MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
for about two months now my tank is slowly declining. Corals are starting to show signs of declining more and more. Fish SEEM to be fine. Here are my current FULL system parameters:

Total Gallons: 100~

MAG 1275
CAL 400~
ALK 8.3
NO3 10~
PO4 0
PH 8.1 8.4

ammonia, nitraite: 0

I got my t5s the end of last september. I have replacements im putting in tonight. but i cant figure out what is causing this decline? The Cal and Mag are slightly low, but I am slowly raising the Cal.

I also have a lot of cyano thats been increasing. I changed my fuge bulb and my chaeto and other micro algae are growing at a normal rate. the cyano is brown, neon green in color.

Could ALL this by due to warn out bulbs? I did a 30 gallon water change Friday, and it didnt seem to help anything but even off my params.

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
what salt level do you keep the tank at?

Do you feed your corals?

Have you changed any type of flow?

How often are you doing water changes?

What salt do you use?

Do you have any pictures?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
what is alk also, what are you using to test parms and salinity ? using a rodi ? do you spray anything around tank or room close too ? perfume ect ? have kids ?

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Salinity is 1.026
No flow change in 5 months
20g water changes once a week
Crystals and oceanic

This is happening to Favias, Palys, SPS, LPS. everything
I dont really feed the corals. once a month maybe, but ive had them for a year and never fed them and didnt have an issue. Ones i cant feed are dying also.

Return pump is ehiem 1260

All kits are newer Salfiert tests. I spray a rag away from the tank with windex to clean the glass. none ever gets in. Last time i did this was 2 months ago though. I dont burn candles or have ANYONE playing around it. I dont have kids :eek:

Pic soon

what salt level do you keep the tank at?

Do you feed your corals?

Have you changed any type of flow?

How often are you doing water changes?

What salt do you use?

Do you have any pictures?

Last edited:

D1J8Z

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
"I spray a rag away from the tank with windex to clean the glass. none ever gets in."

This might be the absolute worst thing you could be doing Windex is an ammonia based cleaner. Just use a little bit of fresh water and a squeegee. Costs less and looks crystal clear with out using harmful chemicals near your tank.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
1.026 is perfect for corals. Ive been using Crystals for 3 months now. I switch between the two salts every 2 buckets or so.

Yeah, ill stop the windexing. but that wouldnt cause all of this. I would have to just about directly spray it into the tank for any true negitive effects.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Are you nitrates running over or around 10? That could be your problem. They maybe running higher but the 20gal water change is keeping the down but they're actually higher. That would make sense as you're have a Cyano problem too.

That issue is due to me having a 20 foot RODI wtaer tube running to my tankl. the stagnet water has a high TDS (i discovered this recently) so my top offs have been putting crap in the water. This has been corrected as of last week.

I just feel like im missing something...

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
That issue is due to me having a 20 foot RODI wtaer tube running to my tankl. the stagnet water has a high TDS (i discovered this recently) so my top offs have been putting crap in the water. This has been corrected as of last week.

I just feel like im missing something...

That could also be your problem. I would run carbon, poly pads and turn up the skimmer. What type of skim are you getting>?

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
the stag water could def be a problem as well as the glass cleaner, even though you aren't spraying it over the tank, any airisol or pump has a mist to it also, over a period of time could definately cause a slow dying process, i don't believe it is salts either, been trying diff salts every 6 months or so for 3 yr's, stag water can and will have a slow term effect, i hadn't cleaned mine for 3 month's, just kept adding more ro di water to tub next to tank, finally went to clean pump and it was slime coated, as well as bottom of tub. was basically dosing everything i was fighting not to have, if you still have or can get the stag water test it, another over a period of time slow death.

also check for copper, you never know, :irked:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: