emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
For anyone that switched from MH to led's in a reef did you notice any difference in coral growth , color and overall health?

I made a led light fixture for my pico tank you can check it out here 3rd page http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/tank-threads/53851-my-upgrade-2-gallons.html it took a lot of research and a lot of work but I could not be happier with the results.There is no heat going into the tank and hardly any electricity being used . I was so happy with it that I placed a big order to make a fixture for 1/3 of my 125 gallon tank to see how it comes out and in the fall if I like what I see I'll make the rest of the tank led.The assembly will be small enough to fit in my existing fixture and according to the specs should have the intensity of a 400 mh but to know for sure I'm going to have to borough a lux meter anyone ? :eek:
The lights just like my pico's fixture will have controls for intensity and color .
The calculated savings in electricity and bulbs for the year is $550 and that's not including the fact that I wont need fans and a chiller running as much if not at all.

ILikeFish

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 25%
1   3   0
I am also thinking of making the switch. Do you have any details of how you "made a led light fixture"? Did you buy the LEDs and assemble or use a retro kit?

I found a spot that sells custom color 20W LEDs? I was thinking about going with 10 kor 12 k LEDs as LEDs make the color pop so much...

How many watts per Gal are you using. I was thinking about getting 10 20watt bulbs for a 150 gal?

Rating - 100%
204   0   0
Manny whats up man! I have a 72 inch LED Solaris Light.

Coral Growth: Great
Clams, LPS, softies mostly.

Electric: GREAT!!! really helps out when ConEd decides to jack up the bill in the summer. I do have a chiller but barely run it.

HEAT: Very minimum

You live a few blocks away so feel free to come check it out if you want.

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Whats the advantages going LED intead of T5?
no annual bulb replacement if you run led's for 10 hours a day they should last about 13.5 years at the rated 50000 hour life
Ilikefish I am using 40 3w leds with 44 degree optics half blue half white for 1/3 of my 125 (6 foot long) tank
I temporarily set up the small fixture I made with only 5 led's and no optics on my 125 and it looks comparable to the 150 mh but not as wide spread the shimmer was way too much but thats cause 1 of my vortechs is close to the top of the tank

Widdy

Vendor
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
Got any pics? I'll be switching from HOT5 to LEDs, so my comparison will be off. I've never seen shimmering, only from moonlights, so I'll probably get the WOW! factor that you MH folks are accustomed to...

I have 3 rows of 8 LEDs; 10 Cree XR-E Cool Whites, 12 Cree XR-E Royal Blues + 2 UV. I ordered both 40 and 60 degree optics, I'll be running 60 degrees in the rear and middle row, directly above my rocks. 40 degrees will be up front above the sandbed for deeper light penetration. evilc66 is an incredible teacher ;)

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
charlie that would be awsome
widdy the shimmering is a little too much for me but again I have the vortech making tidal waves on the top part of my tank but even on my pico with just a aquaclear50 you see some nice shimmer and yes evil is great ;)

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
the fixture is done just waiting for another power supply I am running one for the whites and one for the blues I turned the fixture on with only half the lights and it's brighter than my 150 metal halides

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
here's a picture the black box has the controls for controlling the intensity and color on each row . Overall I'm happy with the outcome but it cost me a little over $600 in material not to mention all the work so I'm having second thoughts of making another 2 fixtures for the rest of my 6 foot long 125 even though it would pay itself off in 3 years just in light bulb replacements and electric not to mention the savings of not having to cool the water. Who knows i might even offer it for sale .

Attachments

• IMG_2074.jpg
    IMG_2074.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 189

emmanuel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
yes 44 degrees but I might run the back row with no optics being that the corals in the back of the tank are only 6-8 inches away from the surface I can use the 90-100 degree spread back there

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: