Rating - 100%
90   0   0
I seem to be having a problem with 2 PH probes in my tank. Basically when both of them are in the water, neither of them show the proper reading. The manufacturer states that there is some sort of loop in the tank. They recommended using a grounding probe to test everything out.

Can anyone tell me a foolproof way to attach the probe to ground? The outlets near my tank have very short screws on the faceplate so I don't think they are going to properly ground the probe.

johnvic

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
A cold water pipe is a standard ground. Make sure you are touching metal and not paint or corrosion.

Ground is ground all around, except in England where it's earth.

OctaviousMonk

Sucka Free Reefin' !!!
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
you can get a grounding probe plug which goes into a regular 3 prong outlet and pull your ground from there. That would ground your tank and ph probe. Or if you are electrically inclined you can run a ground behind your wall plate to the box or building ground

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
i agree on removing the face plate and attach the ground wire to one of the screws holding the outlet inside the box, you only have to loosen a screw and wrap the wire around the the screw.

ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Would it be possible to ground by plugging a ground into a GFCI that is plugged into the wall?

When you ground with a screw inside the box, is the screw that holds the face cover on the outlet, or a screw underneath the face cover of the outlet?

georgelc86

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Josh, the screw on the faceplate should be grounded to the housing of the receptacle. If you have an outlet tester, you should be able to place one prong in the socket and the other on the faceplate screw, that should give you a positive reading and there you can ground to the faceplate screw.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: