herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Just to recap what Anders says in easier English cause his statements are right on the money:

Cooking = Process in which undesireable elements are removed and desireable life is kept ie aerobic and anarobic bacteria which is why the term live rock is used.

How = Place the LR in a vat or tank in a dark room (no light). Keep the skimmer running. Swish the rocks in the water to aid the shedding process. Do regular water changes.

Time = One month at least. Some even go for three months.

With this process you will have some very desireable BB conditions.

stingnyc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
hermangareis said:
Just to recap what Anders says in easier English cause his statements are right on the money:

Cooking = Process in which undesireable elements are removed and desireable life is kept ie aerobic and anarobic bacteria which is why the term live rock is used.

How = Place the LR in a vat or tank in a dark room (no light). Keep the skimmer running. Swish the rocks in the water to aid the shedding process. Do regular water changes.

Thanks Herman,

This english version is much easier to read :)

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
345   0   0
hermangareis said:

Thanks Herman. Nice and easy for my slow ass to read after school :D.

Loving the debate/discussion makes me learn more :D.

DRZL

**ROCKSTAR**
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey!
I used English too! :irked:

I broke it down alot and used examples, certain things are just what they are, anyways this wasnt a how to but a more how come and why

Alot of people are confused about what being BB really means. It took alot of reading and re-reading in those most un-layman, and dare I say pompous, RC chats w/ bomber and others battling it out.
I hope that ive been a help in understanding otherwise I just wasted 10 min of my life for nuthin :banghead:

Speaking of wasting my life, my GF's calling ;)
:joke:

Last edited:

ctxmonitor

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
DRZL said:
and my name's Andres damn it!

LOL..

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Ok.. Back to the subject.. What the next step in going barebottom?

Step 1: Getting the good kind of starboard..

Step 2: Manage and planned out the flow in the tank.. So crud, crap, shedd, die off will be blow into the water column and back into the overflow, into the sump, then into the skimmer..ehe..

Damn, this second step took 7 pages to get to.. And I thought it was going to be an easy step :banghead: :banghead:

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
DRZL said:
Hey!
I used English too!

I broke it down alot and used examples, certain things are just what they are, anyways this wasnt a how to but a more how come and why

Alot of people are confused about what being BB really means. It took alot of reading and re-reading in those most un-layman, and dare I say pompous, RC chats w/ bomber and others battling it out.
I hope that ive been a help in understanding otherwise I just wasted 10 min of my life for nuthin

well you have distilled all the RC threads nicely, and now Herman has distilled yours down even more. one paragraph, the dummies guide to cooking rock :sgrin:

those RC threads are still going on.

I'm glad you and shaun have the energy to discuss it, in length.

I did not have the time to cook my rock, otherwise I would have.

As for cooking it in the tank as I did, that worked as well, you just need to

keep up with the water changes, a good practice anyway.

Without cooking, your barebottom tank will take anywhere from six months

to a year to stabilize. IMO.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Your keeping us in suspense her man and we are waiting for the secret. If it got anything to do with you running naked in the streets a good bit** slapping is in order. That reminds me of a good story about me losing a bet and having to run naked then police got involved etc etc. Ill keep that one for the bar over beers.

Andres, I got it. Sorry man.

FastUno

Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Man, don't you just hate when people keep you hanging?

Anyway this one is going to be somewhat long & I will have to save it for when I get home. It would be immoral to use up company time on MR.:D

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
you say Anders I say Andres, :P

running naked + Police = funny
I can't wait for this one.

back to the barebottom discussion.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Hey Uno - Suspense is killing me! Go home already!!!! Whats wrong with using company time? When was the last time you took a holiday. When was the last time your boss gave you a pat on your shoulder and told you what a brilliant employee you are? Screw the company. Its MR time....

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Andres,
When I said partially sterile, I didn't mean a BB system. I meant the cooking process which kills off much of the life on the rocks, that is not nessesarily a good thing.

I am not against cooking rock, I am actually cooking some rock right now, :) .

One thing I would like to know is "How is the phosphate bound up in the rock that is being released?" Is it organic phosphate or inorganic phosphate (dendritis stuck in the rock)? I actually don't believe the idea that all rocks are inorganic phosphate sinks, waiting to release phosphate at a moments chance. Wouldn't they release this phosphate in a DSB tank just as much as a BB tank.

ShaunW

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Nsr250NYC said:
ok so what you guys saying is that dsb is bad and bb is good? im confused
I'm saying neither. Both systems are good.

The benefit to a BB systems is that you can have huge amounts of flow in the tank. Corals like SPS like this alot for their growth. Dendritis also doesn't build up in a BB tank because of the increased flow and the positioning of powerheads on the starboard on the bottom of the tank.

But the downside is that you no longer have the ability to export nitrate because bacteria that break down nitrate are anaerobic and need an environment devoid of oxygen. Sand beds provide this environment. So in a BB tank you really need to pay attention to the build up of organic waste (dendritis) and follow all the normal husbandry techniques normally performed.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: