ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
i had my mp40 for over a year and i did have some problems with power supply and wetside. but i got a replacement really quick and he also checked my wet side impeller when i sent it in and told me everything was in working order. and its been working ever since... I have alot of high end electronics in my home that i paid a lot of money for.(BOSE SOUND SYSTEMS, SAMSUNG LED TELEVISIONS,PLAYSTATION 3, XBOX 360, GE REFRIGERATOR...ALL OF WHICH I HAD TO HAVE SERVICED DUE TO MANUFACTURE DEFECT WITHIN 1ST YEAR) AND IT SEEM SOME OF THE MOST EXPENSIVE ONES GIVE PROBLEMS OR DONT WORK AS DESIGNED AT TIMES!!!. sometimes the most important thing is how far is the company going to go to fix it

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
In theory, they are great! They ARE great while they work, but they should work on these faults. It doesn't matter how good their customer service is, they shouldn't sell something until they work out the bugs. Especially at those prices. Putting my tank at risk, and wasting my time every few months is not my idea of a good dependable product.

Chiefmcfuz

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I have had to replace other power heads because they have burnt out, (Rio's and MaxiJets, aqua clears and powersweeps) Things happen, especially when dealing with things that spin at such a high rate of speed. I love the products.

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have had to replace other power heads because they have burnt out, (Rio's and MaxiJets, aqua clears and powersweeps) Things happen, especially when dealing with things that spin at such a high rate of speed. I love the products.
I agree, to a point with you Chief, but I have a Maxi-Jet, and 2 Koralia 3's that have been spinning at max for almost 2 years (periodic cleaning of course) without a hiccup. Like I said, in theory, awesome. Realistically, unfinished on the drawing board.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
Over the past year and a half I have also witnessed a design change in the wet side prop. Maybee some of you can relate. The original wet side had a prop shaft that went half way down to a metal shaft/slip peice. The newer ones are plastic all the way from the actual prop blades down the whole shaft. All I can say is yes it is a pain in the neck to keep returning them but they are impoving their products and until something better comes along i am sticking with them.

stoneriff

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Over the past year and a half I have also witnessed a design change in the wet side prop. Maybee some of you can relate. The original wet side had a prop shaft that went half way down to a metal shaft/slip peice. The newer ones are plastic all the way from the actual prop blades down the whole shaft. All I can say is yes it is a pain in the neck to keep returning them but they are impoving their products and until something better comes along i am sticking with them.
I wish you luck. I'm considering ditching them. Think of what would happen to your tank if you're away for a few days, and these things fail. I know it could happen with anything, but like I stated in my previous posts, my Koralias, and Maxi-Jets haven't failed. I'm just ticked that something so expensive has proven to be so unreliable.

ClosetFishGeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
114   0   0
I wish you luck. I'm considering ditching them. Think of what would happen to your tank if you're away for a few days, and these things fail. I know it could happen with anything, but like I stated in my previous posts, my Koralias, and Maxi-Jets haven't failed. I'm just ticked that something so expensive has proven to be so unreliable.

I understand your frustration. I think all of us here have had some type of failure(or many) with all aspects of our Hobby...lighting, pumps, skimmers, wavemakers, controllers, heaters....ahh you get my drift...I hope everything works out for you. It is sort of like owning a buisness. Somedays are good days others are bad but perfect ones are a rarity. Okay I am totally going of subject. Good luck

fernandokng

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I just got the replacement shaft. Do you know why the shorten version is supposed to be better?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0

I agree, to a point with you Chief, but I have a Maxi-Jet, and 2 Koralia 3's that have been spinning at max for almost 2 years (periodic cleaning of course) without a hiccup. Like I said, in theory, awesome. Realistically, unfinished on the drawing board.

Outside of the Large Rio's PH I've never had a problem with a PH burning out or breaking down, hell I have some PH from the early 80's that still work fine. Maybe it's asking too much but when I buy a PH, filter or a pump I expect it to work and run without any problems, outside of cleaning it.

Personal I just can't see investing that much money into a product that breaks down so much. As a matter of fact there isn't one post in this thread that would make me get one, if anything this thread leads me to the decision not to get one.

Last edited:

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
EcoTech said that the new shaft and bearing has no functional purpose. They changed it to save themselves money. However, I believe that because it is lighter, it should require less energy to spin and will have less wear and tear in the long run.

lunner

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I have 3 MP40w, 2 G2 and 1 upgraded G1. Only problem was the rusting of the G1 wetside magnet. But that was addressed with the G2 upgrade. Other then that, no problem with them. G1 2+ years old, G2 1+ year old.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: