Status
Not open for further replies.

Slamajamajama

Because Thats How I Roll.
Rating - 98.2%
54   1   0
First, I'm was not even a member when this site began, but from what i was told the swap events where small with just a group of friends swapping corals from their tanks. I had came on board when it was still this way but it was also growing to include more and more new members.

To be honest I feel there is enough vendors, the vast selection of corals is amazing and over the last years it seems that the quality of the corals has increased 3 fold. The layouts provide them with enough space and considerable enough room for buyers to view their selections. The swap volunteers help them set up relatively painless and with or resident electrician, I haven't heard of any complaints.

I agree with hov about possibly moving the food to another area, say the cafeteria...?
or away from the main swap area, this will allow, as pink had mention, more area for members to swap and talk reefing.

Environmental conditions vary from swap to swap (Spring/Fall), and a i am a cold weather person and i felt the heat as well, but it wasnt THAT bad. The events are adequate for the time that we have, generally 2 speakers, tours, and demos. The swap volunteers cater to everyone that's in need of assistance. Maybe we do need a more committed team of volunteers for clean up, its the dirty job no one wants to stay for and this needs to be addressed. The auction needs to be reworked to have peeps sitting so all can see what is up for auction and so all who want to bid can be seen. Also maybe taking some pics of the items so that we can show them on screen so everyone, even in the back, can see whats being auctioned off, it seemed that only those who crowded the front were able to bid and see what was available

I feel that this is important part of the history of Manhattan Reefs and what i feel should not be lost for the sake of more. Its that closeness and intimate settings that most members still feel and appreciate to this day.

Understand that this isn't an Expo Center event nor, i feel, it should be. The family atmosphere, the intimate settings and the friends we see should make this event now and in the future something we all are happy to be involved with.

I know there is money involved but lets not lose touch with what makes our swaps special and sometimes unique, yes i live in the here and now and this has all grown so much to include so many, but what happened to just enjoying what it is, and maybe dealing with some minor frustrations to see our friends, buy and swap our corals and maintain something that in the back of our minds we know to be one of a kind.

We don't need an expo center, we don't need more vendors, what we need in a stressed out world is just what we all attended this past weekend....Manhattan Reefs Spring Frag Swap

I want to know...did anyone NOT walk out of Pratt with a smile and good vibes?

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
:tongue1: Response in RED

really? you dont have to tell the true yo!...lol have to! I already wrote in the sales slip when I traded. IRS will eventually find out when they audit me. I will be eventually audited as I have a reseller no. registered with them. Sad thing but what else can I do I don't wanna stay in a cell for 8 years.

it seems like you forgot swap is a gathering for members not for Vendors to sale only! Never forgot, if you trace back what I said in the thread(as long as you don't bias towards that I have a secret agenda,) all my arguements I think for both parties and speak for both parties.

vendors have their whole stores where people can shop from and i love winnuts garage shop. dont get me wrong i like vendors being there too. perhaps you should set up a special winnut garage vendors swap one day...:tongue1::tongue1::tongue1: interesting suggestion, I will consider

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
The auction needs to be reworked to have peeps sitting so all can see what is up for auction and so all who want to bid can be seen. Also maybe taking some pics of the items so that we can show them on screen so everyone, even in the back, can see whats being auctioned off, it seemed that only those who crowded the front were able to bid and see what was available

Good idea! We have a lot of talented photographers as members. A little more effort but worth it.

Domboski

No Coral Here
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
It is a good idea, but one that requires that we know what the items are in advance which is just not the way it happens. It would also require that the person who is supposed to bring the projector actually brings it.:smash:

All we have to do is make arrangements to get the items before hand. If we needed a second projector someone probably should have asked me. It was in my car the whole time............

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It is a good idea, but one that requires that we know what the items are in advance which is just not the way it happens. It would also require that the person who is supposed to bring the projector actually brings it.:smash:
Ditto..the majority of those items aren't there until sometimes after the event starts. The 2nd project that we thought we had to be able to show the winning raffle numbers didn't materalize...ahh, the best laid plans....

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
i think someone or someone's who really know how to use a camera would have been a nice demo, seeing we have 1 or 2 professional photographers. just my opinon, but the fall swap is always better. not taking away from the spring swap, but it is around tax time, summer is beginning and people are cutting lawns ect. as the forum grows so do the problems and complaints. reguardless i will continue to attend every swap, like i said earlier, i enjoy more of the getting to see alot of the people i never see any other time. as for the food, is there a reason we couldnt have used the caffeteria right next door ? that would have cleared alot of room and stuff up

DrCooper

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I would love a demo on how to frag zoas properly! I have gotten better yet still seem to get alot more glue on my fingers!

One thing I forgot to post is a HUGE THANK YOU to all of you that take your own time to help and plan out this event!

jabol

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
I enjoyed the swap too. It was a great opportunity to meet and talk to other members. I personally believe that the selection of corals was great. It was a little bit hot, but you really cannot control that. Actually, when I got home, my apartment was even hotter:)

Anyways, I believe that future coral auctions could be supported by a photo presentation. In addition, food & drinks could be served in another room if possible; this way, the swap area would be less congested and messy:)

onegreenray

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
This was my second swap and my girlfriend Amy?s first. We had a great time, yes the heat was bad, but its the price you pay for being in a room with ten open top tanks with halides on them. Just think people pay for sauna treatments like that.. We got it for free.

My opinion moving the food would have been a good idea but I can see people getting caught in that small walk thru to the cafeteria. That would be a fire hazard.

As far as vendors and member selling to each other. I have been floating all the forums looking for specific zoas for the last two months. Only certain members had the zoas I wanted. But then again only certain vendors had the deep-water zoas and one of a kind zoas I wanted.

In short the long island reef association had similar problems with where they where holding there meetings and charging members a fee for selling. Guys it was a bad idea. Hate to say it but not everyone is honest and is going to pay the fee. We had a vendor who wasn't happy about member sales and trades and all in all a lot of people got annoyed and walked away from the club for many years.

Reason I like MR is there isn't any of that political BS. Nice people, etc.

If any thing ask all who are selling to please donate a frag or two to the for sale bins. An idea I had was I took a picture of the zoa frag I donated and had taped it to the outside of the bag. The put that into another bag to cover the picture. I gave it to Amy to put over with all the frags and watched someone grab it as soon as they put it in the bins. Didn?t last five minutes. With zoas I thought it was a good idea for people to see what they where actually getting.

I bought, from members, vendors, donated, sold, and spent a stupid amount of money on the raffle for the 8-gallon bio cube for Amy. Which she just had to have? So all in all I think everyone profited from this venue and had a great time. I am sorry I didn't even think to stay back and clean, with Amy in tow it slipped my mind. I would have gladly helped.

This year the vendors had some sweet corals of all different genius. I know I came home with 11 frags.

To all the MR staff, vendors, and members thank you we both had a great time meeting you all and spending the day.

CHEMCHEF

PERMANOOB
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
My only complaint was that I couldnt Go:eek:
Maybe we could do this on a weekday next. For people in the service industry. LOL
I will even cook!!!! I can guarantee with the Chefs on this site. There wil be no food complaints. We have cooked for presidents, movie stars, The list goes on and on
JMO

Rating - 99.1%
225   2   0
Every was great except guys hogging up space infront of venders!
Give us newbee's a chance!

LOL.

Stay on this forum more and you will get many goodies(a lot of freebies too) from members and also specials from vendors from time to time.

My bois is surprised when he saw my neighbor's tank is almost wiped out. He also exclamated when he saw a coral costing 3 something hundred dollars-he has seen corals before but not into it so he has no idea the price of these things can be so scary. So I assume you want us to give you the chance of getting the 3 something hundred dollar ones, right?
:tongue1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: