jejton

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
my wife says i pay more attention to the fish tank then i do to her,why cant women get their own hobbies?my tank keeps me from snapping :Up_to_som

There lies the crux of the matter. My wife goes from hating to tolerating to liking my pets, reef included. I get to keep everything in the basement but the tradeoff is I do the laundry ( which I dont mind ) but for some reason she still finds cause to come down and make comments like " I thought you were organizing down here!" Not like there is any reason for her to come down there. She has her hobbies which I always encourage but for some reason she rarely spends time on them and instead wastes time nagging me about mine. My father in law tried to explain to her that when men dont have hobbies, they go to war. Thats the trick to world peace.

Scion_TC2005

RALLIART 2009
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Hobby Obsessions

I have a great wife who doesn't really care what I spend or how big my Tanks are. The key is to make them happy with their own Insterest. I spent alot $$,$$$ on Diamonde Rings, Clothes, Books, (My Wife's general Interest )and the well being of our son.

I made a deal with my wife when I started spending alot of Bills on this hobby that I would match her a Dollar for every Dollar I spent on this hobby. To show that I care for her general interest as well. My wife actually helps me pick out corals and fishes along with my son.
If you ever talk to MR Member Lazibones(Allan) he can vouche for the Bling bling on her fingers first hand. lol

So I have no issues with the family over my Obsession with Aquatic Life lol

Will C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Hey Scion TC2005, my point exactly! My wife's only worry was that it would turn into a 'swamp' and her bling is actually a kitchen. I figure in my tank's opportunity cost to the estimate of $50.00 per gallon and arive at 1,050.00 cost per gallon and conclude that what is the difference if I spend another hundred - it only adds $1.11 per gallon a mere .1 % increase - it is not a rationalization if you use math, it's logic - I think

spskibitzer

Faiva Monger
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
My fiance knows that I love my tank but I also love her, she has her Barbie Doll collection and I have my reef tank. I have told her many, many times that if she didn't let me keep a tank I would be gone in a heartbeat, it's as simple as that, no woman is gonna keep me from the one thing I totally love and enjoy :)

I had a span of about 5 years where I had no tank and I would have reef tank dreams all the time, Oh Yeah, I am in waaaay deep!

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Dude i'm addicted, were all addicted. Were screwed here! Even when things go really bad (house floods multiple times) and you want to just thrown in the towel you can't. Face it once you get in it's over with, but I sort of like it. In all honesty i know I have a problem. I am in real estate, if I have a day where I know something is wrong with my tank I can't function at work. I used to be able to just forget about it but not anymore. It will get worse and worse for ever!

Who's wife askes them to do something like a far drive to get something late at night or even mid day and if you say no she says if it was for the stupid fish tank you would be running! Happens every day of my life, but if I say ok lets get rid of the tank she says no because then you will hate me for ever. blah blah blah Smart women!

My wife has a reading addiction she spends at least $75.00 a week at Barnes and Noble. I can't even make it through one book if you paid me, unless its reef related. When ever I make a comment she says this is my hobby! Except for the fact that I buy books for all her friends too. They all know i'm the idiot who actually buys them, my wife takes 2 days tops to finish them and then they take them and usually don't return them either. I used the points on my credit card to get Barnes and Noble gift certificates, every 2,500 points was a $25.00 card I had $250.00 worth of cards. It really helped a whole month!

Last edited:

Will C

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
Hey Adamc; could you have used the points for you tank? Just think how sweet a 'free' coral is - it might actually become your favorite, until you but another next week. Gotta run my paypal acct cleared and I have to send money

dickenscd

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My wife loves dogs and cats and spent lots of money and time on them. She always compared her dogs and cats with my fish and corals. She said the fish are cold blood; I can not hug and kiss my fish like she does with her dog and cats, and my corals even stings.

I have been in this hobby for 20 years, my wife never bought anything for my tanks, and periodically audits and gives me a report of how much I spent. Right after reading ex. NY Governor Spitzer spent $4,000.- a night with a mermaid, she bought 5 Evansi Anthias for me and asked me if I need a Clarion angel in my tanks.

I think most of the complaints from your wife for your indulgence of this hobby will be disappeared if you let her know there are many worse places where a man can go or spend.

James

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
My wife loves dogs and cats and spent lots of money and time on them. She always compared her dogs and cats with my fish and corals. She said the fish are cold blood; I can not hug and kiss my fish like she does with her dog and cats, and my corals even stings.

I don't have a dog or cat but my friends do and tell me the same thing. I tell them, that is true but when a fish croaks I flush it and go get another one and forget about it.
When their dog dies they are in morning for a year or two.

drperetz

No more big tanks
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Hey, dont wanna sound discouraging but I have been in this hobby for a while untill I realized that with out time or stable finances this hobby can turn into a sad ending. I love saltwater creatures but its just so time consuming that this hobby is NOT for every1. Eating through the wallet like the gas prices.
This observation can turn aganst you if you dont properly prepare for the future. This hobby requires a lot of planning and if you dont plan it, then the obsetion will probably fade away with little care for the marine life...

Good luck to the noobs and keep up the good work to the seniors..

Just wanted to say HI...:tub::eek:

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
Hey, dont wanna sound discouraging but I have been in this hobby for a while untill I realized that with out time or stable finances this hobby can turn into a sad ending. I love saltwater creatures but its just so time consuming that this hobby is NOT for every1. Eating through the wallet like the gas prices.
This observation can turn aganst you if you dont properly prepare for the future. This hobby requires a lot of planning and if you dont plan it, then the obsetion will probably fade away with little care for the marine life...

Good luck to the noobs and keep up the good work to the seniors..

Just wanted to say HI...:tub::eek:

What ^^^^^ said.

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Ok, I thought I would throw this out there, because I sometimes feel that this hobby is a serious addiction. I'm sure others feel the same way, but my wife is starting to get seriously pissed at me lately and I wanted to get confirmation.

Help
I'm not married, so I don't share the same problems most of you guys do. My girlfriend doesn't really care how much I spend, as long as it's with MY money! She loves looking at it, but makes comments from time to time. My answer is, "it's my money, I like it". She's cool with it. Anyway, here is the best solution to all these wife issues!!!!! WE HAVE TO GET MORE WOMEN INVOLVED IN THIS HOBBY, AND ON THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Ok, I thought I would throw this out there, because I sometimes feel that this hobby is a serious addiction. I'm sure others feel the same way, but my wife is starting to get seriously pissed at me lately and I wanted to get confirmation.

Help
By the way, I AM SOOOO ADDICTED TO THIS WONDERFUL HOBBY!!!!!!

moonlightxpress825

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
there is just something about reef tanks that cant keep me away..its wierd..i am sure if i get a bird or something i wouldnt be this into it..i have tried many hobbies but this reef thing just consumes me..

Quang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
i'm a recovering addict. it's been over a year since i've last touched salt mix.

however, the temptation rushes over me when i'm left alone with my thoughts (like everyday taking the train to work). :splitspin

probe dms

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
well if anyone needs some studio time lmk. i need to support my addiction. plus i need a skimmer and some power heads...and fish and corals.. help me pleaseee!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: