zayn

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I started this hobby about 6 months ago and I am out of control. My wife doesn't hate the fish tank but hates the time I spend on it.

oohoo...She is right here looking at me while i write this. ok gotta go before....

h20 freak

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol saw a southpark episode on AA and reminded me about this thread.

Who wants to join me in the 12 step program?

caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
My wife hates my tank but when people come over,it's a conversation piece.I will never give up the hobby unless we're moving or just flat broke.

You are so right!!! When we have friends over and they are in awe, I maximize their positive comments.. :)

Update, the storm has passed and the tank and its inhabitants are safe for now....lol

Reef Reaper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
256   0   0
I agree 110 percent!!!! The hobby is extremely addicting and very expensive also. I have not problem with the wife, because I got her into the hobby. I set up a another small nano with the fish that she likes. Now we both go for a weekly run to our lps, to see what new is in and ready for purchase!! Good Luck! She even went with me to the last Manhattan Reef Frag show!

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I agree that it can be an addiction and also that it can get between a couple if we're not smart about it - if we can figure out they way to get our partner hooked as well, that's the best case scenario - but I find that it is a GREAT way to spend family time -

my daughters LOVE the tank and are constantly asking me if they can help with the maintenance! So in our house, it's one of the things that actually helps to create family time!

Will C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Sounds like group therapy! I set up a 54 in my office bec I was not 'allowed' to set it up at home (my track record for maintenance is not so good). My wife was afraid of a swamp. Once she saw the 54 the prospect looked good for a 75 (read 90 - she'll never measure it) at home w/ one catch - a minor kitchen renovation. So after the entire kitchen is redone my tank goes in ya-hoo! I wonder what the cost per gallon is

eric

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like group therapy! I set up a 54 in my office bec I was not 'allowed' to set it up at home (my track record for maintenance is not so good). My wife was afraid of a swamp. Once she saw the 54 the prospect looked good for a 75 (read 90 - she'll never measure it) at home w/ one catch - a minor kitchen renovation. So after the entire kitchen is redone my tank goes in ya-hoo! I wonder what the cost per gallon is
If your renovation costs $1500 it will cost you $20 per gallon just to get permission for the 75; if you get a 90 gal it will cost you $16.67 a gallon for a savings of $3.33 a gallon. At $3.33 can you really afford NOT to have a 90 gal?
If you like I can pose as a contractor and we can turn the entire kitchen into a reef tank before your wife knows what hit her. The savings will be enormous.

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Gotta make the significant other like the tank! Take her/him to a pet shop and only buy a fish you guys BOTH like, let the other name it, feed them, sooo simple. My Gf had nothing to do with fish/reef or anything before she met me, while she's not as enthusiastic about the hobby, she doesn't mind that I have a tank.

Just gotta learn when to stop spending and when too much is TOO MUCH!

I know I'm young but still :eek:

Pinkheine

No More Room :-(
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
awesome post lol!! Just dont get the girls to pissed or bad things may happen lmao!!

LMAO.

It doesn't get any better when you both are as interested and have been bitten by the addiction bug. It just makes you that much more in the poor house. :lol:

We don't disagree on the tank being here, we disagree on what goes where in the tank. HAHA.

caad3

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
The addiction is real

The problem is, I know my wife would go after my tank in a divorce. Just to piss me off...lol

This has been therapy for me... At least I know I am not alone out there. While my wife likes to the tank, she really just looks at briefly and comments "Hey when did you get that fish" and my response, is "Its been there for awhile, it was always hiding".

:joke:[/quote]

danny

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
tank & Wife

My Wife looks at the money aspect of this hobby. As long as she does not take care of the tank she's happy. So I started stashing small amount of cash away each week. Then when my wife ask what I paid for the 3 boxes.(metal haides/ballast/pendant & lamp. You put $150 on the credit card & pay the $350 balance in cash. So I paid $150.lol

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: