juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
with your cyano outbreak in your fuge and a limited sand bed in the display, i would think you are having some sort of nutrient overload from your sand and fuge.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
my normal camra batteries are dead. these are iphone pictures:

http://fuzzyshot.com/photos/73/xl_1246929541_802e3e09e22472ad169b05a1f33bfe73.jpg
Cool Macro Algae: what is it? See the dead SPS in the yellow pyolps?

http://fuzzyshot.com/photos/fb/xl_1246929555_8922b895461653c0d35de42787352dfb.jpg
Cyano on the sand. Acans/clam seem to be un-effected

http://fuzzyshot.com/photos/07/xl_1246929566_299c3673cdfe942e89b93550463d0807.jpg
Hammer not looking hot. That Slimer is JUST starting to get white death on it.

http://fuzzyshot.com/photos/5c/xl_1246929609_524f54ffc5f3d5bc73a08f8a5724925c.jpg
This used to have crazy polyp extension. Now nothing and its not looking to good

http://fuzzyshot.com/photos/83/xl_1246929620_fec0945bde2f1570a34ce0dd042ca483.jpg
Obvious.

http://fuzzyshot.com/photos/e7/xl_1246929629_9f14c5d629ebc8eed06f494ecfd374e7.jpg
see the white line going down the monti on the left of it? that started a week ago. till then its been growing like nuts

Social D

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure pics arent always needed but if every question started with a picture it would stop guess work to a degree .. Nitrate can vary from day to day but if its floating around 10ppm on a new test kit i dont see a problem, Not perfect but cant personally see it crashing a tank or causing it to start.

Social D

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah pics do speak volumes! .. Nothing out the ordinary imo, White death?

Looks like healthy growth tips on the green slimer to me, i dont see any die back from the base.

Were these pics taken close to a water change? .. I see possibly carnage from a fish care to list what you have?

The white line on the monti is normal its just growth

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
For sure pics arent always needed but if every question started with a picture it would stop guess work to a degree .. Nitrate can vary from day to day but if its floating around 10ppm on a new test kit i dont see a problem, Not perfect but cant personally see it crashing a tank or causing it to start.

You're not getting what I'm saying. The could be a lot higher but he's doing a large water change each week. Also it's been an on going thing not just starting.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Ah pics do speak volumes! .. Nothing out the ordinary imo, White death?

Looks like healthy growth tips on the green slimer to me, i dont see any die back from the base.

Were these pics taken close to a water change? .. I see possibly carnage from a fish care to list what you have?

The white line on the monti is normal its just growth

White outline on the monti is healthy. not right down the middle. You know how when Acroproas/mili die there 'scales' (for lack of better term) start to turn white (die)? thats happening to my sps.

I do run all fish food through a strainer also. my war coral is doing crappy too.

So we're in concension its nitrates or the lights?

Social D

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup but those pics dont show to me any signs of tank a tank crashing, Far from it it lookes quite healthy to me, The only thing i can spot if the lack of experience ..white tips do get confused with die-back

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
The bulbs aren't even a year old, so I wouldn't think that they're the problem. I think the problem is from the bad RODI water. I would get new good water and do some water changes. I would also add carbon and polypads, to remove any bad stuff that got into the water.

The clam in the picture looks good. Has any corals died yet?

Social D

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure it a water problem .. What kinda skimmer do you use ..Seriotapora can be awkward to colour up if nutrients are high, Given the slime algae it might be worth checking the TDS reading of your Ro water this may play a part in the problem if you havent changed the filters and DI for a while, You could be adding unwanted nutrients whilst performing water changes not the other way around

mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
looks like a definite problem from the pics.

If it could be your water got polluted, you need to start a large water change regimen; in addition to running lots of carbon, purigen, or chemipure. I wold run carbon and purigen like a nut, overdo it completely. I did that after my protein skimmer pump blew and my water turned to an oil spill. The water changes will also help your ~10 nitrates.

morphiii

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 95.2%
20   1   0
Check if any of your pumps are rusting. The cyano can release a lot of toxin into the tank.

Get rid of them quick with some red slime remover or something.

+1 on the carbon and skim wetter for a while.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
I know you said your phosphates are reading 0 but that can be false. Do you know anyone who has one a Hanna tester? I know jim has one, maybe he can test your water.

BINGO!

Cyano and other algae is a sure sign of high phosphate. This would effect your SPS and LPS but not the palys so much. Is it possible there is a pest messing with the palys?
Either way I would do a few good sized water changes and run a small amount of phosban in a reactor changed weekly until all algae subsides.

Last edited:

MIKE NY

Two Decade Club
Rating - 100%
204   0   0
BINGO!

Cyano and other algae is a sure sign of high phosphate. This would effect your SPS and LPS but not the palys so much. Is it possible there is a pest messing with the palys?
Either way I would do a few good sized water changes and run a small amount of phosban in a reactor changed weekly until all algae subsides.
x2...cyano/algae outbreak = nutriants

mandown123

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
you know what though, yeah he has some nutrients, but Montipora Capricornus is not a very demanding coral. If his monti is suffering, it isn't because of a few nitrates. Same with his frogspawn. Not a demanding coral.

I say that is not the problem.

jackson6745

SPS KILLER
Rating - 99%
201   2   0
Nitrates are not the cause, not at 10ppm. I have seem many flourishing tanks with no3 as high as 50ppm. The problem is with nitrates comes phosphates, and conventional testkits absolutely suck for testing including elos and salifert. A keen eye is the best tester IME. Cyano=phosphate. It is that simple.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: