ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
For sometime my tank just hasn't been doing so hot, with me losing slowing one SPS after another. During that time I have been racking my brain, systematically trying to figure out what was wrong. Well today I figured it out!

Check these pictures out! :(

This is a Mag5 that was in my sump running my skimmer. See the rust.

Magdrive52.jpg

Magdrive5rust.jpg

This is what the rust was coming from.

Magdrive5screws.jpg

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Spykes - it sure would affect SPS. There are probably trace amounts of Cu in there, and it is hard to tell if it has been happening for awhile.

What I suspect was occuring is that the two pumps together probably were leaching enough metal into the tank to cause the coral deaths that I have been observing.

Either way, any metal put into the water is NOT GOOD, if it starts to rust out.

I now need to run to NW to get polyfilters and have begun the process of massive water changes.

The absolute proof will be if next week with the pumps removed my tank bounces back to health.

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'm glad you figured it out! I'd send Mag Drive those pictures, and a List of what you lost. Now I'm concerned about my mag 7 rusting out over time. I'll just have to keep checking. let us know what happens!

BC

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
OH SHEET! Shaun now that I think about it, my problems started after I added my chiller which is using an old MAG5 as a feed pump. I'll also try replacing the pump to see if my corals bounce back.

What pump are you going to use as a replacepmet?

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 99%
201   2   0
srry to hear slobby ,,but you have to remember ,,these pumps need maintances ..
ever so often you have to replace the o-riings in the pump ,if you did that ,then you can send the pics tp mag drive ,,,,
me personly ,i replace my pumps every 1 1.2 yrs just to make sure i have good working pumps a bit pricy but worht my investment ,,,as a plumber i know most pumps that run fresh water go through lots of problem ,cant imgan what these little go through in salt ,calcium ,and the rest of the thing that go into our tanks ,,
im glad you found the problem ,,but sry you lost coral,,

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Can't believe this.. You would expect that companies that releases these pumps, or others stuff we use in our tank to be cautious of this and not have anything like this ever happen.

I would assume that what ever equipment I buy for the tank that was design for a tank to be free of these engineering/mechanical problem. :mad: :mad:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
at least you found the cause. lets hope the coral will recover once any metal is out of the water.
scary, in a closed system it does not take much to affect things.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
jawwad2004 said:
OMG!!!!! I was wiring my halides while it was in the canopy over the tank, and a small piece of wiring fell into the tank! I cant find it! What should I do???!!!!!!
I would say that your only chance is to sweep it with a magnet bro. But I might be wrong cause Im drunk at the moment. But them again if you use the same magnets you use to clean the glass you should be ok....

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The magnet will pick up the wire in the tank. Place the magnet in your hand then sweep your hand across the area where you think you dropped the wire and it should stick to the magnet. If you have strong current then sweep the entire thing. I hope that you dont have anything over 180g if that is the case. Youre right, I should sober up huh....

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: