nutrient level and I had no problems.
I have nothing to lose so I pulled my mag pump and will probably replace it with an eheim. The mag needed to be replaced anyway.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
jackson6745 said:
No, my corals are stning from the base up. According to bomber my problem is from too much po4 in my rocks but he's full of shiznit! I clean a slight film of algae on my glass every 7 days or so, is this a sign of high po4? My old tank had a MUCH higher nutrient level and I had no problems.
I have nothing to lose so I pulled my mag pump and will probably replace it with an eheim. The mag needed to be replaced anyway.
Capt. Ahab! perpetually in search of the whale!

PO4 would not cause SPS bleaching in small concentrations. Besides the amount of algae growth (huge amounts) you would have seen before the STN would have been the tell tale sign of high P effects.

As for the pump I would at least inspect it and/or replace the screws with titanium screws.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Shaun, the MAG 5 that I have has plastic screws in it. I don't see the corosion that you do but the inside of the pump kind of smells like a rusty micron block from an ro/di. I needed more flow through my chiller anyway and wanted a more dependable pump (or my tank would boil)

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
jackson6745 said:

I must be lucky.
I used seven year old tap water top-off soaked live rock to start my new tank. I did not cook the rock and it shed like crazy. I had high po4 for a while, I could not tell if it effected anything, but some phosban took care of it. I have to clean my glass of green algae almost every day. I feed my fish at least three times a day and could care less about nutrients, my coral do not seem to mind so I don't.
I do change the water, about 20-40 gallons a month, the total system is about 155 gallons.

I don't get it Rich, our tanks are similar set ups about the same age as far as "set-up" age. Why would you be having a po4 problem and I did not, it does not make sense. And as for nutrients you skim way more aggressively than I do, so that should not be a problem for you either.
If it ends up that the mag pump was the problem I'd be pretty angry at danner.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
I just ordered 300 nylon screws to fit Magdrive 12, 7, and 5. Obviously I don't need that much, so I will be bringing them to the fragswap if anybody would like them for their existing Magdrive pumps.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
jhale said:
I don't get it Rich, our tanks are similar set ups about the same age as far as "set-up" age. Why would you be having a po4 problem and I did not, it does not make sense. And as for nutrients you skim way more aggressively than I do, so that should not be a problem for you either.
If it ends up that the mag pump was the problem I'd be pretty angry at danner.

I don't get it either. As far as I'm concerned I don't have a po4 problem. My salifert testkit reads 0, MSHUR's Hanna tester read .02 (and I have no visible algae problem) The Po4 problem was bombers explination why my corals were dying from the base up. According to him, SPS "wick" up po4 from the rocks and die, leaving a green tint in the base of the SPS. I did have a green tint inside my dead SPS but why didn't this happen in my DSB system?
I really hope its something as simple as a bad pump :(

Is there anything inside a Pacific Coast chiller that can leech into the water?

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
their heat exchange is titanium, that does not leech anything.

.02 po4 is not bad, and certainly not enough to kill your coral.
if it was most of the sps tanks being kept would be wiped out.

spykes

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
wow shaun that'd be great, i couldnt contact smallparts.com today, so i didnt order any TI screws. One thing im worried about the nylon screws is tightness, oviously submersible is no problem, but i run things external im wondering if i need it, but then again if i run external it's not in water LOL, silly me. Anyways awsome shaun! how'd you figure out what thread size it was?

cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
Shaun,
I always have some kind of rusted items in my sump, mostly pumps or a screw or two dropped in by accident. I never related any of my coral issues to the iron since I also dose iron to get macro algae growth.

On the nylon replacement screws, make sure they are sheet metal screws, not machine screws because they are different threads. I am pretty sure you guys will have a hard time finding titanium sheet metal screws, Ti are mostly used for making larger bolts, not little screws. Ti hardware are also very expensive if you do find a source to buy them from.

boardryder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Do you have any more of those nylon screws? If I could somehow get a few or at least point me in the direction of where to get the right size ones. I'll pay. I found my Rena canister filter was rusting and now I have a mag drive. I want to stop any problems before they happen. Thanks.

fritz

OG of this here reef game
Rating - 95.9%
47   2   0
If you search the chemistry forum on RC there's a few posts by Randy Holmes Farley stating:
"FOR THE LAST TIME, RUST IS NOT BAD OR HARMFUL TO A REEF!" In fact most of us pay handsomely for rust to add to our tanks in the form of phosban, phosar, rowaphos etc.

GFO = granular ferric oxide
rust = ferric oxide

If you scrape the rust off your screws you will have granular ferric oxide. Using the stock screws that rust is no different than having screws made of phosban.

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Rust is no good. We had a problem with issue of rust in our tank. First thing we noticed that felt the effects was the anemone, he just wasn't acting right. This was several months ago now, and was due to our old Vortech magnet-- Ecotech made good on everything and sent us the new pieces asap. So no complaints there. Luckily we didn't lose anything because of it. I have no clue when exactly it started rusting but it was only in tank running for less than five months. Since we changed the parts no problems *knocks on wood* :eek:

Here's a pic of what it looked like along with the new pieces that we were sent...

DSC02500Small.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: