emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Ugly, but I guess it guess it gets the job done. Couldn't you have wired it from the back or anything like that?
Thanks killerdrgn this isn't the first time you responded to one of my threads and all i can think is "what a douche bag" :)
This is what would be the guts of a light fixture but I am leaving it like this because I have a fish room and my tank is in the wall so none of this is seen from the viewing side of the tank besides that when the lights are on this is so bright you cant see the wires.

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Thanks killerdrgn this isn't the first time you responded to one of my threads and all i can think is "what a douche bag" :)

LMAO! +1

Here's my contribution of more ugliness to the world. Retro'd Biocube 29 hood. My dad did the installation, so I can't take credit for it. I just foot the bill :shhh:

10 Cree XR-E Cool Whites
12 Cree XR-E Royal Blues
2 3w UV LEDs

Both power supplies enclosed into an old PC power supply.

DSC00583.jpg

Top view w/3 Potentiometer for dimming

DSC00584.jpg

Last edited:

QUESTIONMARC

www.Questionmarc.com
Rating - 100%
376   0   0
Thanks killerdrgn this isn't the first time you responded to one of my threads and all i can think is "what a douche bag"

lol.. took the words right out of my brain... i guess with some people.. if they dont know.. then they just dont know..

emmanuel i would like to speak to you about converting to led and a project im working on.. i could use your advice.. please pm me the best way to get in touch with you. thanks.

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
hey widdy what are you useing as drivers Originally each of my 5 rows were wired together on a buck puck of it's own nice and neat cause the math 32 volts max on a buck puck worked for 8 led's but then I read that you can safely run only 6 bulbs per buck puck so I had to cut and rewire into 5 strings of 6 and 2 strings of 5 (thats why the wires look messy)
Are you running the lights at regular power (not max)?
Do the ultraviolet bulbs make a difference? I'm thinking of adding them also

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Hey Manny, I'm using buckpucks from LEDSUPPLY.COM: http://www.ledsupply.com/03021-d-i-1000.php and http://www.ledsupply.com/03021-d-i-700.php

My first and third row of white and royal blues is running @ 1mA. Middle row is @ 700mA, only because I wasn't sure what spec is the 2 UVs running at... so I figure better safe than sorry by overdriving it.

Although it says 6 3w LEDs, according to Cree's Datasheet max draw on each LED is 3.7v. 3.7v X 8 = 29.6v. Anything more complicated, I'll have to ask my dad to answer since he's the electrical guy.

Not enough running time to tell if the UVs is beneficial. But according to Evilc66, the UV is good for SPS.

Steve

Last edited:

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Yeah, I doubled checked LEDSupply's datasheet as well. What's your plans? Leave it driving 6 LEDs or go back to 8? Are you using thermal paste under each LED?

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Are you planning on using a par on it?

From what I've seen most plans like this power the same or slightly better then a 175MH.. I'm planning on doing the same and it should do better then my single 150MH

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
yes someone offered to come over with a meter

thanks dom

aquaprobuilder the bulbs are around $7.50 each the buck pucks $20 each the heatsink about $50 or $60 and then you got hardware , wires and power supplies
If you are doing you next one, I can hook you up with the bulbs. That will cut down the cost of your DIY.

If you want to call me please do it after 7:30pm EST as I am still VERY VERY busy in the stone business in the daytime and can answer emails during the daytime only-I do not have internet connected at my house yet. I can ship from Kansas though.

Last edited:

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
wingo your pm box is full
Here is a picture of the light temporarily on the tank the coverage is perfect I tried it over all 3 sections of the tank and there will be no unlight spots in the tank .The picture was taken with led's in the center and 2 96w pc and 150w mh on each end notice how much brighter the center is after the picture was taken I was playing with the controls and you can change the color to look like 20k 14k 10k and anything between or full actinic . I think I could have used less leds but I didnt want to risk having spot light effect .

Attachments

• IMG_2075.jpg
    IMG_2075.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 123

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
it's the picture for some reason it got overexposed in that bright spot but the light is perfectly even I think I'm only going with 4 rows of 6 for each of the sides or atleast I'll try one side like that and see how it looks the center can stay brighter since most of my sps is there anyway Looks like I'm going to have to acclimate the corals to the light .

hijinks

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
do you know the watt draw of it.. i know the PSU's and buck pucks aren't 100% efficient.. wondering what the difference is for you compared to your old MH's

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: